Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What EMS to USE on the New Beast and other Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-05, 12:23 PM
TurboSCLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What EMS to USE on the New Beast and other Stuff

Ok , so after having fun with the current BPU set up, I am getting ready to move on and make real power. I made 400 rwhp and 430+ rwtq on the stock ecu with a MAS at 18 psi (1.23 bar). I am debating which EMS to go with...being that I am a DIY kinda guy the AEM EMS sounds pretty good because its was designed by GEMS(http://www.gems.co.uk/ems/standard_aem15.html) with AEM in the UK. GEMS has been making EMS since 1985 and have had great sucess in rally competition as well as other forms of competitive racing. My only concern is that is that the car will now have to run in waste fire, which is really a no big deal but alot of people have had a significant amount of issues with misfires. But at the same time there are a hand full of guys that it works flawlessly for. Granted if I choose the AEM there will be a minimal amount of wiring done and since I did the entire wiring on the car myself, when doing the upgrade it will save me the agony of going back and wiring it all over again if I use other stand alone options such as motec, autotronic, electromotive, etc..... Other options include HKS F-CON V pro which is also a drop in replacement to say the least, but there are no tunners in my area and I cannot get the software to tune myself, becasue it is only distributed to authorized HKS pro dealers. The last option is microtech but I wood have to design a wiring hardness adapter. I could go this route but I really don't want to if its not nessary.The only advantage is that it will cost less to intergrate the microtech but it has less inputs for future use.

I am also planning on building a carputer with a touch screen built into my dash so I can do monitor and tune how ever my heart desires and eventually control my voice activated nitrous algorithm that I wrote in collage that I now would like to implement but need a stout FLOPS machine to do it. Anyways sorry for rambleing so much let me know what you guys think. Oh what you think about these turbo setups: ITS-GT66DBB,Garret-GT40R, or PTE-PT67 or 68 (most expensive to least expensive).

Thanks,
-Adriel
Old 02-11-05, 12:43 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, sounds like you have a lot to be dealing with I've heard a lot of horror stories by people running the AEM EMS, but if you have it tuned by a professional you should be ok. But I have heard nothing but good reviews on Motec stuff. If I ever decides to go standalone when I do my 1JZ swap, thats probably what I would go with.
Old 02-11-05, 02:41 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard any horror stories about AEM, just rumors of people trying to tune it who have no place trying.

AEM is used an many 1000 HP MKIVs IIRC Marco uses AEM. Search over on SupraForums.com and you'll find some great info.

Ryan Woon uses AEM, Peter Blach does (1132 RWHP)...

It works just fine.
Old 02-11-05, 02:41 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

I think I'm one of the few or maybe the only SC owner that has a Motec in the car. I personally like it. Never had a single problem but all this comes at a price as well. AEM is cheaper in the end. Both are good standalone options.

Added note; PHR does have a Motec unit to plug into the stock wiring harness.

Last edited by TurboB6; 02-11-05 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-11-05, 03:12 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Originally Posted by TurboSCLex
...eventually control my voice activated nitrous algorithm that I wrote in collage that I now would like to implement but need a stout FLOPS machine to do it. Anyways sorry for rambleing so much let me know what you guys think. Oh what you think about these turbo setups: ITS-GT66DBB,Garret-GT40R, or PTE-PT67 or 68 (most expensive to least expensive).

Thanks,
-Adriel
Ummm..... wut..........

pays your bills currently?

Any of those set-ups are rockin'... what about tec3 with stack or PHR map? You can reach your goals with 900$ in engine management to 8,000$ ...

That's the kicker. Seems like AEM and tec3 have the best results when the money is put into it. If the tuning is right.
Old 02-11-05, 04:37 PM
PM Supra
Driver

Originally Posted by TurboB6
I think I'm one of the few or maybe the only SC owner that has a Motec in the car. I personally like it. Never had a single problem but all this comes at a price as well. AEM is cheaper in the end. Both are good standalone options.

Added note; PHR does have a Motec unit to plug into the stock wiring harness.
AEM has this thing called PLUG AND PLAY. I made 624 rwhp on a AEM with a total stock GE.
Old 02-11-05, 05:11 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Did you use a thicker head gasket or just race gas to make the power?
Old 02-11-05, 05:14 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TurboSCLex
Ok , so after having fun with the current BPU set up, I am getting ready to move on and make real power. I made 400 rwhp and 430+ rwtq on the stock ecu with a MAS at 18 psi (1.23 bar). I am debating which EMS to go with...being that I am a DIY kinda guy the AEM EMS sounds pretty good because its was designed by GEMS(http://www.gems.co.uk/ems/standard_aem15.html) with AEM in the UK. GEMS has been making EMS since 1985 and have had great sucess in rally competition as well as other forms of competitive racing. My only concern is that is that the car will now have to run in waste fire, which is really a no big deal but alot of people have had a significant amount of issues with misfires. But at the same time there are a hand full of guys that it works flawlessly for. Granted if I choose the AEM there will be a minimal amount of wiring done and since I did the entire wiring on the car myself, when doing the upgrade it will save me the agony of going back and wiring it all over again if I use other stand alone options such as motec, autotronic, electromotive, etc..... Other options include HKS F-CON V pro which is also a drop in replacement to say the least, but there are no tunners in my area and I cannot get the software to tune myself, becasue it is only distributed to authorized HKS pro dealers. The last option is microtech but I wood have to design a wiring hardness adapter. I could go this route but I really don't want to if its not nessary.The only advantage is that it will cost less to intergrate the microtech but it has less inputs for future use.

I am also planning on building a carputer with a touch screen built into my dash so I can do monitor and tune how ever my heart desires and eventually control my voice activated nitrous algorithm that I wrote in collage that I now would like to implement but need a stout FLOPS machine to do it. Anyways sorry for rambleing so much let me know what you guys think. Oh what you think about these turbo setups: ITS-GT66DBB,Garret-GT40R, or PTE-PT67 or 68 (most expensive to least expensive).

Thanks,
-Adriel
seems like you can't go wrong with aem and it seems like you have a lot of confidence in what they make/do so why not just go with them.

i say go gt42r

some questions though: how the hell do you autoX your car(it being such a huge car) and why (cuz little miata's will own you)? why would you want a 700hp autoX car?

you say you're a diy kind of guy are you planning on tuning your own car?
Old 02-11-05, 06:13 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

AEM EMS, no question about it.
Old 02-11-05, 06:20 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PM Supra
AEM has this thing called PLUG AND PLAY. I made 624 rwhp on a AEM with a total stock GE.
Really? I didnt know that Chris lol

Last edited by TurboB6; 02-11-05 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-11-05, 07:14 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Two things....
1. Go with the AEM.
2. Jeff likes to be different.
Old 02-14-05, 03:13 PM
sc300ccret
Driver

Originally Posted by Lex Luthor
Two things....
1. Go with the AEM.
2. Jeff likes to be different.
1.Go with the AEM.
2. Wheels are still round because it simply works. I use an AEM (900+hp), Garth Weaver uses an AEM(1037rwp), Ryan Woon uses an AEM. Dana Westover uses an AEM(8.89sec 1/4). If it ain't broke don't break it. Use an AEM and find a good tuner.

Mike
Old 02-15-05, 10:18 AM
TurboSCLex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies. I am pretty sure I am going to go with the AEM just becuse of price and the fact that pretty much everything else will work as well as expose me to the in/out of high performance tuning. On different note, have any you guys experienced wrong speed readings with a 6 speed swap using the 3.13 diff. At 2300 RPM I am reading a speed of 60 mph and the speed that I calculated is 69 mph. Let me know if there is a speedometer calibrator that will fix this. There are alot of them from doing a google search but I just wanted to know what you guys thought. I figured it was off all the time but I really noticed when I the AVC-R showed me the speed reading in km and then I calculted the mhp value and it was way off. Also the fact that the Supra Instrument cluster goes all the way up to 180 and ours goes only to 160. Let me know ....thanks again.

-Adriel
Old 02-15-05, 10:44 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

The 3.13 (?) differential gear will do that to ya.
Check out http://www.blackrobotics.com/yb_home.htm

~Alan
Old 02-15-05, 10:56 AM
RyanG
Driver

Look into the HKS unit. You can use it as a stand alone or you can piggy back it off of the stock ecu, to help save wiring. You will still be able to adjust timing, fuel, etc. Ken Henderson is running that in his ~1110hp (boost only) Supra. The only draw back is that you have to get it tuned by an HKS Pro dealer, but after that you shouldn't have to worry about anything. Good Luck

Ryan

Quick Reply: What EMS to USE on the New Beast and other Stuff