Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

C's Supercharged Soarer

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 04:06 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C's Supercharged Soarer

After some time in planning, the execution only took a a few days including a full engine service & re-shimming the camshafts.

Old 03-16-05, 04:08 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

hows it run
Old 03-16-05, 04:56 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

What took a little longer was changing EVERY suspension bush as I dont think 11yr old rubber bushes are going to cut it once the tuning is sorted out. Using Andrew Vlamos bushes in the front/rear, upper & lower suspension arms and the steering rack. Toyota components in the rear hubs and strut rods, front/rear rollbar rubbers, gearbox mount, propshaft centre mounting and rear axle cage mounts. We also fitted new front air shocks at the same time (the UZZ31 has air suspension as std).

Think you have a smooth ride? Think again, my Soarer drives and feels like a brand new car, it is the best Soarer ride I have ever been in and I have driven quite a few. More than that the handling is also markedly improved.

Whats a blown V8 Soarer like to drive? It's "quick", not as quick as the old Twin Turbo Soarer running 17psi on hybrids but without re-mapping the knock sensor is working overtime and pulling everything back from 4,000rpm. The power delivery is just smooooth unlike the Flash Bang of the TT, it's just a constant rate of more accelleration from tickover all the way to a huge flat spot at 4,000rpm (knock sensor kicking in), I presume the ECU takes a more liberal approach from there onwards and the power is more like normal, just a little bit quicker.

When I have recovered from paying for the blower/service/suspension work, we will have it taken to Unichip for mapping and probably water injection to combat the detonation, the stock 4 box exhaust (de-catted) will be replaced with a straight through stainless system.

I havent had time to get any figures from my G-Tech meter but the 0-60 is around 6.5sec (about 300bhp flywheel) so it's no slouch but I would expect a sub 6sec when it's tuned and running around 350bhp flywheel. I will not be fitting a shift kit or hi-stall TQ, I do not want to ruin that delicious ride but the lower geared TT diff might go in.

Last edited by London Bill; 03-16-05 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-16-05, 05:12 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!
That should respond well to the exhaust you have planned, and even better to the tuning.
Might even have to use an extra injector run off the Unichip; our Unichip tuner mentioned that we were close to max duty cycle w/our n/a cars, and I have upped my fuel pressure a bit to compensate for mods done since that tune.
Looks like a pro-job all the way.
Old 03-16-05, 05:25 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCV8
Nice!
That should respond well to the exhaust you have planned, and even better to the tuning.
Might even have to use an extra injector run off the Unichip; our Unichip tuner mentioned that we were close to max duty cycle w/our n/a cars, and I have upped my fuel pressure a bit to compensate for mods done since that tune.
Looks like a pro-job all the way.
Cheers SCV8,
The C's kit looks perfectly stock (it was designed for the JDM V8 Celsior) but it just looks like it has always lived there. The credit for the transplant goes to Smiffie and the boys at SSS in Barking, Essex, UK.

I forgot to mention I will be lifing the fuel rail pressure with an adjustable FPR, Rob Hayden (ALSC) informs me the Eaton M90 blower has a tapping at the rear of the plenum where an additional injector could be housed (this can be run off the Unichip) which would provide more fuel and additional charge cooling, this could negate the need for water injection, but the water injection would provide another 1.5psi boost as it seals the rotors, hmmmm.
Old 03-16-05, 05:32 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

niceeeee!

looks like something needs to be done to the intake box (bfi) or just getting a simple intake.

Old 03-16-05, 08:28 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reamemiya
niceeeee!

looks like something needs to be done to the intake box (bfi) or just getting a simple intake.

Yep, I would like to fit the SS Induction (that we make & distribute in the UK) but it's possible the water injection tank will need to go in front of the rad ruling that out, might still be possible with the right shaped tank, short/shallow but quite wide as it needs to be around 7ltrs.

I have seen a few BFI's and know they work well but I really dont want the induction roar, this car is a real sleeper, whisper quiet, deceptively quick.
Old 03-16-05, 11:45 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

London Bill:

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME Knew you could do it. I always think it a bit humorous that guys above 30, like us, get questioned so much as to why we pursue the tuning of our cars for more speed and quickness. Looking forward to hearing about your ride after the Unichip tuning.

I was at the Lexus dealer today, picking up a few clips for the driver's side door panel (the dealer had been in there to replace my window regulator about 2 years ago, and to replace the wrap around window sill, and the tech that did the job apparently rushed through it, bent the clips, and never even bothered to replace them or the missing one. As well, he left the broken piece of plastic from the previous window wrap in place, bent it back, and obviously did not connect the new wrap around to the door at that one point. Pisses me off when I pay good money to people that only perform half baked jobs.). The reason I was in there myself, was that I had suffered enough from the cracked lower pocket door panels, and replaced them with new ones from the factory. Looks fantastic now!! And, no more rattles from the doors!! Anyway, I was discussing the parts guy's Audi A4 turbo, and my soon to be completed TT V8, and one of the Techs was puzzled as to why we needed to get to the next light any faster... I told him that if he had to ask that question, he would never understand

Great work Bill, you truly drive a rare Soarer/SC V8 now...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400T; 03-16-05 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-18-05, 05:57 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

My old 1JZ , hybrid Twin Turbo Soarer was a fairly quick car, the fire breathing, flash-bang-wallop power delivery was also fun and it could hold it's own the road own with many modern vehicles, in comparison the stock 260bhp V8 is a complete sluggard.

Unlike the slammed TT with it's wailing and huge exhaust, Yakuza looks very tame, no spoilers, lowered slightly, the only indication of it's sporting ability is the wide 18" BBS rims. So I thought if I could combine the sheer power of the TT and the stealth looks of the V8 it would make a nice street sleeper.

When a young pup tries to give it some in his souped-up "Hot Hatch", I want to humiliate him, very few tried it on with the TT (I think the exhaust noise frightened them off) but with the more restrained looks of the V8 they are more tempted to have a go, you just know they are saying "what the **** was that" when they get left in it's wake.

These little buzz boxes like the Honda Civic Type R have an incredible power to weight ratio, hence the need for the supercharger on the V8. Nitrous is still an option for those "little moments", I wont be truly happy until an XKR is left in the dust.

Last edited by London Bill; 03-18-05 at 07:20 PM.