Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

BFI Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-05, 11:03 PM
MIABLKSC4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFI Opinions

hello all. i'm about to building a BFI for my sc400. i've searched and it seems most of the ones done keep the stock intake. well here's my questions for everyone. i really want to change out the filter in the intake and i know blitz, HKS, and K&N make drop in filters for the sc4. i also know that i could go a lil more custom and fit on a cone filter in there, like a blitz, HKS, or K&N cone-style. will i get better results keeping the stock, drop-in style filter or would it be better to go with a cone-style? lemme know, thanks.
Old 05-04-05, 11:13 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MIABLKSC4
hello all. i'm about to building a BFI for my sc400. i've searched and it seems most of the ones done keep the stock intake. well here's my questions for everyone. i really want to change out the filter in the intake and i know blitz, HKS, and K&N make drop in filters for the sc4. i also know that i could go a lil more custom and fit on a cone filter in there, like a blitz, HKS, or K&N cone-style. will i get better results keeping the stock, drop-in style filter or would it be better to go with a cone-style? lemme know, thanks.
I had a BFI before, but personally, I think a CAI extention might be a better route.

Dont ask me why, I just think that it sucks in better than a BFI, because the route is just longer to take. Of course this isnt proven or anything, it just just in my opinon.

Plus the BFI looks too stock IMO

Cold Air Intake Adaptation
Old 05-04-05, 11:28 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

ahhh yes, the good ol custom cold air extension...it works!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161039
I might have left out some details but if you have any questions let me know. It is a great idea. All the credit goes to my friend David.
Old 05-04-05, 11:30 PM
MIABLKSC4
Driver School Candidate

yeh i read that, very nice install. true it does look stock, but i intend on making it look somewhat "unique". i have some sort of idea, i just need to figure out whether to go with a drop-in style or cone style filter. basically i want to know which does better in taking in air. also, i intended on making this i a regular BFI, short ram intake. if someone thinks JSpecSC3's cold air extension idea would be better for a sc4 then let me know too.
Old 05-04-05, 11:36 PM
MIABLKSC4
Driver School Candidate

also i live in miami, and JSpec, your intake is awesome, but for me and the sorta rain we get, that's just asking for hydrolock. that's why i think the short ram will work better for me.
Old 05-04-05, 11:40 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

OOoooohhhhhh ok i see i see...you just want a more better flow on a short ram..ok ok. This is what I would reccomend:
http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_suc...=166&pageNum=1
Apexi Power Intake. Top notch filter you can ever buy. Test prove that this is by far the best filter out there. They tested it on power, maintenance, and some other stuff but i forgot what site it was on.
Old 05-05-05, 08:36 AM
MIABLKSC4
Driver School Candidate

any other opinions on filters?
Old 05-05-05, 09:06 AM
JCSOTW
Rookie

how about using the Injen filter w/ CARB # w/ cold air extension coupled w/ an AEM Air Bypass Valve?
http://www.aempower.com/product_intake.asp
http://www.aempower.com/faq.asp?fid=22&sid=3&tid=
Does the Apexi Power Intake have a CARB #? If so, I'd try that right away!
Old 05-05-05, 10:21 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

You may want to read this. I also saw some Dyno's at his site that showed the Ron Millen and Wepon and Injun losing horsepower. Itt was Dyno's title how to replace the stock set up and lose HP.. Theses were all dyno'ed.http://www.planetsoarer.com/dynoday/dyno3.html
Old 05-05-05, 10:45 AM
MIABLKSC4
Driver School Candidate

yeh i read that but if you also read some of the dynos done by the guys who made BFI's, they saw increases in ponies. so i'm not just simply replacing the filter, i'm going to make a BFI, and i intend on making a chambered box for the intake. so basically, with a chambered box for the intake, what sort of filter to use, again, stock drop-in style or cone filter?
Old 05-05-05, 03:37 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

honestly, bypass valves dont do much at all.

Of course they do alot if the whole intake is submerged in water, but when it comes to squrts or water droplets that enter the intake - boom. your car tries to compress it and you hydro lock.

I think if you can develop some type of CAI with a sheild to protect it from water coming to the intake, that would be the best method of any intake.

BTW the tests done at planet soarer we not CAI's are were short rams sucking in hot hot air. There has never been a CAI dyno before, as it is very rare.
Old 05-05-05, 04:20 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yes there were some test done on a GS 430 on the dyno the same day at another web site. Think it was SE Lexus Owners. They tested I think 4 different aftermarket Intakes. None of them came close to thye claimed HP they advertised. They were anywhere from 25% - 45% less than what their clamis were.
Old 05-05-05, 04:22 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MIABLKSC4
yeh i read that but if you also read some of the dynos done by the guys who made BFI's, they saw increases in ponies. so i'm not just simply replacing the filter, i'm going to make a BFI, and i intend on making a chambered box for the intake. so basically, with a chambered box for the intake, what sort of filter to use, again, stock drop-in style or cone filter?
That info was not just abt replacing the filtesr. At that site was info about the BFI and Filter changes. The Lexus/Toy filter flowed the best.
Old 05-05-05, 04:47 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of those tests included any tuning to compensate for a change in airflow.
The ecu is in open loop at full throttle, so that mixture is determined largely by fuel pressure, and injector openings based upon the previous running of that engine. The ecu takes a couple of full driving cycles to adjust itself, and after that you are at the mercy of whatever fuel pressure/injector openings to provide a given mixture.
The oem SC panel filter is about half the size it needs to be in order to provide adequate flow in the higher rpms. I discovered this after I was trying to dial in my mixture and noticed that even when leaned out, it tended to richen back up again at 4,000rpm and higher. New large filter was soon installed, car was then dialed in, mixture curve was recovered again. Car screams, passes smog, gets decent mileage.
Fotunately, there is enough room in front of the airflow meter to do this, and cutting the front half of the airbox off altogether leaves the air-horn to help eliminate turbulence going into the airflow meter.The fliter can then be added to a plate that is attached to the rear half of the factory airbox.
I call it the "BK&N"....
Old 05-14-05, 06:10 PM
300dreams
Driver School Candidate

Default intake dynos?

um i thought that the hp gains of an intake couldnt be measured on a dyno because one of the principles of the cai is that it takes in cool atmospheric air from outside the engine bay and feeds it to the engine thanks to the cars forward motion, so essentially that cant be measured on a dyno. my .02

Quick Reply: BFI Opinions