Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need cheap clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-05, 08:46 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need cheap clutch

Hey looks like my cluch is getting down to its end. I've searched lots of old threads but I haven't found my exact situation yet. So I'm on a budget because im 18 and working two jobs to pay for insurace and mods . need a cluch that will handle a little fun but Im still na and will be for a while. And i don't want anything that will give me problems. Any recomendations I know most of you use ACT but what about exedy and clutch master and spec? jsut help me on the cheapest and best bang for the buck.
Any flywheel recomendations would be great to.
Old 05-01-05, 04:29 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL-SC
Hey looks like my cluch is getting down to its end. I've searched lots of old threads but I haven't found my exact situation yet. So I'm on a budget because im 18 and working two jobs to pay for insurace and mods . need a cluch that will handle a little fun but Im still na and will be for a while. And i don't want anything that will give me problems. Any recomendations I know most of you use ACT but what about exedy and clutch master and spec? jsut help me on the cheapest and best bang for the buck.
Any flywheel recomendations would be great to.
Hey man, I feel your pain. Im 17 and spent every last dollar on my car, so when I was doing my clutch back in December I opted for the Exedy OEM Style clutch off eBay for ~$115 shipped. As for the flywheel, theres nothing wrong with your stock one, just bring it in to get resurfaced. However, one thing you should definitely not try to save money on are new flywheel bolts. These 8 bolts are "torque-to-yield" and are designed to be used only once, so buy new ones for when doing your clutch. They are very expensive and will run you about $70-80 from your Toyota dealership.
Old 05-01-05, 06:19 AM
krukdstyle
Banned for stealing

I would say go with the exedy. Don't go for the oem style clutch that makes no sense. Buy a little better clutch from exedy. Like a single stage, 3 puck, sprung... It gives you a little stiffer feel on the clutch pedal, won't harm the flywheel, although if you are changing your clutch you should get your flywheel resurfaced at a machine shop. It's also very streetable, and can get the power to the ground pretty good. I'd say your looking in the price range of $375-$550. If you get a ACT, or centerforce its gonna run you the same amount if not a little more. The best part about Exedy is that it's JDM BABY....!!! And thats what we all could use more of
Hope this info helps a little...
Old 05-01-05, 09:14 AM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

Thanks guys
I have seen the stock greedy on ebay but also Horsepower freaks has a Spec stage 2 cluch (kevlar) for 340 wichis about the same as the act and clutch masters stage 1 clutches.What do you think"
and how much is it to resurface the flywheel?
And it's nice to hear there is someone else out there like me . None of dad's $$.
Old 05-01-05, 11:47 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by krukdstyle
I would say go with the exedy. Don't go for the oem style clutch that makes no sense. Buy a little better clutch from exedy. Like a single stage, 3 puck, sprung... It gives you a little stiffer feel on the clutch pedal, won't harm the flywheel, although if you are changing your clutch you should get your flywheel resurfaced at a machine shop. It's also very streetable, and can get the power to the ground pretty good. I'd say your looking in the price range of $375-$550. If you get a ACT, or centerforce its gonna run you the same amount if not a little more. The best part about Exedy is that it's JDM BABY....!!! And thats what we all could use more of
Hope this info helps a little...

What are you talking about? It sounds like a stock one will be perfectly fine for his application. You probably won't need a puck disc and a 3 puck isn't the normal way to go anyhow. ACT has a heavy duty clutch, RPS has a few chioces, but like you (ATL-SC) stated, you're looking for bang for the buck and to that, I say a stock replacement will be more than enough for your current needs because it doesn't sound like you're going turbo anytime soon.
Old 05-01-05, 12:39 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

yea your right i kept looking and i think i will go stock just thought i might find a good pirce on someting that could put up with a bit more abuse(chirp 2nd). right now i cant even do that it just spinns. So thanks for the info guys