Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Calling all NA-T Sc300's!!!

Old 05-09-05, 10:47 AM
Todd1225
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all NA-T Sc300's!!!

Let me introduce myself, my name is Todd and I'm suffering from boost withdrawal! I've had several turbo powered cars in the past, Stealth, 280ZX, and even an MKIV TT, unfortunately I no longer own the Supra. I'm looking forward to getting back into a turbo car, but one by one I've ruled out several cars, either based on cost, severe reliability issues, or only two seats...gotta have some small back seats. About a week ago I ran across a post on Supraforums about someone with insane horsepower on their SC300, this got me thinking....

I first considered a GTE swap into an SC300, but after reading a ton of posts, I've decided that it's too expensive. As far as I can see, with an intercooler, dropping the compression, and a good fuel kit, the SC300 NA-t's are running 400+rwhp.

I have to be honest, i'm extremely psyched out about the possibilities of the 2jZ-GE platform under boost, it seems like a very cost efficient setup with lexus luxury and reliability. I know most of this stuff has been thrown around on the forum before, but this is honestly the only option I have left. If anyone can share their experiences with boosting the GE I would be very appreciative.

Not having a boosted car sucks, this is the last draw for me, there are just no other practical cars out there for me, i've looked and looked!
Old 05-09-05, 10:52 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A complete tuned NA-T setup can sometimes cost as much as swapping in a gte drivetrain. The Boost Logic & DaveH kits are the most popular.. the daveh kit can be put together alot cheaper though. I guess the power would depend on the turbo you pick & how much boost you plan to run.. either or - get it tuned right!
Old 05-09-05, 11:13 AM
Todd1225
Driver

A low mileage GTE was gonna cost $4000+, combine that with labor and other misc parts, and $8k to $10k was the going estimate that I could find. If I can turbo the SC with the DaveH kit for about half that or close and put down 450rwhp or more then I will be happy. With the going rate of 1992-1995 SC's being less than 8k in most cases, 12k to 13k total for everything sounds like a good deal to me.

I know these issues get beat to death, but here is what cars I've ruled out.

Stealth TT - numerous tranny issues, spun rod bearings, transfer case issues
EVO 8 - too expensive
Supra TT - no chance at getting financed
MKIII - blown head gaskets, spun rod bearings
300ZXTT - no back seat NA to TT swap is too expensive
RX-7 - no way
Old 05-09-05, 11:39 AM
MyScRuNmIa
Pole Position

have you considered the 1jz-gte set up? for the dollar you cant go wrong the only problem is geting parts.
Old 05-09-05, 02:01 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyScRuNmIa
the only problem is geting parts.
can you be a little bit more specific? i'm missing the part about it being hard to get parts for it when it has two "available-in-us" motors that it can receive parts from... not to mention the 1 billion engine importers there are today
Old 05-09-05, 05:33 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

thats funny i can find gtte set ups with ecu uncut wiring harness and transmission for 2200 plus shipping and no damaged censors ...... just gotta know the right places to look. i went NA-T and let me tell you it turns into a money pit faster than u will know what to do with ... honestly if your car is obd1 go with a gtte as for the work .. not that expensive and not hard.. do it yourself. i got quoted 1k to swap in the 2jzgtte. which brings cost of the motor and install to less than the price of a turbo kit...
Old 05-09-05, 06:13 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soarer479
do it yourself. i got quoted 1k to swap in the 2jzgtte.
I call bs... unless its from friends or family or something... Even a simple 1jz swap costs around 3k+. If your quote was from someone who charged $100 an hour that means they can pull a 2jz-gte swap in 10 hours? No way
Old 05-09-05, 06:18 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MyScRuNmIa
have you considered the 1jz-gte set up? for the dollar you cant go wrong the only problem is geting parts.
Why does everyone seem to think that there is a problem getting parts for the 1jz? Go on supraforums under MKIII- 1jz/2jz swap and see how many parts people list for sale everyday. Let alone the fact that like 90% of thats on the 1jz can be taken from the 2jz. I guess its the fact that the 1jz wasnt sold here so nobody thinks there are parts available for it. There are plenty of people building aftermarket parts for it now that soon enough it will be just as popular as the "2jz" is.
Old 05-09-05, 06:29 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by got_trd
that means they can pull a 2jz-gte swap in 10 hours? No way
I have a friend in South Carolina that did the full swap into a NA MKIV Supra in one days time.....
Old 05-09-05, 06:55 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

full 2jz swap would take them slightly over 10 hours (because they are slackers some times) their labor rate is 78 an hour ...... speed fab orange park florida they are damn good.

i dont know where ur going but ur getting ripped off its a very easy swap as long as u keep ur stock oil pan and are decently good and quick with wiring
Old 05-09-05, 07:36 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

not only would you need to be very good with wiring, but you would also need a good lift and an enless supply or air/ specialty tools. thats a really fast swap. we did matts 1j swap in a weekend with hand tools and lying on a driveway in the rain, so i guess it is possible with the right tools, but why would they charge so little if they could get a lot more and still be the cheapest?
Old 05-09-05, 07:51 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

i couldnt tell yah. the guys at speed fab are really good guys they wont rip you off and they do some of the best work ive ever seen. they love to make things go fast, and i believe they currently hold the record for the worlds fastest bar stool haha im not kidding .... and its turbo uve got to drive it to believe it. and i dont mean to take this thread off topic but take a look at some of their work

http://www.tgfab.com/Funny.htm

Last edited by soarer479; 05-09-05 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-10-05, 08:20 AM
Todd1225
Driver

Yeah, I just feel the GTE swap is still too expensive and I really don't want to do a 1jz. Even if I did the GTE swap, that would be with stock twins and a bone stock motor with 320hp...i would still have to do the BPU mods. With a turbo kit, I'm already "single turbo" like most Supras do anyway. Add more fuel and turn up the boost. The NA-T just seems much more cost efficient and less of a headache even if I have to pay a shop to do all the work.
Old 05-10-05, 10:21 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Todd1225
Add more fuel and turn up the boost.
It's not quite that easy... depending on your power level and the fuel system you may want to run standalone [$1500+]. I'm guessing your interested in an obd1 car?
Old 05-10-05, 10:36 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by soarer479
thats funny i can find gtte set ups with ecu uncut wiring harness and transmission for 2200 plus shipping and no damaged censors ......
Yeah, JDM motors with an automatic transmission... be a little bit more specific please

USDM 2jz's with a 6-speed tranny will run over $5k AT LEAST... more than likely $6k or more unless you're getting a hookup. These are market prices and you can't really argue about it with the "because I know where to look" BS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Calling all NA-T Sc300's!!!