Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question about Dave H kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 07:12 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about Dave H kit

I really want to go the turbo route on my 95 300 5spd, but I need to find a cheap reliable way to do it. So I was looking at the Dave H kit on naperformance.com . It comes with turbo, turbo manifold, wastegate,wastegate dumpipe, 3 inch downpipe, 3 inch K&n filter, 3 inch midpipe, all of this for $2200. My question is what are all the other things that I will need that are completely neccessary in order to get the turbo kit installed and have it running safe and reliable?
Old 05-02-05, 08:19 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel System [If you seek over 300hp] - DaveH offers 525cc injectors that are direct drop in for the GE fuel rail and will support up to 500rwhp. Since your obd1 [Which is good] you will need to change your MAF to a Lexus V8MAF and use SAFC2 and/or VPC combo to control the fuel. Also you will need a thicker headgasket if you plan to run say over 7-8lbs/boost - they typically run $250. Oil lines to cool the turbo [send & return], & the intercooler is a must.. cost is up to you & which route you take. You can use a stock TT sidemount.. or buy Boost Logic's $1k FMIC kit [Which is super nice!]. Guages [Boost, EGT, A/F] would help, but aren't necessary.. and of course finish the exhaust system.

Chris
Old 05-02-05, 09:11 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
Fuel System [If you seek over 300hp] - DaveH offers 525cc injectors that are direct drop in for the GE fuel rail and will support up to 500rwhp. Since your obd1 [Which is good] you will need to change your MAF to a Lexus V8MAF and use SAFC2 and/or VPC combo to control the fuel. Also you will need a thicker headgasket if you plan to run say over 7-8lbs/boost - they typically run $250. Oil lines to cool the turbo [send & return], & the intercooler is a must.. cost is up to you & which route you take. You can use a stock TT sidemount.. or buy Boost Logic's $1k FMIC kit [Which is super nice!]. Guages [Boost, EGT, A/F] would help, but aren't necessary.. and of course finish the exhaust system.

Chris

E-mail Marshal @ Street Dynamics. He makes a good kit and is very reasonably priced.. Website: http://www.streetdynamics.com/b/frprod.htm

Also, A/F gauges are inaccurate watstes of money unless it's a wideband.
Old 05-02-05, 11:01 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz

Chris
stock injectors will support ~375whp with upgraded fuel pump on stock compression... seen it done several times running **** rich (saw over 400whp once at 10:1 a/f)

stock compression can handle 12psi just fine if ignition is retarded a couple degrees... gasket is recommended tho... personally I'd get one that drops you to 9:1 or so... for a heavier car its nicer to have a slight more pickup (and you can still tune for high boost too)

use send of -3 and return of -10

Boost gauge is utterly vital and a wideband is highly recommend; especially if upgrading injectors

high impedance RX-7 T2 550cc injectors are direct drop-in; might need to mod the plugs slightly... couple that and a S-AFC2 and LS400 AFM and you're golden
Old 05-03-05, 12:23 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
E-mail Marshal @ Street Dynamics. He makes a good kit and is very reasonably priced.. Website: http://www.streetdynamics.com/b/frprod.htm

Also, A/F gauges are inaccurate watstes of money unless it's a wideband.

Does anyone have experience with these guys? I want to know if the manifolds and turbo are reliable
Old 05-03-05, 06:51 AM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Hey Bean- What thickness would get to 9:1? I've read that the stock gasket is .054 and the TT gasket is 1.6 so I was guessing that was it but not sure on the math. Also when you say retarded a couple of degrees are you referring to turning back the distributor or an aftermarket retard box?
Old 05-03-05, 08:24 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
Does anyone have experience with these guys? I want to know if the manifolds and turbo are reliable
I do. He lives near me. I've seen his SC and ridden in it. It makes about 350 @ the wheels and he hasn't had any problems with it. E-mail him or send me a pm and I'll give you his number.

We raced @ a local 1/8th mile track when I had my Soarer (with 1jz) and we ran the EXACT same time. It was really weird and funny at the same time. Anyway yea...
Old 05-03-05, 08:44 AM
GRIFFIN TT
Driver

Yo JZZ does he make 1J mani's? or can he make it?
How much does he charge?
Old 05-03-05, 10:14 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
I do, great guys... I ran their manifold on my second turbo kit with a 60-1... its a log-type manifold and offers good spool.
Though, if you're looking for big power, kinda obvious to go with an equal-length header.
Old 05-03-05, 10:17 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kaiser
Hey Bean- What thickness would get to 9:1? I've read that the stock gasket is .054 and the TT gasket is 1.6 so I was guessing that was it but not sure on the math. Also when you say retarded a couple of degrees are you referring to turning back the distributor or an aftermarket retard box?
I think the TT gasket gives like 8.9:1 which would be close enough... the 2mm aftermarket gaskets give around 8.5:1 or so

you can retard your ignition either way; just ensure the aftermarket box is setup correctly for your car (Distributor type)...
I had a MSD boost retard controller... it would retard ignition based upon how much boost you ran and was easy to dial-in however you wanted it...
but i didnt hook it up and i sold it... it requires an MSD box that is compatible with your ignition
in the OLD OLD threads SC300T posts about it when I was asking questions

Its called a MSD BTC (for boost timing controller)
Old 05-03-05, 03:17 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Mainly depends on what your horsepower goals are. The Dave H kit is a basic setup for low to moderate boost. If you get the kit installed you will be running just fine but you wont be able to boost high. If you are planning on going moderate to high boost then you will need to upgrade your clutch, fuel system and all that good stuff. But one thing is for sure if you just plan to install the basic kit, it is best if you have your car dyno tuned so it wont be all weird on you.
Old 05-03-05, 03:42 PM
riot8088
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bean
I think the TT gasket gives like 8.9:1 which would be close enough... the 2mm aftermarket gaskets give around 8.5:1 or so
If that's true, then that seems like a cheap way to go. The pistons must not be that much different between NA and TT if the Head gasket is doing some of the job to lower the compression.

Last edited by riot8088; 05-03-05 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-03-05, 09:28 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riot8088
If that's true, then that seems like a cheap way to go. The pistons must not be that much different between NA and TT if the Head gasket is doing some of the job to lower the compression.
its a combination of the pistons and the heagasket... iirc, the combustion chamber volume on the NA vs TT head is almost identical
Old 05-04-05, 10:10 AM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow great input! Thanks everyone!
Lets say I want to start out low and only run about 8-12 psi of boost, will that require a FMIC or any IC for that matter? When is an intercooler neccessary to run higher boost?
Old 05-04-05, 12:28 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, when running those boost levels on stock compression you want a FMIC... its definitely worth it... i personally wouldnt run over 6psi without a FMIC... the compression ratio is just too high to get away with it like other non-intercooled cars (like Z31 turbo and early non-intercooled Grand Nationals)

Quick Reply: Question about Dave H kit