Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

WRX 98' Turbo will it work on lexus with a lilo mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 08:08 PM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX 98' Turbo will it work on lexus with a lilo mod?

like the titles say would it work? wat kind of modifcation will it need? i found a guy with a wrx stock turbo for really cheap just wondering if it would work? hes selling it for 300 bucks

hurs some spec

ihi vf-22
#RHB5
Boost is available at 3300rpms.
capable of producing upwards of 320 whp

info on the turbo and pics
Turbo Pic and info
PICTURES

i got this info from the seller tell me if he is not bs, i wanna know if this right info
Old 04-15-05, 08:30 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hehe.... I was thinking about this before... except twins... I believe it does work if you have the right flange
Old 04-15-05, 08:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

We have an engine forum, your thread is now there
Old 04-15-05, 09:25 PM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

hey thx i didnt know im new on this thread great mods!
Old 04-16-05, 12:13 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

sure it will work but you have to ask yourself if its worth it. You still need everything else for a turbo kit, so why go with that one. Using that means custom fabbing up a manifold or modifying one that comes with another kit to get rid of the wastegate pipe and flanging it for the turbo, modifying the dp and then modifying or custom making your intercooler piping.

The only 2 pros i see is that youll have quick spool up (since the 2jz is larger than the wrx motor it will spool sooner than 3300 rpm) and the "good deal" but remember in the end youre going to end up spending more money on this turbo getting it onto your car with all the custom work needed for a small turbo thats going to be limiting alot of other things while you can have the daveh kit for not much more but with a wide span of options you can include. Im sure that turbo will run out of efficiency really quick. Youll spool very quickly but you will probably run out of efficiency before you hit 5500rpm. Do some searching on the forum for more info on the kits available. Youll find all the info you need if you just look around a bit.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-16-05, 08:53 PM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

hey thx that explain alot.. so im not going to buy it, i knew it would cost alot just to mod it... anyways how much would a daveh kit cost?
Old 04-16-05, 09:01 PM
RjRacing
Driver

They never made a WRX in the US in 1998, they made an Imprezza but not in a turbo version, and the VH22 is a very weak turbo that has no top end power even on the the little 2.0 boxer engine. Second, the turbo's are known to blow before even 60K miles, my buddy has only 42K on his slightly modded 03 WRX and it poors white smoke out of the exhaust as is due to the turbo being blown already. Its pointless to try and fab a manifold with a that flange on it as well, just get a turbo kit.
Old 04-16-05, 09:48 PM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

dont go for the wrx turbo. if you want turbo from wrx get the ihi turbo from the sti. i just recently sold a ihi turbo for $700. it may cost more but gives you alot more power.
Old 04-17-05, 12:43 PM
Ryan23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RjRacing
They never made a WRX in the US in 1998, they made an Imprezza but not in a turbo version, and the VH22 is a very weak turbo that has no top end power even on the the little 2.0 boxer engine. Second, the turbo's are known to blow before even 60K miles, my buddy has only 42K on his slightly modded 03 WRX and it poors white smoke out of the exhaust as is due to the turbo being blown already. Its pointless to try and fab a manifold with a that flange on it as well, just get a turbo kit.
I think you are a bit confused. the v "F" 22 is not the OEM turbo on the >02 up WRX. The OEM unit is a mitsu TD04L, which has *zero* top end and generally all around sucks. All the VF series are IHI based turbos and the 22, if anything, is the one that's the most biased towards top end. They have done 310-340 AWHP on a number of 2 liter Subie's with that turbo. Those are dynapack numbers, which tend to read a bit lower anyway. Incidentally, I have a good friend who is on the same *used* VF22 from 3 years back. He is still running strong (low 12's in an 02 Rex).

That being said, a pair of them would be needed on the 2J. Not to mention the IHI's are all internally gated and will creep. Couple that with a pair of custom exhaust manifolds and this setup gets real expansive, real fast. When all is said and done, you would more than likely max out around ~600 RWHP. There are a ton of other, better suited turbos along with a handful of off the shelf kits which would spool faster and make better power.

Ryan
Old 04-17-05, 04:21 PM
TwinTurbos
Driver School Candidate

dave h kits cost like 2100 or sumtin but that has no intercooler. but you could buy a core and then have someone fab u some piping