Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What parts are need auto > 5 speed swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-04, 09:50 AM
J J
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What parts are need auto > 5 speed swap?

Is there a write up on this somewhere? Anything besides the obviuos 5 speed parts thats needed? Drive shaft? Ecu? How hard are these parts to source?

I haven't decided if I should keep on looking for a clean 5sp or get a mint auto and convert it
Old 12-29-04, 04:54 PM
convoy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope to do the swap as well, if anyone knows of a write up of some sort or useful info please let us know
Old 12-30-04, 03:12 PM
Xutech
Driver School Candidate

i probably dont think i will cover everything but you will need
Driveshaft
5spd tranny w/ abracket shifter etc
(modification to sub tunnel)
Modification to auto harness)
5spd Ecu (optional i have driven on a auto before wiht 5spd)
clutch slave
clutch petal
ACutal clutch
manual brake petal (auto works but u might hit it when u hit the clutch )
i believe it was the right axle but might be left. to space wheels out right
you will also need a rear diffrential and the gears for the lsd.
....i think thats about it hope it helped
-Jason
(Xutech on SF)
Old 01-01-05, 04:09 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

I did my auto -> man swap a while ago and it was pretty simple. The hardest part was getting the auto out with all of the fluid lines and what not. I have a JZZ30 so it might be a bit different though. The gearing should be pretty close to the same or close enough that you wont notice. You definitly need a new driveshaft, brake pedal, clutch pedal and bracket. Buy new Clutch Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder and save yourself a headache. Dont forget the line to go between the two also. Depending on the trans you get you may have to cut a small hole in the tunnel to get the shifter, but its already stamped into the metal where it needs to be. Dont forget clutch and pressure plate, throwout bearing, -pilot bearing-(very important), and a new trans mount. You can get around getting a new ECU by splicing together the two wires for neutral start, and then just wire in the reverse lights.
Old 01-01-05, 01:07 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bean_8044
I did my auto -> man swap a while ago and it was pretty simple. The hardest part was getting the auto out with all of the fluid lines and what not. I have a JZZ30 so it might be a bit different though. The gearing should be pretty close to the same or close enough that you wont notice. You definitly need a new driveshaft, brake pedal, clutch pedal and bracket. Buy new Clutch Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder and save yourself a headache. Dont forget the line to go between the two also. Depending on the trans you get you may have to cut a small hole in the tunnel to get the shifter, but its already stamped into the metal where it needs to be. Dont forget clutch and pressure plate, throwout bearing, -pilot bearing-(very important), and a new trans mount. You can get around getting a new ECU by splicing together the two wires for neutral start, and then just wire in the reverse lights.
Which trans did you use soarer or supra?
Old 01-01-05, 01:44 PM
bean_8044
Rookie

Pretty sure it was a Soarer. I can look up the part number tonight on the Toyota EPC though to be sure
Old 01-01-05, 02:09 PM
Mr. SC300
Pole Position

you would have to change the cluster right?
Old 01-02-05, 12:08 AM
convoy
Pole Position

will an n/a MKIII clutch and brake pedal work on a SC manual conversion? also, will the W58 trans from the MKIII fit on our cars?
Old 01-02-05, 12:40 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

why not just buy my '93 5spd? =)
Old 01-02-05, 01:56 AM
convoy
Pole Position

=lives in hawaii

converting to a manual is the only option that i have.. those with a 5 spd ( i think like 3 ppl) aren't gonna part with their cars for a looong time.
Old 01-02-05, 04:48 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

By changing the cluster do you mean the instrument cluster? I have the digital dash and didnt need to do anything to it. The gear selections dont even light up unless i put it into reverse. When you wire it up, you have to bridge two wires to get it to start so the car will think its in Neutral since there wont be a trans or gear selector switch attached to it anymore. Since it wont be in any gear, the lights dont come on unless i put it into reverse, and then it displays reverse. When i take it out of reverse, the letters stay lit, but not box around them. Dont know why it is, but thats just how it is.
Im definitly sure that the supra pedals wont fit in the Soarer also. Im having some problems with my EPC disks so i cant look up some of the stuff...
Old 01-02-05, 09:50 PM
convoy
Pole Position

thanks for your uselful info bean, and everyone else
Old 01-03-05, 12:34 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bean_8044
By changing the cluster do you mean the instrument cluster? I have the digital dash and didnt need to do anything to it. ...
Yea, Soarer's were offered with the digital gauges. In the US we had analog gauges (much better looking imo) I hate my digital cluster....loooks too 80's. But, like bean said, the cluster can stay when doing 5spd.
Old 01-03-05, 03:31 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

That reminds me; make sure you get a trans with a good speed sensor/sendor.
Old 01-03-05, 09:23 AM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

We started to convert my car to manual yesterday. We have everything done except the actual tranny in. I'm doing a getrag swap so it involves a little more.

Go to the auto to 6 speed conversion on MKIV.com and it tells you exactly what to do. It's in a MKIV, but most everything is identical.