Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I'm thinkin' it's about mod time!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 05:58 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I'm thinkin' it's about mod time!!!

Ok,.. the HP bug is biting me... so I'm trying to map out my next performance enhancement. To date I've already done the following:

Rim / Tires
Bushings ( control arm / sway bar )
Tokico Illumina shox / springs 2.25" drop
sound system
Piaa lights/fogs/interior

now,... it's time to make the coupe a lil' faster:

I'm thinkin',... BFI, some kinda custom exhaust, SAFC II, and that should give me a good jump in performance. Any suggestions, additions, or deletions??? NO NOS!
Old 01-03-05, 06:41 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you've said you were going to get a turbo kit, the bfi and exhaust seems like a waste of effort and money since you will be redoing them later. The safc can be used later, but only worthwhile if you can tune it yourself. Otherwise, it seems like a waste of money to get it dyno tuned.
Old 01-03-05, 06:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

How about a high stall torque converter? BIG jump off the line.

What's the OEM gearing like on the SC400?
Old 01-03-05, 10:57 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

yeah, i had the thought of it being a waste due to me wanting to turbo it... I think I just got the itch to spend money....

as for the gearing on a SC400,... jbrady could probably chime in on that one... I have thought about a TC... haven't ever experienced a car with an aftermarket, so i guess I'm leary.... I've had all of the listed mods on a 300Z and can actually say they made a tremendous difference, hence my thinkin' I want to try them on this car.

With the turbo set up,.. I'm waiting for the single kit to come to fruition, and for it to be tested and tuned, so when I put it on, it's not an experiment that becomes a money pit.
Old 01-04-05, 12:44 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Yo Greg, you have a 400 so I don't know how many of these mods would be useful to you. I too had planned on going turbo on my 300 but now I've decided against it unless I get an entirely new engine because right now I have 190k and counting on the odo. But this is what I have planned in the future to up the ponies on my whip...I need a little more hp over here in south central LA!!

XERD headers, Dragon TC, Custom exhaust upgrade with piping, A'pexi SAFC II, dual electric fans, any maybe a BFI...I say maybe because here in Cali the emission laws are strict and I read somewhere the BFI might cause an issue...I'll have to read up on it further though, plus I already have the Injen intake on my car so...I figure after all that crap and money I should have hopefully added at least 25-30hp. Hopefully. All I really need is to be closer to 300hp, my superior driving skills will make up for any lack of hp I may have when traveling around LA...
Old 01-04-05, 04:01 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

I'm at 179K on my motor, but I take care of it, and have not had a problem with it yet.... and the guy chrisman, or who ever has done the turbo up in chicago has like 120K or 160K, can't remember,... and isn't having issues ( yet ). I'm not lookin' to do a super high boost set up, I'd like to do 7 - 10 psi,... I think that'd make me happy considering on an older model SC400, he's doing 370 rwhp at like 5psi or so.

Who knows,... I might mess around and buy another car,.... the NSX bug has been biting... somehow, I like the SC400 all around better, but think the NSX is sexier and more exotic looking. But therein lies the same problem,... an NSX will get smoked by most everything out there.... and I don't like loosin'.....277hp is hardly impressive, and the S/C and turbo kits are far between and expensive for that car.

Another mod that can help IF you can find it, is the Apex ITC... it adjusts timing just like the SAFC adjusts Air/Fuel... the combination properly tuned can really help hp / tq numbers.
Old 01-04-05, 04:17 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its time for a lextreme torque converter much cheaper than all the others and a very good one, daivd is a great guy and as for customer service all i have to say is ..... wow! one of the best mods ive done ... besides the turbo kit heh
Old 01-05-05, 03:36 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NAZTY97
he's doing 370 rwhp at like 5psi or so.
Yeah, see...I don't even need that much. I'm telling you man, if I had 300hp I'd be good to go. That's all I need around LA. I don't do straight line racing, but I do get involved in agressive street driving where I need to be able to launch quickly off the line and also handle/brake extremely well. Most of the suckas I run up against aren't in highly modded cars, they're cars that are quick straight from the factory (Mustangs, Porches, M3's, AMG Benz's, etc.) I never have issues with riced out civics and things like that, here in LA it's these idiots in SUV's that I need to outdrive and get away from. These people (women on cell phones mostly) drive SUV's like they're Lambo's or something, it's ridiculous. Changing lanes at the last minute without signaling, braking for absolutely no reason to read something on the side of the road, pulling out without looking, just general bad driving with no thought to other drivers around them. I could solve 75% of those problems that I experience by adding a little hp. Not a lot, just a little. If I can get my car up to perhaps 300-340rwhp I'd be more than satisfied.

Just the other day I had an idiot woman driver in an Expedition pull out in front of me out of nowhere...I had to brake harder than I wanted to just to avoid hitting her. She looks over and sees me and then slowly continues to pull out (she's coming from the other side of traffic, holding up that side of traffic and inching into my lane ever so slowly). I notice she has a cell phone attached to her head. I move to the right to get in the other lane so I can actually see what's ahead of me because I couldn't see around her huge truck. As I move over and start to pass her she all of a sudden floors it and blasts past me almost clipping my left fender, again I had to brake for her. She pulls over in front of me in the right lane and then out of nowhere (remember she cut across in front of me) she slams on her brakes to let out passenger. Not a slow gradual braking like a rational person. She stood on the brakes and stopped about 18 inches in front of me. I couldn't believe it. As I went around her (again) she did everything in her power NOT to look in my direction even though I pulled up square with her driver's side window and just stopped for like 20 seconds. She never looked over, even her passenger was gesturing like, "I think you really pissed off the guy next to you" but she refused to even look straight ahead, let alone to her immediate left. A little more hp and that wouldn't have happened, guaranteed.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 01-05-05 at 03:44 PM.