Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Seafoam experts, check in here.

Old 09-11-11, 01:59 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont plan on putting it in my crank case. would i be safe to just run it throught the manifold?
Old 09-11-11, 04:58 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to some people its just snake oil.

your safe not using it. so from there, your guess is as good as anyonelse's
It may or may not work. may or may not cause damage.
If my lexus tech says dont touch it.. i dont touch it..
not saying he is god and knows all but.. id trust him over some crazy ppl with smoke shows on youtube.

I look at it like this.
my foot doenst hurt.
i stub my toe. it hurts.. after a short time. it doenst hurt and i feel better!!!
but was it better than before i stubbed it?

so if you want your car to run rough for 5-15 mins.. then your like OOh YAA its better ... was it really better? or just a trick of the mind?
Old 09-12-11, 07:04 AM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see where you are coming from, but just because you SAY its bad doesnt really mean it is. IF it was that bad of a product it wouldnt be on the shelves today. Maybe your lex tech guy hasnt used the product yet. JUST SAYING. I used to say I was not going to do a motorswap cuz yatta yatta yaataa, but that was because I never relized if it was going to be worth it.
Coming to the point I just dont want any bad things happening. =]
Old 09-12-11, 11:10 AM
Alex2JZSex
Driver

I did it in my sc300 yesterday, I got a few codes and my idle hasn't been the same :/
Old 09-12-11, 03:27 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex2JZSex
I did it in my sc300 yesterday, I got a few codes and my idle hasn't been the same :/
did u check out what codes you have yet? could be that you fouled out your plugs
Old 09-22-11, 08:36 AM
OBEY414
Rookie

I have a 97 with a cat. converter, will this have an affect on it??
Old 09-22-11, 09:14 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Superjatt
I see where you are coming from, but just because you SAY its bad doesnt really mean it is. IF it was that bad of a product it wouldnt be on the shelves today. Maybe your lex tech guy hasnt used the product yet. JUST SAYING. I used to say I was not going to do a motorswap cuz yatta yatta yaataa, but that was because I never relized if it was going to be worth it.
Coming to the point I just dont want any bad things happening. =]
False.

The list goes on...
Old 09-22-11, 10:20 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Water ftw. If it doesn't work, at least it cost me next to nothing
Old 09-22-11, 04:35 PM
Baaku
Rookie

I've used it over the years (gas tank and vacuum hose)... but I won't put it in my oil, much too risky since we don't really have a consistent outcome (neither here or on the Infiniti Form-- I have a G35 too).

However, if you have concerns about a clean engine, my thinking is that the absolute safest and most effective approach is to change your oil and filter every 1K miles for 2-4 oil changes. Let the detergents in the new oil clean your engine out. I change my own oil (every 8K with Castrol Edge or Penn Plat Ultra), so the cost is minimal. If you decide to use the frequent oil changes, I suggest a good dino oil to keep costs down, and then return to synthetic once you're done with the process.

One young lady's 2 cents
Isa

Last edited by Baaku; 09-22-11 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-10-11, 05:17 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I took apart my top end yesterday to do valve cover gaskets. It looked good enough for a 200k mile motor but the seafoam didn't even put a dent in the carbon in the intake, even spraying it directly on it and letting it soak.

I had to use carb cleaner/brake cleaner and a flat head screw driver to clean the hardened gunk out. I could see it helping the fuel injectors at this point but not much else (at least for higher mileage motors), I'll still use it but not often - more like a preventive maintenance every 20k miles.

The chiseling and brake cleaner combo was well worth it. My throttle response is CRAZY now in comparison to before when it felt sluggish on the throttle. The only part I didn't tackle was the LIM because I was tired and my back hurt from bending over the car all day so I was in a rush to button it all back up. The Y-Piece and the Throttle Body are 100% clean now.
Old 12-30-11, 10:32 PM
lilnado
Rookie

sorry to bring this back up but on my yota 22re we took the head off i pourd1/2 in gas tank and half in my valve cover no fould plugs and like new motor that has almost 300k and my sc3 i did it i still have a smooth idle at 230k seafoam is pure petroleum i had the best results just driving it im against reving my engine to hi rpms like that damage is most likely to happen and when you have a highfuel flow and you soak your plugs wouldnt they foul out? lol my solution just drive it out not scream your engine to redline as for the turbo car issues carbon may clog the oil lines to cause the issues so if your turbo it will most likely cause an issue my solution use a stock header for sea foaming<i might be wrong a lil bit so dont judge me to bad
Old 12-31-11, 10:51 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lilnado
sorry to bring this back up but on my yota 22re we took the head off i pourd1/2 in gas tank and half in my valve cover no fould plugs and like new motor that has almost 300k and my sc3 i did it i still have a smooth idle at 230k seafoam is pure petroleum i had the best results just driving it im against reving my engine to hi rpms like that damage is most likely to happen and when you have a highfuel flow and you soak your plugs wouldnt they foul out? lol my solution just drive it out not scream your engine to redline as for the turbo car issues carbon may clog the oil lines to cause the issues so if your turbo it will most likely cause an issue my solution use a stock header for sea foaming<i might be wrong a lil bit so dont judge me to bad
I'm still trying to figure out if this is a question or maybe a statement?
Old 01-05-12, 06:51 PM
Blk96sc3
Driver School Candidate

I used the lucas fuel system cleaner from walmart... $8 just put in gas tank...fixed my hesistation in a few days...completely gone! Did smoke white a little..but not anymore and is definitely more responsive and faster...better mpg as well.
Old 01-06-12, 02:51 PM
barry92sc
Driver School Candidate

Seafoaming tomorrow on my 92 SC4 with 207k miles. I'll let you all know the results. I think for the first time I will just use a can in the gas. The oil needs changing but I just changed the plugs and rotors. The car still runs strong but has never been seafoamed or cleaned. It does have some hesitation issues so I'm hoping this fixes the issue. I'll let you know.
Old 01-15-12, 10:06 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SeaFoam is now CLEAR in California.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seafoam experts, check in here.