Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Seafoam experts, check in here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-05, 09:35 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dramon
Actually right after I read this thread I ran out and bought two cans of seafoam. Tried using them....yeah. Car smoked a lot and fouled my plugs. Honestly, i really didnt notice any difference at all.
How did you get it in your engine?

And FYI, seafoam does mess up your plugs and oil after you use it. Because it sends broken carbon bits all over the place.
Old 08-18-05, 03:18 PM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I got a 1JZ with about 40k, but the engine has been sitting there untouched for about 1 year. Do I need Seafoam?

I got another 4 banger with about 90k, Do I need seafoam?
Old 08-18-05, 03:28 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D1GP
I got a 1JZ with about 40k, but the engine has been sitting there untouched for about 1 year. Do I need Seafoam?

I got another 4 banger with about 90k, Do I need seafoam?
If it is untouched, I would rather take the head apart from the block, the intake manifold too, and clean it out that way.
Old 08-20-05, 10:16 PM
Dramon
Driver

I dumped some into my crankcase, and dumped some into my gas tank, and then sucked some in through the brake booster line.
Old 08-20-05, 10:50 PM
shaman
Rookie

Can I make some suggestions. I have been reading about different people using this on several different boards, and suggestions from the oil nut website www.bobistheoilguy.com

I would use most of it into the intake. Use the highest from the engine vacuum hose so that it gets to touch the most metal. Also, Change your oil after you use it. Carbon will break off, and will get into your engine. If you engine is drity enough, a big enough piece can brake off and get btween something that it doesn't need to be between, like for instance a bearing in a 5.0 Mustang.

If you really want to clean up the engine, use Seafoam or B-12 Chemtool in the pistons, like mentioned ont he first page. Pull plugs, pour in. Rotate crank if possible to get some into rings, let sit overnight. Vacuum out, or crank the engine without plugs to blast stuff out. Put in old plugs, and run the crap out of the engine for until it stops smoking, then change the oil

Or, suck it up, and change oil and plugs if needed.
Old 08-22-05, 01:51 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man i wish it was easy to change plugs in the SC
Old 08-23-05, 01:22 AM
shaman
Rookie

Originally Posted by ummagawd
man i wish it was easy to change plugs in the SC
For the soak you could just stuff a rag in the intake and paper towels in the spark plug holesand let the junk sit overnight with the spark plugs out. Leave the paper towels in to turn over the engine to get the junk out, then put them back in to start it up. Can I suggest going to Wallyworld and picking up some Autolites for 98 cents a piece just to clean out the engine. As long as it will spark, I don't think the spark plugs matter for 5 minutes.
Old 08-23-05, 08:50 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

oh i don't mind buying some cheap spark plugs to swap real quick..... but its a PITA to change spark plugs... gotta take off the y-pipe, all the crap thats in that area, etc...
Old 10-30-05, 10:17 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

I support brua.
Semi-inside joke.
Old 10-30-05, 11:18 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

For the mechanically stupid, can someone post a picture of where we are supposed to put it into? More specifically, for the brake booster / PCV hose.

I'm going to give this a shot.

Thanks.
-Brian.
Old 10-31-05, 12:11 PM
actuary
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoogieBoogie
For the mechanically stupid, can someone post a picture of where we are supposed to put it into? More specifically, for the brake booster / PCV hose.

I'm going to give this a shot.

Thanks.
-Brian.
Its the hose connect to the PCV valve, you can't miss it.
Old 10-31-05, 12:28 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Honestly after sitting down and thinking about it, I would say the way O.L.T. used his seafoam, through the gas tank, is probably the best way to do it. It will clean your fuel rail, lines, injectors, and the carbon off your cylinder walls, the tops of your pistons, the combustion chamber and exhaust manifolds as well.

I used to do the Motorvac carbon clean service on some vehicles, where you attach fittings to the cars fuel lines and make a closed loop to the machine so you can run the car off the machines fuel system. It runs its own cleaner through the fuel system and is similar to the seafoam, only alot better. I wouldnt think putting it in the oil would be nearly as good as the fuel system as it would never reach areas where carbon builds up the most .

So would anyone else agree the gas tank is probably the better method to use?
Old 11-02-05, 05:00 AM
tarq3
Driver

Ok so after reading aLL of this were do i get this Seafoam stuFF as i don't remember sEEing it in any stores
Old 11-23-05, 12:08 PM
fallabel
Rookie

Following the instructions on the can (before reading this thread), I added the Seafoam to new oil before adding the oil to the engine during an oil change. I drove the car around today, and everything's fine. Do I need to drain the oil out now? Is there anything else I should worry about? I read the whole thread, but it left me with more questions than answers.
Old 11-23-05, 12:34 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

i used it in my tank before, and when i had to change injectors a few weeks later anyways, they looked brand new, the fuel pump looked brand new.. it removes all varnish

Quick Reply: Seafoam experts, check in here.