Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranmission: What to do? rebuild/replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-05, 05:35 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tranmission: What to do? rebuild/replace?

On the way out of LA on saturday, my transmission apparently dropped...with 150k on the car, I'm not 100% suprised.

I've gotten estimates from 950-2100 to rebuilt the tranny, not sure what to do, or any socal rebuilders, there are tons listen on transmissiondirectory.com

Do I rebuild? replace?

What did people pay previously for a rebuilt tranny for the SC400?

Are solenoids suggested on being replace?

Please help...
Old 06-06-05, 05:44 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I friend of mine had an SC400 a while back. He was headed towards LA to go to a traffic court hearing. On his way back his transmission starts to give out leaving stranded right off of highway 5. He had the car shipped back home and once it had gotten home he had it taken to a shop where they had totally rebuilt the transmission. The cause for the tranny giving out was that the oil in it was really bad. Tranny flushes are a MUST if you plan on keeping your SC400 tranny in good shape. Well anyway, he had chosen to do a rebuilt because it is way better and cheaper than getting a new replacement. Since he was also going to be racing that SC400 he had also gone ahead and got his valves adjusted so that more oil flows through. After it was done and he had gotten it out of the shop we went to go test drive it and let me tell you, it ran like a beast. On a dead stop, if you fully smash the gas you would lose traction so easy. That tranny job was definetly worth it. However, it is quite costly. I think the total amount for everything was about 1000-1500. Or if you want to go cheaper you can replace it whith a used one.
Old 06-06-05, 05:47 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
I friend of mine had an SC400 a while back. He was headed towards LA to go to a traffic court hearing. On his way back his transmission starts to give out leaving stranded right off of highway 5. He had the car shipped back home and once it had gotten home he had it taken to a shop where they had totally rebuilt the transmission. The cause for the tranny giving out was that the oil in it was really bad. Tranny flushes are a MUST if you plan on keeping your SC400 tranny in good shape. Well anyway, he had chosen to do a rebuilt because it is way better and cheaper than getting a new replacement. Since he was also going to be racing that SC400 he had also gone ahead and got his valves adjusted so that more oil flows through. After it was done and he had gotten it out of the shop we went to go test drive it and let me tell you, it ran like a beast. On a dead stop, if you fully smash the gas you would lose traction so easy. That tranny job was definetly worth it. However, it is quite costly. I think the total amount for everything was about 1000-1500. Or if you want to go cheaper you can replace it whith a used one.
Can you get me the shop name/info/number?
Old 06-06-05, 05:50 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sourcemine
Can you get me the shop name/info/number?
I'll try and get in touch with my friend. I'll let you know whats up. I live in San Jose.