Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Injen Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-05, 10:13 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Injen Intakes

Guys,

Are all of the Injen intakes for the SC400 short ram?

I know that the BFI is supposed to produce better results, but I don't think they look very good. I like how the Injen looks.

I have found it for $196 shipped in chrome.

What do u think?

Jonny
Old 02-18-05, 10:21 AM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its all for looks. I have it for a sc300, it sounds louder and looks good, but thats about all it does, don't expect exponential gains in HP. $196 is a good price.
Old 02-18-05, 10:26 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thomas C
I think its all for looks. I have it for a sc300, it sounds louder and looks good, but thats about all it does, don't expect exponential gains in HP. $196 is a good price.
I agree with each and every thing Thomas stated, every bit of it. I have the Injen on my 300 as well.
Old 02-18-05, 11:16 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

The Injen intake doesn't give you any power increase and may even decrease power. A friend of mine pulled out his stock air box and bought a K&N Cone filter kit, 3" aluminum 90d elbow and some silicone adapters. He cut a 3.25" hole underneath where the air box was and installed the filter underneath for a REAL cold air intake. Man, you can hear AND feel the difference. It's making me want to do the same. I can see if I can get pics of it for you. PM me if you want them.
Old 02-20-05, 09:41 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Jeremy,

You get a chance to get those pics yet?? I need to start getting this stuff ordered.

Thx man,
Jonny
Old 02-20-05, 11:45 AM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Putting on mods even though it is known these parts will not improve performance. Isn't that the definition of ricer?
Old 02-20-05, 04:40 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
Jeremy,

You get a chance to get those pics yet?? I need to start getting this stuff ordered.

Thx man,
Jonny
Not yet. His car is at his shop so hopefully he brings his camera to work tomorrow. I'll send him an email to make sure he does.
Old 02-20-05, 08:23 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by verylost
Putting on mods even though it is known these parts will not improve performance. Isn't that the definition of ricer?
No, that is the definition of someone who wants their car to look good.

Do wheels improve performance - NO. Do bodykits improve performance - NO

Do half of our members here have them - YES. Are they ricers - NO.

If you have nothing constructive to say then don't take up space in my posts

Jonny

Last edited by VSsc400; 02-21-05 at 06:55 AM. Reason: calling other members names
Old 02-20-05, 08:31 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

i'll trade ya my K&N intake for your stock one
Old 02-20-05, 08:55 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
No, that is the definition of someone who wants their car to look good.

Do wheels improve performance - NO. Do bodykits improve performance - NO

Do half of our members here have them - YES. Are they ricers - NO.

If you have nothing constructive to say then don't take up space in my posts

Jonny
Wheels do improve performance. Talk to Vssc400 and ask him why he's in search of lighter but wider wheels. Lexcoupe recently purchased some Gram Lights which weigh less than stock rims and are wider. Beautiful wheels that also improve traction with less weight.
Bodykits can improve performance, but most don't hinder performance. They are mostly aesthetic but the mod can be seen anytime. How often do you open your hood to show off a stock motor? Why would someone open their hood to show off a stock motor?
Most of our members do not buy the injen or any other aftermarket intakes once they find out about the BFI.

I can't dictate how you spend your $200, but you should know the "R" word is what people are thinking when they see the shiny intake. Am I really an idiot for not spending $200 to make my car slower? I think aluminum foil only costs $2 dollars a roll and you get the same effect.

And yes I am being constructive by trying to save you from embarassment later on.

Here is some more constructive advice. If you want to "fancy" up your engine bay, there are numerous other options.

1. Ummagawd recently sold a beautful carbon fiber strut tower brace which I believe is for sale again on SF. This is brace costs about the same as the injen intake and it doesn't actually hurt the performance of your car.
2. Paint the plastic covers. It's a cheap fun weekend mod. And the paint doesn't slow the car down either.
3. Colored wire looms and colored silicon hoses
4. Grounding kit.

Last edited by VSsc400; 02-21-05 at 06:56 AM. Reason: improper behaviour quoted in the text. corrected to reflect OP
Old 02-21-05, 06:17 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

just dont go overboard with the painting:

Old 02-21-05, 06:51 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DX3, Verylost:

both of you guys I have a personal relationship with so I won't comment for or against neither one of you guys.

But I will state a clublexus rule that was broken here.

DX3: please refrain from calling other members names. You've been here long enough to know that calling someone names is not an accepted behaviour. -It's been edited for content-
Old 02-21-05, 06:55 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

I think a ricer is defined as someone with bad taste in modding. I mean things like wheels that stick out 6" past their wheel well.

Home depot hinges to make your doors lambo doors (still wrong)
Old 02-21-05, 08:01 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

well the injen intake can hinder performance but that's because it's not sucking in cold air, but rather sucking in more hot air. with this being the case, since it is a short ram, i recommend you opt for a nice box to surround the filter then combine that with a sort of funnel or tube to direct air from outside to the filter. What i did with my injen was just that. i used sheetmetal and created a box (coated in anti-heat) completely around the filter on all sides but the headlight side. then using a laundry dryer ducting (aluminum type) i attached one end near the foglight/turnlight and to the part where the snorkel would go. This way it won't heatsoak for as long as the car is moving as well as stationary as that's what hte box would do.
Old 02-21-05, 08:21 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexAnt
well the injen intake can hinder performance but that's because it's not sucking in cold air, but rather sucking in more hot air. with this being the case, since it is a short ram, i recommend you opt for a nice box to surround the filter then combine that with a sort of funnel or tube to direct air from outside to the filter. What i did with my injen was just that. i used sheetmetal and created a box (coated in anti-heat) completely around the filter on all sides but the headlight side. then using a laundry dryer ducting (aluminum type) i attached one end near the foglight/turnlight and to the part where the snorkel would go. This way it won't heatsoak for as long as the car is moving as well as stationary as that's what hte box would do.
The heat problem is only a part of the problem. Peter Scott over at www.planetsoarer.com showed in an article that the stock intake's flow dynamics are actually ideal for the car. The stock intake under NA conditions has been proven on the dyno to out perform all current intakes.

http://www.planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html

Last edited by verylost; 02-21-05 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Injen Intakes