Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need help with possible ECU problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 10:30 AM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with possible ECU problem

Okay, 5 months ago, I blew out my clutch. My Car has been sitting up since November, and last week I finanlly broke down and took it to the shop (93' SC300). I got a new clutch installed, but when I picked up the car, the guy that worked on it told me that the radiator fan blew apart (which I knew), and knocked a hole in the battery. He jump started me and I was going to go to autozone and get the battery replaced there on my way home.

So I get to autozone, and not 10 seconds before they are going to place a new battery in my car on the spot, the guy said "hey, you got this from walmart.. why don't you go there and get it replaced for free, because the battery is just 6 months old". Still, i just wanted the problem fix, I wasn't that concerned, about the 40 dollars for the new battery. However, after a couple of minutes of convencing, I went to wal mart.

Remember, I couldn't cut off my car because the battery had a hole in it, so I went to wal mart, I didn't see an instaltion center, so I just went home and said I would take care of it tomorrow.

So yesterday I went in wal mart, old battery in hand, and attempted to try to get a replacement for it.

First, I was supposed to get it for free, which they wouldn't do, because it had a hole in it, said they didn't cover that. I chalked it up to going to wal mart and not autozone in the first place, and bought the new battery.

Now, keep in mind I have the battery that needs to replaced there IN MY HAND, THAT I GOT FROM WAL MART.

The guy went to go get me a replacement, and came back 2 mintues later with a battery.

So after paying, I go home and try to put it in. I have done it before, not rocket sience. However, I was trying to get it on, and I noticed one side as too small, and the other was too big. I was thinking "maybe this battery is backwards, becuase I tink if I turned it around this would fit" but then I said well, the guy gave me this battery, so it must work.

So after 45 mintues of tinckering around, i coudln't get it to work. Icalled a friend of mine, who is actually a member of these forums, and alot obetter then I am with cars.

He came over, had the same problem I did. He then confirmed what I thought... "I think this is the wrong battery".

So, I got back to wal mart, looked up the new battery my self this time, got it replaced, went home, tried to put it in and it was the right battery this time.

Now, because the old battery was backwards, I was tr ying to hook up a negative charge to a positive and a positive charge to the negative. Once I found out what I did, my first concern was the ECU.

Now, when I got the new battery in, the lights in the car came on, all of them, including the headlights, but when I put my key in the car, it doesn't do anything.

Now, I am 99% sure it's one of two things; it's either the ECU or it could possibly be a blown fuse.

If it's the ECU, i found one for my car for $49, so it wouldn't be the end of the world. If it 's the fuse, I need to know where the fuse box in my car is.
Old 03-19-05, 12:33 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well why don't you check all of the fuses? In the time it took you to type this post you could have narrowed it down already. Go check all the fuses underneath the hood (under black cover behind battery) and in the footwell (driver's side). Make sure that they are all good. Replace any blown ones. Then post back what you find.
Old 03-21-05, 08:26 AM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

I went and looked at the fuses, and one was blown. I replaced it and there wasn't any difference at all, the lights still come on, but when I put my key in the ignition, nothing happens.
Old 03-21-05, 11:08 PM
chrisman
Driver

man, i hiope its not an ecu, .. these cars have a bunch of them,, if one is bad, you might have messed a few..
make sure you check all the fusses--even the large-wierd ones..
when you were trying to get the wrong bat to start the car, what did you attempt? is there something you tried? make sure you try and remember everything you tried to get the car to start..
did you try jump starting the car when you had the wrong bat in it?
Old 03-22-05, 07:29 AM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrisman
man, i hiope its not an ecu, .. these cars have a bunch of them,, if one is bad, you might have messed a few..
make sure you check all the fusses--even the large-wierd ones..
when you were trying to get the wrong bat to start the car, what did you attempt? is there something you tried? make sure you try and remember everything you tried to get the car to start..
did you try jump starting the car when you had the wrong bat in it?
No, I never tried to jump start it, i had no reason to.

When I put the wrong battery in, the second I put the negative cable on the positive end of the battery, i got a little spark.

AFter I got it on the battery, i opened up the car and the lights didn't come on.

I put my key in the ignition and nothing happened.

I messed around with it for another 30 or so mintues and everytime the lights wouldn't come on, and the key did nothing.
Old 03-22-05, 09:28 AM
chrisman
Driver

well, the little spark means that something was drawing a small amount of juice.. maybee it was a fuse that you havenot checked yet.. the fuse box has those large fuses-- look at each one..