Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turbo selection?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 07:21 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo selection?

For my 1jzgte. I want something ball bearing, and can get my car in the 550rwhp range. I was thinking maybe a Garrett GT-35R?
Old 06-15-05, 10:23 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im thinking get the motor in the car and go from there
Old 06-16-05, 05:14 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by got_trd
im thinking get the motor in the car and go from there

I was thinking that, but since i already have it all apart, why put it back together again, and then take it apart again? Right now everything is very accessable, so im going to just wait and save $$$ and take advantage of it. Ill put it in once i got a single turbo and injectors on it and then go from there. I'm not in a hurry to get the motor in the car
Old 06-16-05, 05:38 AM
gowest
Driver

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
I was thinking that, but since i already have it all apart, why put it back together again, and then take it apart again? Right now everything is very accessable, so im going to just wait and save $$$ and take advantage of it. Ill put it in once i got a single turbo and injectors on it and then go from there. I'm not in a hurry to get the motor in the car
Because your want to know that your swap was completely perfect. Drop in the engine and geting rid of all the bugs first. Make sure all the wiring is correct. After engine run smoothly and then you can go single. Remember this is used engine so it must be some thing that need to be fixed b4 you put big hp on it.

Unless you want stronger internal (forge piston, piston rod, cam) then it a different approach.

Check this out it very useful http://www.moreboost.org/turbo_detail.htm
I like HKS GT3540.

Last edited by gowest; 06-16-05 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-16-05, 06:51 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

How much boost do you want to run to make that 550whp? The GT35R is a good turbo, and would spool up decently quick on that 2.5L, but you'd have to probably run upper 20's for boost to make 550whp. The GT3767 (GT37 exhaust wheel/67mm compressor inducer) is also a good choice of turbo. It will start making better power per psi after 27-ish psi but at that point, it'll be making upper 500s to well into the 600s(so if you think that's what you want, go for it). Upto that, it still makes good power, but is a little laggier than a GT35/61mm based turbo (just because it has bigger exhaust and compressor wheels).

Last edited by CP_Ree; 06-16-05 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-16-05, 11:20 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Well then good luck when you go from driving that 16.9 second SC everyday to a 12 second SC and put it in a wall or tree like a certain someone.

IMO, build it in stages starting with stock so you can get used to the power and the car itself and make it faster from there. Esp. since its your only car
Old 06-16-05, 04:38 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

For my 1jzgte. I want something ball bearing, and can get my car in the 550rwhp range. I was thinking maybe a Garrett GT-35R?
GT35R will definitely get you there... should make that kind of power around 21-22psi I'd imagine.... they can put out enough air to run up to 650whp...
Old 06-17-05, 12:23 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
GT35R will definitely get you there... should make that kind of power around 21-22psi I'd imagine.... they can put out enough air to run up to 650whp...
I don't see that happening with a 2.5L. The 3.0 would've done it on 21-22 psi easily.
Old 06-17-05, 12:16 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

why does everyone think i dont know about cars?
im not even going to describe my background history, aint worth my time.

so quit giving me **** and im asking for help from fellow lexus owners on what a good turbo would be. i bought my lexus to swap, i havnt even owned the car a month yet, is that why you all are *****ing? i thought ppl would like the idea of a nice hp swapped 1jz sc300, but it seems like more and more all im getting is a big glass of hatorade. I work one full time job, and im also starting up 2 business's, powdercoating and RI
Old 06-17-05, 12:49 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

big glass of hatorade.
hahaha you said hatorade. sorry, i thought that was kinda funny
Old 06-17-05, 01:26 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by guessd
I don't see that happening with a 2.5L. The 3.0 would've done it on 21-22 psi easily.
why not? the ultra-glorified AMS Evo with the 4g63 stroked to 2.3L did it plenty fine... 600awhp at ~28psi? (i know it makes that kind of power because i saw my friends R1 tear a new one into that EVO... and then watch the EVO tear a new one into a lot of the really fast locals)... i figure a slightly bigger motor with a bigger powerband, a motor designed for higher rpms, and the extra torque from being a 6-cyl would be able to manage 550 just fine at lower boost levels...

the 1jz has a higher powerband than the 3.0 does and will make up the torque difference with rpms... JDM 1jz vs JDM 2jz, the 1jz has smaller turbos and same boost level yet still makes the same power

Last edited by Bean; 06-17-05 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-17-05, 01:55 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

For the 1J I'm a fan of this Garret GT3040R. Should push some pretty decent power too. For the level your wanting I would probably go with the .82 A/R turbine.

Here are some details: GT3040R
Old 06-17-05, 06:01 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

why not? the ultra-glorified AMS Evo with the 4g63 stroked to 2.3L did it plenty fine... 600awhp at ~28psi? (i know it makes that kind of power because i saw my friends R1 tear a new one into that EVO... and then watch the EVO tear a new one into a lot of the really fast locals)... i figure a slightly bigger motor with a bigger powerband, a motor designed for higher rpms, and the extra torque from being a 6-cyl would be able to manage 550 just fine at lower boost levels...

the 1jz has a higher powerband than the 3.0 does and will make up the torque difference with rpms... JDM 1jz vs JDM 2jz, the 1jz has smaller turbos and same boost level yet still makes the same power
Not to get off topic,

A normal R1 beat that EVO? If so, then that's kinda sad. That Evo should've been able to keep up and pull on a liter bike. I've raced an R1 bike and pulled at 600whp in my talon. My buddy's 690whp heavy *** MKIV pulled on a newer 03-ish R1. We both trapped 130+ mph in the 1/4. Not saying that it didn't happen, but maybe the Evo was down on power during that run because it shoulda walked an R1.

Back on topic:
Maybe the GT35R will make that power, maybe it won't at that boost. A local T66 powered 1JZ only made that much power (mid 500s) on 27 psi for boost....and that was with a bigger turbo. This is just my bench racing predictions of power as the EVO's head probably flows quite a bit better than the 1JZ head also.

Last edited by CP_Ree; 06-17-05 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-17-05, 11:03 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by guessd
Not to get off topic,

A normal R1 beat that EVO? If so, then that's kinda sad. That Evo should've been able to keep up and pull on a liter bike. I've raced an R1 bike and pulled at 600whp in my talon. My buddy's 690whp heavy *** MKIV pulled on a newer 03-ish R1. We both trapped 130+ mph in the 1/4. Not saying that it didn't happen, but maybe the Evo was down on power during that run because it shoulda walked an R1.

Back on topic:
Maybe the GT35R will make that power, maybe it won't at that boost. A local T66 powered 1JZ only made that much power (mid 500s) on 27 psi for boost....and that was with a bigger turbo. This is just my bench racing predictions of power as the EVO's head probably flows quite a bit better than the 1JZ head also.
Naw it wouldnt have touched this R1... its a 2004... 03-ish is the older model, there's a BIG difference...
with a few boltons it makes 185whp... its faster than a hayabusa by a nice margin with the mods; and its faster than one stock anyways..... he also has a nitrous bottle with a 30 shot on it (which he didnt use in the race or the dyno run)... new GSXR-1000s are nice too

I understand you're equating to older bikes... but 600s run 130mph trapspeeds now... the liter bikes approach or hit 140 (the R1 and GSXR-1000 anyway)

so far s the T66 goes... thats a horrible turbo to run on a 1jz unless you're running a head/cams and intake mani setup too... I dont think anything over a ~60mm wheel needs to be run on a stock 1jz

and no i doubt the EVO head flows better than the 1jz head... very seriously doubt it actually... maybe the head on the AMS EVO, but not stock...
Old 06-18-05, 12:04 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Naw it wouldnt have touched this R1... its a 2004... 03-ish is the older model, there's a BIG difference...
with a few boltons it makes 185whp... its faster than a hayabusa by a nice margin with the mods; and its faster than one stock anyways..... he also has a nitrous bottle with a 30 shot on it (which he didnt use in the race or the dyno run)... new GSXR-1000s are nice too

I understand you're equating to older bikes... but 600s run 130mph trapspeeds now... the liter bikes approach or hit 140 (the R1 and GSXR-1000 anyway)

so far s the T66 goes... thats a horrible turbo to run on a 1jz unless you're running a head/cams and intake mani setup too... I dont think anything over a ~60mm wheel needs to be run on a stock 1jz

and no i doubt the EVO head flows better than the 1jz head... very seriously doubt it actually... maybe the head on the AMS EVO, but not stock...

Not turning this into a bike thread, but 120 mph cars can keep up with 600s pretty easily. It seems that cars with traps 10 mph lower than the bikes can keep up perfectly fine. I know what the new Liter bikes coming out are capable of, but a 135-140 mph car would at least keep up with the bikes. With my car trapping 132, it walked my friend's 03 R6 which "should" trap about 130 in the 1/4. This was about a buslength and growing from a 50 mph roll to about 140+. He's also a very experienced rider.

Another thing about the GT35R which in reality is just another 61mm turbo; on even the 3.0L 2jzgte, they don't make 550whp on 21 psi(and if they did a few times, it's not common). Another local has a 61 running 18 psi making a little over 460 on his 2jzgte, I don't see where another 100 whp could come from from a smaller motor with the same turbo. Only one way to prove it.... Do it, dyno it, Don't go off creep numbers, and let'r rip; just don't tune agressively just to make dyno numbers, blowing the motor isn't worth it..

Anyhow, yeah, get a turbo. Get it working, make some power with that little baby 2.5L. Good luck.

Last edited by CP_Ree; 06-18-05 at 08:02 AM.

Quick Reply: turbo selection?