Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz gte timing belt and cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-05, 11:54 AM
GRIFFIN TT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamer
The FCON S would be the best bet for your goals. It controls the fuel/air and the ign control.

I should add that I use the AEM C2DI to enhance the spark.
I know but the problem with that is the in-ability to tune it myself. And that is very important to me. Thats why I am scrapping my FCON Vpro.
Atleast with emanage I can tune it all I want
Old 05-06-05, 01:48 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

The FCON S would be the best bet for your goals. It controls the fuel/air and the ign control.

I should add that I use the AEM C2DI to enhance the spark.
I disagree. A PowerFC can be had for about the same price as a FconS and is much more tunable than the S.
Old 05-06-05, 01:53 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kaotiq
I was researching this yesterday actually. Piggy backs like the PFC, SAFC, AVCR can only push the stock limits so far. Here is our problem. Our stock injectors run at 340cc and it will be extremely difficult and/or impossible to get the piggy backs to double the injector pulse....say to 650cc. The piggy back systems might be able to push our injectors about 75% more than they should, but that is about it.
Ok, PFC is not a piggy back. AVCR is a boost controller. The only piggy back you listed was the AFC.

Now, 650's are EASILY tunable on a PFC. As a matter of fact, one of my good friends just tuned 1400cc injectors on his 600whp 240 using a PFC. I think you are confused about how piggy backs work. You can't make the stock injectors bigger with a piggy back. you can only replace the stock injectors with bigger ones then tune using a piggyback or some other Engine Management system.

Full Standalone's such as Haltech, Tec2,3, etc are a pain in the *** on daily driven cars. And imo are not worth the trouble, when you can get very similar results from a PFC or FCON.
Old 05-06-05, 01:57 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

One of the UK guys running his stock turbos at 18psi (fmic/440's/e-manage) had some slight det problems but I think they tuned it out.
He must be trying to blow his stock turbo's up.
Old 05-06-05, 02:29 PM
Gamer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
I disagree. A PowerFC can be had for about the same price as a FconS and is much more tunable than the S.
That would be because the Power FC is a "Full" stand alone ECU, the FCON S is a Piggy back !

Also the power FC will NOT work with the auto box.

BTW I ran my stock turbo's for 1 year at 1.2bar (17.5psi) with no problems. Mind you I had an FMIC/440's/custom dumps/large bore single/fcon/evc keeping it all nice.
Old 05-06-05, 03:09 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, PFC is not a piggy back. AVCR is a boost controller. The only piggy back you listed was the AFC.

Now, 650's are EASILY tunable on a PFC. As a matter of fact, one of my good friends just tuned 1400cc injectors on his 600whp 240 using a PFC. I think you are confused about how piggy backs work. You can't make the stock injectors bigger with a piggy back. you can only replace the stock injectors with bigger ones then tune using a piggyback or some other Engine Management system.

Full Standalone's such as Haltech, Tec2,3, etc are a pain in the *** on daily driven cars. And imo are not worth the trouble, when you can get very similar results from a PFC or FCON.
*sigh* No I'm not confused on how a piggyback works. I am quite aware since I had the VAFC and AVCR combo on my turbo honda years back. Yes you are right, the PFC is NOT a piggy back, my mistake. If you read my EDIT, I said
EDIT: this is assuming that you have aftermarket injectors on already. The piggy backs have their limits. Hence, why everyone decides to spend the money on the standalones.
Old 05-06-05, 05:18 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

That would be because the Power FC is a "Full" stand alone ECU, the FCON S is a Piggy back !
Well, if you can have a PFC for the same price.. why wouldn't you want that? Easy to tune and you are able to tune it with out an authorized dealer now that the FC logic is out.

BTW I ran my stock turbo's for 1 year at 1.2bar (17.5psi) with no problems. Mind you I had an FMIC/440's/custom dumps/large bore single/fcon/evc keeping it all nice.
1.2 bar is pretty risky on stock imo... not that i think it's a bad idea to run the **** outta the stock turbos.... especially if you plan to upgrade.
Old 05-06-05, 05:20 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

*sigh* No I'm not confused on how a piggyback works. I am quite aware since I had the VAFC and AVCR combo on my turbo honda years back. Yes you are right, the PFC is NOT a piggy back, my mistake. If you read my EDIT, I said
That's all fine but I was just saying you can run decent size injectors on a AFC. 550's are small injectors, and would easily be able to be tuned on a AFC, as well as 650's.
Old 05-06-05, 05:31 PM
Gamer
Pole Position

Well, if you can have a PFC for the same price.. why wouldn't you want that? Easy to tune and you are able to tune it with out an authorized dealer now that the FC logic is out.
I agree with you on that. The only reason why not is because of the Auto box. If I had a manual I would have gone for the AEM or FCON V Pro anyway and passed the PFC by.

If however I was trying to save a few bucks I would have no problem selecting the PFC as a solution.
Old 05-06-05, 06:49 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

I agree with you on that. The only reason why not is because of the Auto box. If I had a manual I would have gone for the AEM or FCON V Pro anyway and passed the PFC by.

If however I was trying to save a few bucks I would have no problem selecting the PFC as a solution.
I hear ya... no doubt VPro owns 24x24 is whats up :-)

But, after messing with a couple PFC's w/ FC logic.. I am really impressed with it.
Old 05-06-05, 07:44 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's all fine but I was just saying you can run decent size injectors on a AFC. 550's are small injectors, and would easily be able to be tuned on a AFC, as well as 650's.
agreed.
Old 05-07-05, 12:52 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was researching this yesterday actually. Piggy backs like the PFC, SAFC, AVCR can only push the stock limits so far. Here is our problem. Our stock injectors run at 340cc and it will be extremely difficult and/or impossible to get the piggy backs to double the injector pulse....say to 650cc. The piggy back systems might be able to push our injectors about 75% more than they should, but that is about it.

EDIT: this is assuming that you have aftermarket injectors on already. The piggy backs have their limits. Hence, why everyone decides to spend the money on the standalones.
actually its 370s iirc
and its very easy to get certain piggybacks to double the injector pulse...

you either need a wider range map sensor with appropriate injectors to match and a fuel controller to tune

or you can use a greddy emanage and it will do it just fine...

SupraTT 550s, JDM Supra MAP sensor and a S-AFC goes a LONG ways... 500whp actually with appropriate fuelpump
Old 05-07-05, 01:33 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

Actually if you are talking about the 1JZ-GTE Stock injectors they are 380cc
Old 05-07-05, 01:35 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

Here are some pics for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails 1jz gte timing belt and cams-injectors.jpg  
Old 05-07-05, 01:35 AM