Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

another na-t question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-05, 11:15 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post another na-t question....

with stock compression, do you really need to use fuel control like the apexi safc1/2 ?
i searched and found out that you dont really need to as long as you upgrade your fuel pump.
i just want to confirm this.

tks guys!!!
Old 03-23-05, 01:11 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, you need to tune your A/F ratio somehow...
Old 03-23-05, 01:28 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

yeah, you need something... bigger injectors + walbro fuel pump

Indy... you're local to me in malibu, right? (socal at least?)

I'll give you my AFC I for cheap ($100 sound fair?)

I'm not sure if it's working or not... I bought it this summer and never used it. If it doesn't work, just give it back.

PM me if you're interested.
Old 03-23-05, 07:33 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For very low boost, I would say it's not "necessary" but your car will just lack tuneability. You'd have to play with fuel pressure w/ the boost. I'd say if you're not going to get an afc at all, it may be kind of ghetto, but at least get a FMU(for a low boost app.). But with deals like ^^^ for an AFC for $100, who could pass that up?
Old 03-23-05, 08:33 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

tks for the infos guys........

supracoupe3, send me pics of that afc to: sokudo88@netscape.com
is there a way you can test it?
yeah, im located in southern cali but malibu might be quite a drive.....i have to see.
Old 03-23-05, 09:10 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I've been running an SAFCII with 5psi and for the most part the SAFC hasn't been able to do much because my ECU is interfering heavily.
About a month ago I received my AEM unit and attempted an install (the dumbass that I am, I completey removed the SAFC first).
To make a long story short, my first AEM install attempt was unsuccessful and now I'm running no fuel management at all.
I've been keeping an eye on my wideband and it actually looks pretty much the same as it did with the SAFC.

The reason the SAFC hasn't worked well for me is I have an OBD-II ECU which is allergic to boost.
Since you have OBDI (If I remember correctly) the SAFC would be a great tuning tool for you.
I'll be putting mine up for sale shortly.
$200 shipped sounds fair to me.

Good luck with your project.

~Alan
Old 03-23-05, 09:28 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

i would absolutely not run without it. obd-ii cars have run into all kinds of problems with tuning but the obd-1 cars love it. The only problems is in the region right when you start to boost. The computer doesnt really know what to do so it dumps fuel in creating the usual off the chart dip in the a/f chart. Otherwise, the safc will get the a/f curve flat as an arrow (read: safe power)

Those are some great deals on the safc's
Drop me a PM if you want to get rid of it and you wont have to bother with posting it for sale =)
is it by any chance the special edition black?
Old 03-23-05, 10:08 AM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
I've been running an SAFCII with 5psi and for the most part the SAFC hasn't been able to do much because my ECU is interfering heavily.
About a month ago I received my AEM unit and attempted an install (the dumbass that I am, I completey removed the SAFC first).
To make a long story short, my first AEM install attempt was unsuccessful and now I'm running no fuel management at all.
I've been keeping an eye on my wideband and it actually looks pretty much the same as it did with the SAFC.

The reason the SAFC hasn't worked well for me is I have an OBD-II ECU which is allergic to boost.
Since you have OBDI (If I remember correctly) the SAFC would be a great tuning tool for you.

~Alan
join my "i'm a moron too club" jk.

i'm kind of in the same position as you. attempting to put in my aem and sensors which is the only thing hold back my car from going on the road. but luckily i've meet some friends who came and helped out quite a bit. just wondering how you're planning on tuning. the traditional way? or boost compensation?
Old 03-23-05, 10:25 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe

~Alan

I just spoke to one of my aem tuning buddies with an in house dyno. If youre in socal and need some help with installing/tuning drop me a pm and i can give you the number of my friends shop. They have an in house dyno with WB available and they do aem installs/tuning all day long. i was telling reamemiya about them in case the problems never went away. Let me know if you want their contact info. I asked specifically about the obd-II difference and he said it shouldnt make a difference at all and they can fix up whatever problems you have.
Old 03-23-05, 11:00 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Indy,
paypal me $10 bucks for shipping, and I'll ship this sucker out.

if it works, paypal me another $90, if I doesn't, I'll refund your money and you just ship it back.

lmk via pm
Old 03-23-05, 04:19 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rscott
The only problems is in the region right when you start to boost. The computer doesnt really know what to do so it dumps fuel in creating the usual off the chart dip in the a/f chart.
This and a few other problems are fixed by mounting the MAF near the TB on the IC piping (blow-through).
If you want to read some of my preaching, search for posts by me containing "MAF"

is it by any chance the special edition black?
Sorry, it's the not-so-special-edition blue.

Let me know if you want their contact info. I asked specifically about the obd-II difference and he said it shouldnt make a difference at all and they can fix up whatever problems you have.
Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it someday.
All OBD-II related problems can be forgotten with AEM because once the stock ECU hits the trash-can, OBD-II goes with it.

Originally Posted by reamemiya
just wondering how you're planning on tuning. the traditional way? or boost compensation?
I lucked out and stole the .cal file from another '96 5spd guy who's gone through extensive tuning.
It won't be perfect but it'll be good enough for my 8-10psi on stock CR.
From looking at the .cal, it looks like they tuned him up to 6psi and then used boost compensation from there.

Cheers,
~Alan
Old 03-23-05, 11:29 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
Indy,
paypal me $10 bucks for shipping, and I'll ship this sucker out.

if it works, paypal me another $90, if I doesn't, I'll refund your money and you just ship it back.

lmk via pm
is this the hks super afr? the one with three *****?

Last edited by indypwr; 03-23-05 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-24-05, 09:32 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

SPORT coupe: check your PMs
Old 03-24-05, 09:35 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

pat: the hks unit isnt so great. Go with the safc. The safc for $100 is NOT a bad deal at all. In fact, its a great deal.

I think consensus among dyno tuners at least that ive spoken to is that the hks afr is junk and a few of them have actually said to pull it out, try to sell it to recoup the funds, and get an apex'i safc
Old 03-24-05, 12:37 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

SPORT coupe: check your PMs
Back at ya.

Quick Reply: another na-t question....