Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally got car fixed....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 10:53 AM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally got car fixed....

Well after a few months of not driving cuz I didn't have my license, I have it now and got my car fixed. My 95 sc300 5spd would not start, so we had it towed to lexus. They narrowed down the problem and they had to order a new computer ecu for it. Everything with install was $1600, a big dent in the wallet, but at least it's running. Now gotta pay that off and start saving for turbo kit, now that summer has started(I'm 18 years old). Go to the races section, and I am gonna talk bout some of my races I had last night with some friends.
Old 05-27-05, 11:22 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by laxdude362
so we had it towed to lexus. They narrowed down the problem and they had to order a new computer ecu for it. Everything with install was $1600, a big dent in the wallet, but at least it's running.
Ouch! "Lexus" or the dealer will NEVER touch my car. Never. If I wanted to get raped I'd commit a crime and go to jail...
Old 05-27-05, 11:33 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As cheap as you could have bought an ECU on here for, I dont know why you let them do it
Old 05-27-05, 10:45 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Well first off, I didn't know I had to replace the ecu, they went ahead and ordered it and then told us it was on it's way.

Well I spoke tooooo sooon. I was driving today and the car started to feel a little sluggish, so I down shifted and tried to accelerate but nothing happened. It's as if no fuel was getting to the car or maybe a bad fuel pump. So I pulled over and tried to start it again several times but it was doing the exact same thing as before it was trying to start but just wouldn't crank over. So I had it towed AGAIN to lexus, and left a message on their machine saying that we want it inspected and fixed and that we expect them to not charge us, considering we just spent 1600 bucks!!!!

Is their such thing as a lemon, cuz I am starting to get worried that I might have bought one
Old 05-28-05, 01:02 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not on a used car

dude you deserve whatever is coming to you for bending over and letting them do their work on your ***

you can buy an ECU for $100 used and replace it in literally 5 minutes while taking your time and not even getting dirty
Old 05-28-05, 06:21 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why are you guys being so hard on this guy? He was just doing what the vast majority of car owners do...Take a car in need of repair and diagnostics to the shop... Maybe this guy is not a very learned person on auto repairs...He's 18, glad he's got the parents or the resources to even fix the car. And, at least if Lexus blew it, now they have to make it right.

This is a place where he should be able to come to get advice, and start to learn how to take care of his car much more by himself. Lighten up and try being helpful rather than rude...Rudeness is not what this community is all about, it is supposed to be about helping people...

Ryan
Old 05-28-05, 06:30 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well first off, I didn't know I had to replace the ecu, they went ahead and ordered it and then told us it was on it's way.

Well I spoke tooooo sooon. I was driving today and the car started to feel a little sluggish, so I down shifted and tried to accelerate but nothing happened. It's as if no fuel was getting to the car or maybe a bad fuel pump. So I pulled over and tried to start it again several times but it was doing the exact same thing as before it was trying to start but just wouldn't crank over. So I had it towed AGAIN to lexus, and left a message on their machine saying that we want it inspected and fixed and that we expect them to not charge us, considering we just spent 1600 bucks!!!!

Is their such thing as a lemon, cuz I am starting to get worried that I might have bought one

Laxdude, remember, all used cars have a potential to drop a bombshell on you for repair, nature of the beast...Used cars have worn parts. Nuff said on that.

Keep in mind, you are not driving a Honda that was as much as 1/4 the price of this car when new...This car is a great car, and well made, and still one of the best looking cars on the road, IMHO... But, for you to get it even up to stock new like condition, it will cost you. The parts are expensive, even if you do all the labor yourself. Sometimes you can replace a bad part with a used part, sometimes an aftermarket (rarely except for performance), and sometimes there is a simple fix where you may find a thread on this forum to help you. So, use the SEARCH button often, and ask lots of questions. Many people on here will help you. Just remember, it's not cheap to drive even a used Lexus, but it sure is rewarding...

Ryan
Old 05-28-05, 09:27 AM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Hey SC400T, thanks for sticking up for me man. I appreciate it, but in the mean time I now have a RX330 as a loaner car

I will keep ya updated on my car.
Old 05-28-05, 10:35 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Hey SC400T, thanks for sticking up for me man. I appreciate it, but in the mean time I now have a RX330 as a loaner car

poor poor you
Old 05-31-05, 01:13 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Oen thing when you have had the car for 2 months trying to fix it, making sure its getting a sprk, replacing seals, replacing spark plugs, inspecting cap and rotor, its hard if not impossible to diagnose a bad ECU because mainly because who would ever thing that was the problem?

I don't think I've seen any posts about a bad ECU in car, only about switching to a 5spd or auto one.

And another thing you have to remember is a lot of times parents will tell you to just go ahead and get it done at the Lexus dealership to make sure its done right, I know after fooling with it for a month to two months my dad would have said the same thing. Part of that $1600 cost was going through every single thing that could have been wrong and checking it, not just walking in there and saying, I need a new ECU, put one in for me.

Hope ya get it fixed soon so we can go somewhere and see who's has the edge
I just replaced the fuel filter on mine and am getting a new system put in tomorrow too.

BTW for those of you that didn't know laxdude's old car was a 92 sc400, and his dad has a 90 ls400 withover 300k so I think he's aware of the fact that its a Lexus and that things cost more...
Old 05-31-05, 03:17 PM
Project300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus will take care of you, but I agree that this forum is better and cheaper for repairing your car. Many members are very willing to help you with any question, but remember a BEAN will usually give you gas.
Old 05-31-05, 03:36 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Yeah, there comes a point where ones personal knowledge of cars and where the depth of the problem crosses to where you don't know what to do. Unforutnately not many of us have the tools to even test to see if an ECU is bad and wouldn't know that was the problem unless you go out and repalce it and it fixes it.
Old 05-31-05, 06:31 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Tell those Lexus tech's to check your fuel pump ecu