Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is this a Deafening Almost Dead Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-05, 08:39 PM
trystanu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this a Deafening Almost Dead Differential?

Hey CLmasters,

I've had a recurring problem with a whine in my '94 SC400 that occurs at around 20MPH and then again at 40MPH (and sometimes keeps going). This also seems to be accompanied by a strange noise sounding like it's coming from my center console. This problem was diagnosed (at a Lexus dealership that used electric ears) as originating from my differential. I bought a used diff (off a CL user, thanks VSsc400) but the day it arrived my car completely stopped squealing ( ). So I haven't yet replaced it ... but:

Today (about a month later) I hit a large branch on the road (thanks to some damn mini driver) and it made a very unpleasant clunking noise as it went under my car . Straight after this the car started whining again ( ) and after having it parked at work all day I noticed what appeared to be an oil puddle from the rear drivers side of the car, near the back wheels. On the way back from work the car squealed kinda badly, and I noticed for the first time a small clunking noise when I put my foot on and off the gas at around 30MPH.

Is this likely to be my differentials swan-song? I wasn't totally convinced with the Lexus techs diagnosis (given that I've recently spent 2grand fixing what appears to be a Fuel Pump ECU problem they never managed to diagnose). If so, how much worse could it get? In the worst case will I get stranded, or my wheels fall off?

Any help would be much appreciated,

t.

ps: I did just install a new FP ECU, could this have screwed my fuel pump and caused a leak? Or am I (or is my car) on crack?
Old 05-12-05, 09:32 PM
RjRacing
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if there was a puddle of diff fluid and now your hearing a whining and clunking, stop driving the car b4 the rear end locks up going down the highway and you total the car and get you or someone else hurt. The diff only holds, what, 1.5-2 qts, so if you saw a puddle of it, its damn near dry. Check your diff level and the contion of the fluid(if its clean or dirty) , also, see if you see any leaking and there its coming from. And if you have a spare one laying around, take a few hours of your weekend and swap them out.