Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My auto tranny seems to be dying...couple of Qs..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 04:14 PM
Grimm333
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My auto tranny seems to be dying...couple of Qs..

When i am in reverse...i can hear a grinding noise as i am reversing..not the prettiest of sounds. When stopped, after i begin to accelerate...the car jerks a bit...and then begins to accelerate...(doesnt happen every time...but its becoming more and more frequent)...

the strange this is that my CEL comes on....along with my TRAC OFF light...(they light up simultaneously)...and then disappear after a bit...i can't create a reoccurence of the problem...it seems to happen more randomnly...

Also the "TRAC" light near the speedo constantly remains light...so i believe there is some sort of malfunction in my traction control unit as well..

I checked the trans fluid and it seems to be really dirty and overfilled....i told the damn midas guys not to top off any fluids...im planning on taking the car to the dealership to pull up the codes and to see what is wrong..and aslo to completely drain the trans fuild to see if there are any metal shavings in the fluid..

is what i am observing correct (i am not the greatest auto savy person)??

At this point, i never really liked autos...would it be wise to swap in a MT tranny ???

i am hopping it is screwing up because of the excess fluid...however...something makes me doubt that...warranty just went out on my SC a couple months back (go figure...perfect timing)...so maybe i should just turn this into a project car
Old 04-20-05, 04:26 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have the automatic tranny for sale out of my clip within the next week, so if you are interested let me know. Will let you get the car running right again while you get everything ready for a project
Old 04-20-05, 04:34 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

A problem witih the tranny can often cause traction control and CEL lights. So your traction system may in fact be okay
Old 04-20-05, 04:34 PM
Scooter99
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission

Hey,
I know of a good transmisson and torque converter in the Northwest suburbs area from a 1997 sc300. It was taking out to do a supra engine and trans swap. I work at Lexus and perform side jobs for alot of the guys around this area on club Lexus. The code you have can be read for free at a local autozone. But if you are interested in getting it done at the dealer I completely understand. Shoot me back a PM.
Thanks, Scott
Old 04-20-05, 08:07 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter99
Hey,
I know of a good transmisson and torque converter in the Northwest suburbs area from a 1997 sc300. It was taking out to do a supra engine and trans swap. I work at Lexus and perform side jobs for alot of the guys around this area on club Lexus. The code you have can be read for free at a local autozone. But if you are interested in getting it done at the dealer I completely understand. Shoot me back a PM.
Thanks, Scott
... and the guy that has the transmission is me. Swapping in 5 speed may be a problem as you have to modify the tranny sub tunnel. That means cutting the top of the tunnel and replacing it with one from manual transmission SC.

Chris

PS. You must be the guy who showed up at the SPL meet and parked the car next to my friend's SC.

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 04-20-05 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-22-05, 05:37 PM
Grimm333
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses guys!! Taking my SC in tomorrow

Yup i was the guy hehe....sorry i couldnt stay and meet everyone....i forgot abuot plans that i didnt remember promising to go to....ya....the guy with the Euro plate shirt that said Grimm333 and the Black/Dark Red spikey hair...yup...thats me...