Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to Flush the Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-05, 07:18 AM
wingzero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Flush the Transmission

Does anyone have a write up on how to flush the auto tranny in an SC300?
There is one on how to do it on an IS300 :

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=238093

Is the procedure the same?
Old 04-29-05, 07:56 PM
RjRacing
Driver

That is the exact same procedure. But that is not flushing the fluid, that is a drain and fill. While you got the pan off you mine as well replace the trans. filter as well.
Old 05-16-05, 03:00 PM
Seismic
Rookie

Default Difference between flush and change

Pardon my ignorance, but this is the first auto trans I've owned...

What is the difference between the "more complete method of a Basic fluid change" from the link above, and an actual flush?
Old 05-16-05, 03:20 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There are plenty of threads discussing the differences between the two methods if you are willing to search.
Old 05-16-05, 04:02 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Yeah that's pretty much the proper way of flushing an automatic tranmission. I just so happen to manage a Jiffy Lube and I have had customers swarming in to have the trans serviced. The Automatic transmission is by far one of the most neglected parts of most peoples cars and truck (next to the oil itself). I don't know what it is but it's just that I'm a maintenence freak. And if I ever hear of anyone on the board using that Mobil 1 5,10, or 15K mile oil, I will drive to there house and personally smack them.
Old 05-16-05, 04:04 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seismic
Pardon my ignorance, but this is the first auto trans I've owned...

What is the difference between the "more complete method of a Basic fluid change" from the link above, and an actual flush?
From what I've read, on a typical "drain and fill" you're only able to remove about 30-40% of the old tranny fluid, leaving the rest in the tranny. Once you and new fluid, the old fluid contaminates the new fluid you just added, which basically kills everything you're trying to accomplish. You need to "flush" out all of the old tranny fluid and replace it with fresh stuff for optimal effiency
Old 05-16-05, 07:38 PM
RjRacing
Driver

The difference is that a flush actually gets rid of over 85% of the old dirty fluid compared to the 40-60% that a drain and fill will, I think those are the numbers I learned at school, its been a while. At my shop we have a machine that flushes the fluid along with chemicals to clean the tranny before fluching and condition it afterwards. Visit your local shop and tell them you want a flush, it will cost anywhere from $60-150 depending on your local labor rate and where you take it (coupons help a lot)
Old 05-16-05, 09:14 PM
Seismic
Rookie

I did search, PerryInLA. That is what led me to ask the question. The info in the link said to take the trans cooler line off and put the trans in neutral to pump out the old fluid whilst adding new fluid. This seems to me that you'd be able to get most of the old fluid out this way. The instructions say to watch the fluid color until it looks light pink or red again. The article says this method changes out all the fluid.

I guess my question should have asked, is this the same as a flush at the dealer? If not, what is the main difference/advantage to taking your car in to have this done? Does the machine at the shop use higher pressure to clean more thoroughly?

Thankyou SinisterSC and RjRacing for the input. I have heard of a trans cleaner liquid (from my searches on CL - I guess somone's neighbor put motor oil in their trans). I'm guessing the consensus would be that taking the car in and having this done is still superior to this DIY method, no?
Old 05-16-05, 09:29 PM
RjRacing
Driver

It is similar, but like I said we have a company called Everwear that provides us with the necessary machines and chemicals to do the job right. Our machines usually operate between 5-35psi during a flush depending on the car and how dirty/old the fluid is. You can do it yourself using that method but it is hard to gauge how much is coming out or going into the tranny, that is the only problem but the machines take care of that for you and keep an even flow throughout. But if you are going to do it your self, usually we use 2-3 times the amount of trans. fluid that the tranny holds to complete a full flush to make sure the tranny has clean fluid.
Old 05-17-05, 01:04 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

interesting..I think I will go get a tranny flush