Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

fan shroud

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-05, 07:18 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan shroud

how important is the fan shroud? i have a 93 SC3 and i noticed one of the brackets is broken. so, instead of having it possibly hit the fan, i took the shroud off totally. do you guys think i will notice any cooling problems since the air isn't being directly shot at the radiator? i will be getting the electric fans soemtime this summer, but for now i hope this works.
Old 04-23-05, 10:07 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

one of my tabs broke and i left it on for over a year with no problems, but about 2 months ago it slid and half my fan is broken, good thing you took your whole shroud out.
Old 04-23-05, 11:08 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

geeze. thats what i was afraid of. it seemed like it kinda, sat in a certain place....but i went to whipe it off, and it just fell, lol. i could balance it back in the same spot, but yeah, i was afraid of it sliding. did you replace the shroud then? if so, how much did it cost? if its too ridiculous, i'll leave it off and just get the electric fans.
Old 04-24-05, 04:59 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

i didnt replace it because i haven't been able to find anybody selling one in the classifieds.
Old 04-24-05, 09:51 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Afer my accident last year, I think I remember getting my fan shroud and fan from carson toyota, the price wasn't bad at all. I definetly remember lexus overcharging for it. My shroud completely was broken and when the shroud hit my fan it broke off one of the blades, which caused some major vibrations on the car. Hope that helps a bit....
Old 05-08-05, 05:28 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

update

radiator hose exploded. coolant everywhere.

car was parked with AC on. and i guess since i wasn't driving, and the shroud was off, the thing just overheated cuz of lack of air and blew up. so, electric fans are on their way, lol.
Old 05-10-05, 02:50 PM
Vaelsed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TWISTED II
update

radiator hose exploded. coolant everywhere.

car was parked with AC on. and i guess since i wasn't driving, and the shroud was off, the thing just overheated cuz of lack of air and blew up. so, electric fans are on their way, lol.
Ack... Both tabs broken on mine With a southern summer approaching, I am quite worried... I am most definately going to look into those electric fans!
Old 05-10-05, 04:07 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

yeah. i guess its not bad while driving cuz air is blowing on the radiator. but don't idle too long, lol. but then again, who knows in 100 degree weather if even blowing air will be enough. stupid tabs, lol.
Old 05-12-05, 04:00 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Leave the shrouds on, they are very important for engine cooling. Those tabs are very easy to repair with strips of tin cut to shape to reinforce/replace the the broken tabs. Just use a very strong expoxy glue(Home Depot) to secure in place.
Old 05-12-05, 07:15 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

eh, i'd rather do the electric fans anyways.
Old 05-12-05, 09:52 PM
sniper
Lead Lap

Just swap it to electric, its worth it. But if you dont want to, then be sure to keep the shroud. To make a long story short, it wont cool properly without it.
Old 05-13-05, 03:01 AM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sniper
Just swap it to electric, its worth it. But if you dont want to, then be sure to keep the shroud. To make a long story short, it wont cool properly without it.
right. if i wasn't getting the electric fans, i would def put the shroud back on.
Old 08-06-05, 05:39 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sniper
I'm far from an expert . But I opted to leave mine off a few months back because i had read a post stating it was ok to leave it off.
I could tell it was running slightly hotter , and the fan would spin faster ,due to not having the shroud. It was a very subtle difference, and an average person that doesnt really pay attention to their cars function, as long as its running. But i am very much in tune to this car, and any changes in the way it acts.
I had planned to get a new one at the time i removed mine, but kind of let it go. But was advised that whomever gave me the advice that it was ok to remove it, gave some bad advice.
so i was able to hunt down a used one, of course it too is cracked, but i G-rigged it to work til i could get a new one. And after a week i can see that the car runs cooler, the launch is significantly quicker and smoother, and the fan isnt working as hard..
And i think having it off is the reason for another thing, wich is my climate control doesnt like to stay on outside airflow mode. i have to manually change it most of the time. But since putting the shroud back , it seems like its relearning to stay.
So long story short. Keep the shroud in there, it has a purpose.