Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

vacuum hose size?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-01, 03:59 PM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone know what size the vacuum hoses are in the engine bay of my '92 SC300? Are they all one size?
I found a couple of hoses that were dried and cracking so I am considering replacing as much as I can with aftermarket silicone hoses. Will I be able to get at all of them without major surgery? Also, will a 10-foot supply be enough?
Anyone done this already or looked into it before? Any advice/suggestions?
thanx in advance!
Old 06-14-01, 04:44 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are quite a few different sizes, and of course there are many that you can replace at your own option.

We do have a "starter" kit with various sizes and 10-20ft lengths of each size so you can upgrade whichever ones you like. There is another kit with more hose, but again it will depend on how much you want to actually upgrade.

The basic kit is around $40 and the larger kit is around $60, so there isn't a considerable price difference. Most people just buy the larger kit and keep the extra hose for whatever they might upgrade later.

12 colors are available, including black and silver.

Old 06-15-01, 08:10 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Thumbs up thanx Todd

Your web page was actually one of the first ones I checked out. Unfortunately, I didn't see a kit for the '92 SC300. I just want to make sure I don't end up buying a bunch of different sizes I won't be needing. Could you recommend what sizes and length I would need? If you can set me up with the proper sizing and amount, I'll place my order w/ you today.

regards,
Thom
Old 06-15-01, 03:09 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess the biggest problem with any "kit" of these hoses is that some people might not want to change this or that, and end up either having too much or not enough of any given hose size.

Some people only want to replace their small vacuum lines, some people want to cover up their brake lines and a/c lines, etc. etc. etc.

No matter what though, you will end up with leftovers, unless you actually take the car in and have it done for you and get charged by the foot. This still usually ends up being a "starter kit" plus whatever optional hoses you wanted, which doesn't end up any better or worse than you started with, as there will be some leftover of certain sizes.

Check out this picture below of an SC400 that was done, not sure if you want this much or less or more, but at least I can get some idea of what you are looking for. The SC300 should be fairly similar on the layout and amount of hose.

Attached Thumbnails vacuum hose size?-skengine.jpg  
Old 06-17-01, 08:39 PM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Thumbs up Doublewoosh,

that looks great! That is very much what I had in mind. Which kit is that? You're right, there is no avoiding leftovers.
How does the Hose technique brand compare to something like say APC? How different can silicone hose be?
I figured this would be a double benefit in that the stock hoses seem to be dried out and some of the vacuum ones are even cracked near the ends. I ended up cutting them shorter and reattaching for now. I'd like to replace them and also get the benefit of dressing up the engine bay.
Also, do you have the MAF adaptor plates and intake filters available?
Old 08-12-14, 05:44 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Question

13 years later, didn't want to make a new thread. Is there anywhere that actually shows the diameters of the hoses/vacuum lines in the 1uz? Because I keep searching different things and coming up empty. Most of my lines are cracked and a couple are broken and sealed off. I just plan on replacing them with silicone similar to the set up in post 4 by double swoosh. I guess he uploaded that image himself because it's not posted anywhere else but this thread. Maybe it's just me, but he never posted a link to his site and then the post just died when the op was asking questions. The best place to get them is horsepowerfreaks and their TurboSmart Silicone Vacuum Lines. Even then, it would be roughly $70 if you needed 3, 4, 5, and 6 mm tubes. Because they all come in strips on 10 feet. Most of them appear to be 2 different sizes but I haven't measured them yet. Any help is appreciated. Purchased a timing belt and water pump kit and seals from AutoZone earlier so that'll be taking place next week I guess. Might as well do it all at once. Thanks.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...Silicone/15140

(Just a link to the lines, not trying to break the outside links rule...)

Last edited by BeaksSC; 08-12-14 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Sorry about the location, would have just made a new one if I knew that one was wrong.
Old 08-12-14, 06:46 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

For the small vacuum lines, you'll want about 12' of 5/32" hose, although 1/8" caps fit better on some of my barbs. The 5/32" was a bit loose and required wrapping some tape on a few of them before slipping the hose over, but I've since removed all of those with the EGR system deleted. You can buy that size for a little over a buck a foot at any auto parts store.

Can't help you with the bigger hoses, sorry.

Edit: Maybe it was 13'. I initially went by the 6-7' figure I saw in one of the threads here and that was nowhere near enough, so I got that much again. Get an extra foot to be safe.

Last edited by t2d2; 08-12-14 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-12-14, 07:21 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by t2d2
For the small vacuum lines, you'll want about 12' of 5/32" hose, although 1/8" caps fit better on some of my barbs. The 5/32" was a bit loose and required wrapping some tape on a few of them before slipping the hose over, but I've since removed all of those with the EGR system deleted. You can buy that size for a little over a buck a foot at any auto parts store.

Can't help you with the bigger hoses, sorry.

Edit: Maybe it was 13'. I initially went by the 6-7' figure I saw in one of the threads here and that was nowhere near enough, so I got that much again. Get an extra foot to be safe.
Thanks! I'll have to look at some of the local shops. I'll keep looking to see if I can find out about the rest of them. Do you have any pics by chance?
Old 08-12-14, 09:03 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Pictures of what? All I did was cut hose to length and do direct replacements of the existing hoses, so there's not much to see.
Old 08-12-14, 10:17 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by t2d2
Pictures of what? All I did was cut hose to length and do direct replacements of the existing hoses, so there's not much to see.
I don't know lol, I just thought maybe you did something like what doublewhoosh posted. I think I'm going to measure some of the other size hoses tomorrow since I can't find anything else. I'll post what I find, if I get around to it that is.