Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Exhaust Decision

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-05, 01:44 PM
MIABLKSC4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SC400 Exhaust Decision

hello all, i'm new to the board, located in miami. i just recently got a 92 sc400 and ready to start dumping money into it. i've been researching quite a bit, and yes i've used the search feature like it's my job. i'm ready to slap on a new exhaust, but i wanted to get the opinions from you guys on what i should do. i know that i should do 2.25" piping, remove the resonators, do an X-pipe and get some universal mufflers. my question is, on an sc400, what sort of mufflers to use? i don't want a loud and annoying mustang, muscle car rumble. i've watched the video of all the different exhaust and i like the RMM and JIC. i found a JIC muffler that i think would look nice and give a good sound. this is thte JIC muffler:

www.hopupracing.com/jicmadetyovc.html

if there are some other mufflers you guys think would look better and sound better feel free to voice your opinions. if i'm at all wrong about the exhaust piping setup, please correct me as well. i just want to get it right the first time when i go to get it done. thanks for all your help
Old 04-24-05, 02:03 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally and I think alot of other members would agree with me that magnaflow mufflers sound great. Specifically the magnaflow ss series 14829's. They sound nice and deep with the v8 engine. I redid my exhaust on my old sc400 the way you described it except without the xpipe. I loved the way it sounded. It took a couple of months to attain its natural tone.
Old 04-24-05, 02:42 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove one the other day with full headers and a Borla cat-back - sounded like SEX.
Old 04-24-05, 03:26 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get enough resonator-type muffler(s) on there to get 30" of muffled length per pipe, then you should be alright in the noise dept.
A crossover, or X will help quiet things a bit too.
You weren't kidding about the $ part, those are some nice looking mufflers though.
Old 04-24-05, 05:36 PM
MIABLKSC4
Driver School Candidate

yeh, i really like the JIC mufflers with the burnt tip. my sc4 is black, so i think it'll look really nice on. i've read a thing or two about magnaflows on here. i've read a few times though also that they get fairly loud as well. i'm lookin for a nice deep deep rumble, but have the muffler portion look unique. i'm tryin to go a lil original.
Old 04-24-05, 08:28 PM
MIABLKSC4
Driver School Candidate

does anyone else have any opinions? i just want to make sure i'm gonna do it right and it looks good. how do you think an HKS Carbon-Ti muffler would look on my black sc4?

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hopup1/hksuncamu17s.html

Last edited by MIABLKSC4; 04-24-05 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-22-05, 04:50 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Check out the Greddy MX(sounds high pitch like a ferrari kinda), Rod Millen Motorsport(same deal), or for a burly and clean and VERY deep tone look at JIC Bullet spartan.
Old 06-22-05, 06:57 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,255 Likes on 997 Posts

Dynomax has some pertty good mufflers too. Back in the day their Super Tubo mufflers blew eveyone away and sold like hotcakes. They have a even better line now. They also have a special rebate going on that something like if you buy 2 Dynomax mufflers for $ 100 buck each you get back something like $ 75 each. They work, are not too loud and you can't beat the rebate thing. I'm not for loud either want performance not just sound.
Welcome !
Old 06-26-05, 02:39 PM
Aikido
Driver School Candidate

Default New exhaust

Hello everyone,

Kinda still a new member just made a acouple of mod's myself to on my 1993 Lexus Sc 400.

1. High flow filter in the stock box, Brand call Green suppose to be better than the K@n line, taking of storkenl in front shortly.
2. Had a custom exhaust put on using 2 1/4 stainless pipe from front to back , with H pipe in front middle instead of X pipe , resonators are gone running into a pair of unversal fit Stainless steel Flowmasters 40'2 series muffler. Loud a sound good at freeway speeds, but a nice quiet rumble at idle.

3. Question now with these two mod's what type of horsepower gain should I expect, and will I loose low-end torque but gain the middle to highend power range??

4. Does the factory ECU rejust itself naturally after driving the car up to a week or do I need to take of the battery post for say 5 to 30 minutes then back on for it reset itself?

5. I called a local shop here in Columbus, Ohio and the tec told me with these mod's i take off the battery terminal for 5 to 10 minutes to reset the the ecu then go out and drive the **** out of the car for 15 to 20 minutes so the factory ecu can readjust itself threw all the power band while driving like this?????

I appreciate any infor help on this subject thank's
Old 06-26-05, 08:24 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aikido

3. Question now with these two mod's what type of horsepower gain should I expect, and will I loose low-end torque but gain the middle to highend power range??

4. Does the factory ECU rejust itself naturally after driving the car up to a week or do I need to take of the battery post for say 5 to 30 minutes then back on for it reset itself?

5. I called a local shop here in Columbus, Ohio and the tec told me with these mod's i take off the battery terminal for 5 to 10 minutes to reset the the ecu then go out and drive the **** out of the car for 15 to 20 minutes so the factory ecu can readjust itself threw all the power band while driving like this?????

I appreciate any infor help on this subject thank's
You're new so don't take this the wrong way, but this is called a "thread hyjack:" whereby a question is made that draws away from the original post. You'll get much more info if you search first and then start your own thread. This will not only benefit you, but also benefit others when they are searching through previous posts as the info in the thread will pertain to the original subject. Again, no offense - and in case it wasn't said before, welcome to the forums.
Old 06-26-05, 09:19 PM
Aikido
Driver School Candidate

Default Exhaust

My opinion try out the Steel steel Flowmaster 40's series , a nice mild rumble at idol but the more u get on the pedal the better sounder and rumble.

Just my thought.
Old 06-29-05, 01:23 AM
Dramon
Driver

Can't go wrong with Borlas on almost any car IMO.

If thats still too loud grab some moroso spiralflows and use them as resonators.

Pretty cheap, like 50 bucks a pop on summit.