Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 10:08 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Torque converter

In the near future I am hoping to buy a dragon torque converter, the best price I have found is on lexuspros.com, for $749. My only question and concern is how much it will be to install it. Any ideas? Or your own experiences?
Old 01-04-05, 08:17 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by laxdude362
In the near future I am hoping to buy a dragon torque converter, the best price I have found is on lexuspros.com, for $749. My only question and concern is how much it will be to install it. Any ideas? Or your own experiences?
I was quoted 300 dollars (4 hrs of labor).
Old 01-04-05, 04:20 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why dragon? get the lextreme ive driven and auto. supra with one and the lextreme tc i have now is actually better and cheaper ... install is nothing if you can pull it out you can put it back in just make sure u have the oil in it and 300.... rip off a local shop qouted me 90 bucks
Old 01-04-05, 08:13 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

I looked at the lextreme one, so they send you a rebuilt tc and then you send them yours? It sounds like it is good, but will a rebuilt one be just as good as a new one? Also, I have heard and read that the tc can take off up to .5 seconds off your 0-60 time, is this true?

Are there any things I should consider when buying one, like will it affect my car in any negative ways? Thanks
Old 01-04-05, 09:21 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

When I pulled my TC off I didn't have any real problems - the bolts all came out pretty easily. The only problem I came across was lining it up properly when putting it back on. It took forever to twist it back and forth to slide it back on. We actually thought it was on as far is it could go until we re-attached the trannyback to the motor and then the crank wouldn't turn.

So just make sure it is slipped all the way in before you start putting **** back together.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 01-05-05, 05:10 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

you send david yours he rebuilds it and sets the stall rpm ... i just got to really test mine out today and it was amazing really really helped i would recommend this to everyone
Old 01-05-05, 09:44 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

How long does it take for you to get your tc back? Including shipping time, I can't have my car not driveable for too long. Have u timed your 0-60 time? Like what it was b4 and after. What did you get your stall speed set to?
Old 01-05-05, 11:41 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

If you get the Lextreme TC he will send you a rebuilt one and charge you $75 for a core charge. You get the core charge back when you return your old one. No down time for waiting.
Old 01-08-05, 10:16 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Definately interested in this, as I know it can help...

so it came up as 259, i guess add shipping and the 90-200 install?
Old 01-09-05, 02:33 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

So is this just as good as doing the dragon one from lexus pros? Does he build them all to a set stall speed or do you tell him what u want?
Old 01-09-05, 02:37 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by laxdude362
So is this just as good as doing the dragon one from lexus pros? Does he build them all to a set stall speed or do you tell him what u want?
I can't imagine it being much different, they are both built to the vehicle spec, and they both merely change stall speeds. Whether or not the materials are different is another story, but how can you go wrong rebuilding the OEM one?

My car has 146k on it, I hear a big clunking going into gear sometimes while the TQ is going in, I'm sure it has some wear and I'd justify $500 getting the high staill installed... if i got performance gains as well.
Old 01-09-05, 04:12 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

i would definatly say that the lextreme tc is just as good if not better than the dragon and for much less of a price he will set the stall speed at 2800 but you can have it set at anything you want i think for a small additional price but mine is set at 2800 which is good for all around and on a turbo car wow it really really helps ill clock my 0-60 for you when i get a chance ....
Old 01-09-05, 04:25 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

Wonder the gains on a NA SC400..
Old 01-10-05, 11:08 PM
sourcemine
Lead Lap

I gave in a purchased it after reading this thread and talking to him, having it installed on my SC400... should have it installed in the next week or two.
Old 01-10-05, 11:35 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

I see a lot of people here saying the lextreme tc is equal and better to the PI TC. I would have to disagree. The PI TC is a specifiically designed unit.. They are designed to handle the extra stress that results from harder launches and the greater torque applied. The stock toyota tc was not designed for this. The unit was designed for a ~1800 stall and the stresses applied at that stall.

There hasn't been much of a detailed history of the lextreme TC. To be honest, I have no idea how it handles in the long run. However, precision industries has had a great following and a good reputation in the auto industry.

I have had the PI TC for almost 2 years now and I have no problems with it. I've driven it hard at the track and have yet to have any problems with it. Alot of top shops recommend it (SRT, RMM). Now I have never met anyone from RMM, but I have met the people over at SRT. They are not the type of people to rip off their customers. They find their customers the best product

Is a Kia with Lexus badges just as a good as a lexus? Is a tuned KIA with a 1uzfe just as good as a sc400? Just remember, you get what you pay for.

http://www.converter.com/comparison/page3.htm

P.S I also forgot to include that the PI TC includes a 2 year warranty and free increase in stall if the customer decides his stall speed is too low.

Last edited by verylost; 01-10-05 at 11:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Torque converter