Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC 400 Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-05, 09:41 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts
Default SC 400 Nitrous Help ?

Hi,

I have been reading alot here but this is my 1st or 2nd post. I have owned Lexus''s from 1992. I have now a1997 SC 400 and am about to put a Nitrous Kit on it. Just wanted to ask a few questions that I did not see when I did a shearch abt Kits.

I am thinking about getting the Zex Wet kit.

1. Anybody here have that kit and what is the most safe Hp to run 100 -125 ?

2. Do you have to retard the timming to use the kit and how ?

3. Anyone Blew a motor and which kit is the best of Zex, NOS, NX. Part #.

Thanks and I enjoy this site alot.

Last edited by jgscott; 04-18-05 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-18-05, 11:16 PM
chrisman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have witnessed some engines/intakes blowing up from wet systems.. remember that the intake manifolds were not designed to distribute liquids/gasoline.i know nitrous explosians are rare, but can happen if fuel puddles up in the intake... i dont want to scare you off from nitrous,,per dollar it is the easiest way to get HP..just make sure it engineered well..
Old 04-18-05, 11:31 PM
RjRacing
Driver

It seems like everyone on this board is scared of N2O b/c "its going to blow up" or something of that nature. I have ran nitrous kits in two sperate cars of mine in the past and one I sprayed 15+ bottles on w/o and problems on a street driven car. If used in moderation, installed correctly for your application it works great. There is no other mod that will get you as much HP per dollar, period.

Also, stick with a 75 shot at first and NX is what I recomend.
Old 04-19-05, 08:39 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your response's. I was told that the wet systems were more safer than the dry systems. Anybody know for a fact ? I want to order one, install by next week and the post a Dyno. My Car has already Dyno'd at 228 Hp.
I was thinking about running the 100 hp Zex systems then getting some headers. Still unsure about how to retard the timing. Is there anybody here who is running a Nitrious System on a SC 400 that can give me some help. Thanks
Old 04-19-05, 10:33 PM
RjRacing
Driver

You can get cam gears and also I would put a cold set of plug in there. It looks like your car is healthy if those numbers are all stock. Also, I would recomend a upgraded fuel pump and adj FPR to bump up the fuel pressure alittle, its safer that way.
Old 04-20-05, 12:39 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RjRacing
You can get cam gears and also I would put a cold set of plug in there. It looks like your car is healthy if those numbers are all stock. Also, I would recomend a upgraded fuel pump and adj FPR to bump up the fuel pressure alittle, its safer that way.
Who sells the fuel pumps and adj FPR ?
Old 04-20-05, 08:00 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a walbro 255 pump is a good idea although the sc400 might be able to handle a small shot its not worth the risk.

You don't need an FPR for the Zex kit. The zex computer bumps up your fuel pressure ! Your fuel line goes into the zex computer then out. However I would contact comp (zex) because they don't list an application for the SC400 but you could try the universal. Only goes up to 75 shot though which isn't enough for me.

I'm trying to figure out what setup I'm going to run as well. I'm leaning towards nitrous express as well. 150 shot for v8.
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/ImportStage1.htm

Last edited by AME_VIP; 04-20-05 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-21-05, 01:26 AM
SCmist
Rookie

I have ran my 92 SC400 that had 160k at the time with a 150 shot. I added a fuel pump to make sure there was always fuel. Don't be too scared. Todd (TM Engineering) ran up to a 300 shot from what I remember. Have Fun!!
Old 04-21-05, 01:50 AM
Seismic
Rookie

Talking FINALLY! This is a great thread!

I'm glad this is getting talked about again. With some of the recent advances/changes in technology and what's available out there, it's about time! I have been exploring the idea of nitrous for some time. If someone does an install, pix would be greatly appriciated!

I'm leaning toward an NX kit as well, but I do recall reading (and I can find the article and mag if anyone wants) about an NX kit that have variable solinoids and a computer. You can control how much nitrous you use and at a variable rate over an adjustable period of time! It's easier on the engine and most definately the transmission to ramp up the shot (according to NX, but it makes sense). For example, you can start out with a 50HP shot, and specify the curve up to 150HP shot over a period of 3 seconds.

Discuss!
Old 04-21-05, 02:06 AM
SCmist
Rookie

When I still had my sc400, The nitrous controller that you are talking about ran across my mind many times. The only reason I didn't go through with all the fancy stuff is because I sold my SC. For track use the controller is the best way to go unless you got slicks. I tried 150 shot with drag radial, it didn't help me at all. maybe it was the track.

I know a lot of people that are scared of nitrous. They have the same ill-effect as being boosted or blown.
Old 04-21-05, 07:21 AM
MyScRuNmIa
Pole Position

Yup, it's all (FI) forced induction, any way you cut it, you are doing the same thing you would do with a turbo or super charger you are forceing a larger amount of fuel an air into to the motor!! GOT JUICE!!!
Old 04-21-05, 07:24 AM
MyScRuNmIa
Pole Position

As of about a month ago i was runing an 80 shoot dry tho, from an NOS kit, it was great i had tractions problems tho but still great on the high way its hard to let off the juice, on the 80 shoot i kept up with my frindes 96 corvette.
Old 04-21-05, 12:38 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCmist what brand and which kit were you running
any pics of it installed ?

the new NOSzle kit from NOS (holley) looks promising as well!
100-300 shot
Old 04-21-05, 01:14 PM
SCmist
Rookie

I was running a NX Kit. NX or NOS, you'll be fine with either one. The only thing that would make me choose over one of the companys are the accessories and setups that they provide. Sorry no pics. It wasn't anything fancy just a basic single fogger. If you run over 100 I would suggest a direct port kit. the distribution to each cylinder.
Old 04-21-05, 03:05 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

OK after a few calls to Zex, NOS and NX. My decision ahas come to the ZEX kit for a few reasons.

1. The neatness of the control units being in1 very well organized unit.

2. Going to use the wetsystem feeliing the is might be slightly more reliable with it not haveing a seperate additional unit that could fail being needed to tell the car to regulate the additional fuel.

Set up will be the 100-125 hp kit with a remote bottle opener because I was told the constant bottle preasue will destroy the silonoids.
I also will use Zex upgared fuel pump.

Thanks for the feedback and if anyone else has any experienced comments please let me know.

Quick Reply: SC 400 Nitrous