Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Coolant Reservoir and Heater Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 11:28 AM
MeehSoFly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Reservoir and Heater Problems

My first question is where can i buy a 92 sc400 oem coolant reservoir other than factory which are too expensive. My reservoir seems to be leaking cause of a hairline crack near the sensor. I used jb weld and it doesn't cure it. Another thing is my heater isn't working. blows cold air. figuring its the thermostat. so I bought another thermostat. trying to drain radiator but where is the screw on bottom of radiator? Any pictures or help would be greatly appreciated.

btw....I tried search w/ no good results so...please don't bombard me w/ the search feature.
Also I know this is the wrong place to put this thread but I figured this is the best place since
this is where a lot of sc300/400 enthusiast are.

Thanks, Andy
Old 01-17-05, 11:43 AM
Senator
Lexus Champion

hey man, haven't heard from ya in a while, sorry to hear about your troubles. If it isn't a problem, there are universal kits at O'Reillys, or what I did on my MG was heat up a flat metal rod and melt the plastic back together. its better that JB but you have to be careful. It's kind of like welding. just gauge the heat and surface and hope for the best result. (Not really but you get the picture)

Cold air?? If it happened all of a sudden I would see if your heater core is still good.

Keep me informed bro.,

Josh
Old 01-17-05, 01:38 PM
Lexnorwest
Driver School Candidate

Hot water to your heater is very sensitive to water level in coolant reservoir...1/2 cup - 1 cup low and you won't have heat. Check coolant level before replacing parts..... since you're having a reservoir problem, this is likely the cause.

Second... if coolant level is fine it will likely be you hot water or heater control valve located on firewall..... many threads on this.... you can replace or, depending on your need for short or long term fix, you can swap positions of the 2 vacuum lines on the control valve theryby manually opening the contol valve...... you will want to reverse these two lines agian as you get in to cooling season.... many people do this on a temp basis until they come up with the 280. or so to replace the valve.
Old 01-17-05, 02:09 PM
MeehSoFly
Driver

Thanks guyz for the input. So you guyz think the coolant needs to be full?? All the way to the top?? Doesn't the radiator have pressure and needs some space. I don't want the cap to blow up and coolant everywhere. I'm thinking about trying to mess w/ the heater control valve wires but don't want to disconnect the wrong one. maybe if there is a diy w/ pictures I might want to do that.

p.s......Senator....gyeah buddy...itz winter time here in okc and you know how the weather is here.
I need HEAT!! hehe... I'd be S.O.L. if it freezes or snows.
Old 01-17-05, 02:33 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

They sell those generic overflow tanks on eBay and elsewhere- here's a sample pic. Maybe it is worth a try if you want to save on replacement costs. There is no opening for the sensor, but if you can live without it, it might work for you.
Old 01-17-05, 09:16 PM
MeehSoFly
Driver

Red face

Originally Posted by vredniykot
dont worry about pressure in the radiator, your cap is designed to release the extra fluid in the res. tank
seal up your reservoir and add coolant to the radiator while car is running, dont add it to the reservoir
There is no radiator cap or opening on the radiator on my sc400, the radiator cap is on the coolant reservoir only..but thanks for the input anywayz.
Old 01-18-05, 12:17 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default That's what the Temperature Gauge is for...

Originally Posted by vredniykot
i would not go without coolant sensor, no sir, if he has another coolant leak and runs out of coolant and has no warning light on the dash and keeps driving and siezes the motor plus it will prolly set off check engine light
Tell that to the 1995 owners who are somehow surviving without any sensors in their tanks (as you well know, since you read Ali SC4's post in thread 147486):

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 01-18-05 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-18-05, 01:50 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For 92-95 models Alldata shows 1 part number for production prior to 1/94 and anothe number for after 1/94 so they are different. Hope this helps.