Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

bolt pattern on 1UZ and R154 bellhousing (SC400 auto to 5speed project)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 07:18 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bolt pattern on 1UZ and R154 bellhousing (SC400 auto to 5speed project)

Parts needed for sure
CRD bellhousing, (This is a custom unit)
CRD flywheel, (This is a custom unit) (MKIII flywheel can be used but needs to be redrilled)
CRD ring gear (This is a take-off from SC400 shrunk to fit an turbo MKIII flywheel)
CRD supllied clutch, (this is from a turbo MKIII)
CRD supplied pressure plate, (this is from a turbo MKIII)
CRD supplied Spigot Bush (this is from a turbo MKIII)
CRD supplied Throw Out bearing (this is from a turbo MKIII)
CRD supplied slave cylinder & push rod (this is from a turbo MKIII)
CRD supplied Slave cylinder and bolts (this is from a turbo MKIII)
CRD supplied realease bearing (this is from a turbo MKIII)
CRD supplied pivot ball (this is from a turbo MKIII)
CRD supplied (6) M12 x 1.25P x 50 long original Toyota bolts -bellhousing to motor (OEM)
CRD supplied (3) M10 x 1.25P x 45 long original Toyotal Bolts - Bellhousing to motor (OEM)
CRD MKIII turbo slave cylinder (this is from a turbo MKIII)
*R154 transmission from soarer TT (this can be from a turbo MKIII)
*MKIV soarer TT tailshaft (this is from a late model MKIV
pilot bearing (from a turbo MKIII)
Flywheel flex plate bolts (8) M10 x 1.25 pitch x 26 long High Tensile Bolts. (OEM)
$83.05 SC300 clutch pedal 58804-24030-03
$47.97 SC300 clutch pedal box sub assembly 47101-24060
SC300 brake pedal
$45.44 SC300 brake pedal box sub assembly 31301-24050
$2.32 SC300 clutch pedal pad 31321-14020
$2.32 SC300 brake pedal pad 31321-14020
SC300 shifter boot
SC300 shift ****
SC300 shifter trim bezel (specify with or without heated seat)
$71.04 supra 6speed master cylinder 31410-14310
SC300 hardline for master cyl
MKIII turbo hardline for slave cyl
$295 custom made race clutch bearing.

Left over parts
*MKIII turbo tailshaft with shifter
*MKIII turbo transmission mount
*MKIII turbo rear cross member
*soarer TT transmission mount
*soarer TT rear cross member
*soarer TT 2 piece driveshaft
*MKIII turbo 2 piece driveshaft
A340E SC400 transmission
*soarer TT clutch fork
SC400 shifter bezel with heated seat controls
SC400 shifter
SC400 rear cross member
SC400 transmisison mount
SC400 shifter assembly
SC400 brake pedal
SC400 brake pedal box
CRD supplied clutch fork (this is from a turbo MKIII)

*bought together for $875 shipped
All items marked CRD cost $1150 shipped (exchange rate 1.26AU$/us$)
Installation is $1500 + $150 for towing
Custom machining $200 (had to get bellhousing ground down a little bit)
Custom clutch bearing $300

Once the whole thing's been put together I'll refine the list to only the items you need so you don't end up with 3 driveshafts like me I bought everything that I needed as I found them. You should be able to find it cheaper. You should be able to get all the parts less than $2000 shipped when you are done.

Last edited by VSsc400; 04-21-06 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 09:48 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VSsc400
which bellhousing fits the 1UZ?

If I wanted to mate a 1UZ to 7M's R154 from MKIII then I would need a bellhousing from a 1JZ's F154 right?

yes sir. You would need the R154 bell housing. Not easy to find.
Old 12-28-04, 11:41 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

the bellhousing on the R154 from a MKIII is different from the bellhousing on the R154 from a 1JZ right?

I would need the bellhousing from the R154 off of a 1JZ correct?

another words; the bellhousing from the R154 from a MKIII will not bolt up to a 1UZ?

thanks

Last edited by VSsc400; 12-28-04 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-28-04, 12:57 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

the bellhousing on the R154 from a MKIII is different from the bellhousing on the R154 from a 1JZ right?

I would need the bellhousing from the R154 off of a 1JZ correct?

another words; the bellhousing from the R154 from a MKIII will not bolt up to a 1UZ?

thanks

All the cars that were equipped with 1JZs (soarer, chaser, MKIII...etc...) all had R154 trannies. As for the bolt pattern, I am not sure on that. I do not think they are even compatible come to think of it even with a different bellhousing. If the 2JZGE and the 1UZ have compatible bolt patterns then it will match a R154. If not, then it won't work.

I know if you check out www.i-supra.com or SF, they have a bolt distribution pattern for the trannies and the R154. You can also try www.************ for more info. I will keep an eye out for you just in case. I hope this helps for now.

Last edited by kaotiq; 12-28-04 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 01:36 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

SC400 + Manual transmission =

Make it happen
Old 12-28-04, 02:50 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kaotiq
All the cars that were equipped with 1JZs (soarer, chaser, MKIII...etc...) all had R154 trannies. As for the bolt pattern, I am not sure on that. I do not think they are even compatible come to think of it even with a different bellhousing. If the 2JZGE and the 1UZ have compatible bolt patterns then it will match a R154. If not, then it won't work.

I know if you check out www.i-supra.com or SF, they have a bolt distribution pattern for the trannies and the R154. You can also try www.************ for more info. I will keep an eye out for you just in case. I hope this helps for now.
R154 from MKIII bolts up to 2JZ when equipped with 1JZ's R154 bellhousing
1JZ's R154 is same bellhousing as the rodman's bellhousing
rodman's bellhousing bolts up the R154 to to 1UZ
therefore
1JZ's R154 bolts right up to 1UZ

just wanted to confirm those facts.
Old 12-28-04, 05:15 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

R154 from MKIII bolts up to 2JZ when equipped with 1JZ's R154 bellhousing
1JZ's R154 is same bellhousing as the rodman's bellhousing
rodman's bellhousing bolts up the R154 to to 1UZ
therefore
1JZ's R154 bolts right up to 1UZ

just wanted to confirm those facts.
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice i would love to see this project happen.
Old 12-28-04, 06:38 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bellhousing will be good if youre right but the shifter location will be off. the mkiii shifter is on top of the tranny and will end up in your radio while the soarer shifter arm is longer locating the shifter in the right place. Good luck with the project. Id love to see it happen
Old 12-28-04, 08:15 PM
octane103
Pole Position

Default just curious.......

who is rodman?

i looked into doing a r154 swap on the 1uz a while back, but then, there was nobody in the U.S. that made the necessary parts to make i happen. the only thing i could find was a couple shops in austrailia that made complete bellhousing swap kits for the r154 to mount up to the 1uz, but getting a hold of them was kind of hard for me back then.

it's kind of hard to believe that the r154 bolts up to a 1uz using a 1jz bellhousing. if it does, then would'nt more people have done that conversion already?

is there a kit avialiable here in he U.S.?
Old 12-28-04, 09:03 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by octane103
who is rodman?

i looked into doing a r154 swap on the 1uz a while back, but then, there was nobody in the U.S. that made the necessary parts to make i happen. the only thing i could find was a couple shops in austrailia that made complete bellhousing swap kits for the r154 to mount up to the 1uz, but getting a hold of them was kind of hard for me back then.

it's kind of hard to believe that the r154 bolts up to a 1uz using a 1jz bellhousing. if it does, then would'nt more people have done that conversion already?

is there a kit avialiable here in he U.S.?

rodman is the guy in australia that makes the the bellhousing (not the dellows guy)

how many 1UZ owners have ever seen the 1JZ bellhousing?
how many people who've ever seen the 1JZ bellhousing ever tried to mate it up to the 1uz?
I'd venture to say very few and those who have a 1JZ bellhousing are trying a MKIII 1JZ swap and don't really care for the 1UZ.
as I find more information I'll post up.

rodman ships to US all the time from what I understand. @ $410 AUD it's sure cheaper than anything we can find here.
Old 12-28-04, 09:04 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rscott
bellhousing will be good if youre right but the shifter location will be off. the mkiii shifter is on top of the tranny and will end up in your radio while the soarer shifter arm is longer locating the shifter in the right place. Good luck with the project. Id love to see it happen
would I have to use a soarer shifter arm or can i get away using an SC300 shifter arm?

from what I gather W58 shifter arm and R154 shifter arms bolt up the same location.
Old 12-29-04, 12:39 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

Shifters depend on the year of Soarer MT. Early model(91-94?) R154 soarers had a dog-leg shifter and the later ones had a straight shifter because the shifting links and what not were extended a few inches back. The transmissions are the same between the years, just the shifting mechanism is different. You might be able to use the W58 shifter on the R154, but thats only if you get the newer R154, which never came to the US.
Old 12-29-04, 06:30 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bean_8044
Shifters depend on the year of Soarer MT. Early model(91-94?) R154 soarers had a dog-leg shifter and the later ones had a straight shifter because the shifting links and what not were extended a few inches back. The transmissions are the same between the years, just the shifting mechanism is different. You might be able to use the W58 shifter on the R154, but thats only if you get the newer R154, which never came to the US.

From what I'm reading and information i've gathered it says that the W58 shifter will work on any year R154. Even on the 88-92 MKIII R154 manual trannyes and the W58, the shifters are interchangeable....

let me know if I am mistaken.
Old 12-29-04, 10:27 AM
octane103
Pole Position

Default .

VSsc400, is rodman the same as CRS?

do you live here in the U.S.?

well here is some info that may be useful to you. i have a sc400 that i tried to source the parts for to do the 5spd swap, but i was having trouble getting ahold of CRS so i just did the whole 1jz motor and tranny conversion. after i was about halfway complete, i realized for less than the trouble i should have persued the 1uz 5spd project.

however, what i did find is that my motor swap came from a supra so the shifter location ended up underneath the radio location (as mentioned by rscott). i happened to have three R154 trannies and some pics of a W58 at the same time so i could do a little comparo and come up with the best combination.

i had also ordered brand new shift linkage from a sc300 (which here in the U.S. came with the W58) only to find out i just wasted my money because the W58 shift linkage does not fit the R154. the bolt holes are completely different.

the supra R154 and the soarer R154 trannies are the same except for the shift linkage. the shift linkage on the soarer extends back a little bit over the driveshaft bung. the supra shift linkage stops before the driveshaft bung (maybe 2" shorter). since the soarer R154 is not as easy to find as the supra R154, you can use the supra R154 and just buy the shift linkage and shifter(for soarer) from any toyota dealer in japan.

you will have to cut a hole out where the shifter location comes through the car. at first the shifter location looked like it was still gonna be too short, and it was until i used the soarer shifter which bends back a bit more so the shiftknob ends up right where it is supposed to be.

so in conclusion is seems that the best combination is the soarer R154 with the soarer shifter. this is the longest bellhousing to shifter distance.

the only concern you may have then is where the back of the engine sits in the car. if the 1uz is shorter, or a little more forward in the engine bay, that will cause your shifter loctaion to still be a little short.

if the engine sits back more, that will be better, because you can use the supra shift linkage or shifter to bring the shiftknob location a little more forward.

hope this helps.

if you need any pics or measurements from bellhousings, trannies, or shift linkages let me know. i can send some to you.
Old 12-29-04, 11:18 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

yes rodman is CRS
I am having a hard time getting a hold of CRS also but miles B in NZ did a bulk buy on the R154 kit. so I can just as easily get it from him or i'll just call rodman at 3am NY time.
Yes I am in New York

thank you for the information on the shifter linkage. I will keep that in mind.
do you have a contact where I can order the shifter linkage for the soarer? If you have that information please pass it on to me.

I didn't think you were able to mate the Soarer R154 bellhousing to the 1UZ?

I was going to use the R154 from MKIII supra turbo
CRS bellhousing (30mm longer than MKIII bellhousing)
soarer shifter linkage/shifter/****
SC300 bezel/trim/boot
MKIII turbo pedals/master cyl/slavecyl
MKIV turbo pressure lines
MKIV N/A rear end
MR2 flywheel/pressure plate/clutchpack (yes supposedly this works)
i think I've got the electronics figured out as well. (it involves ford probe part yikes!)
As for the engine distance I think it's nearly identical to the MKIV (I think you can even use a shifter linkage for MKIV manual 5speed W58) the W58's shifter linkage also came in 4 different lengths
worst case I can use a dog legged shifter (i.e. old school shelby cobra looking one with the bend at the bottom) to make the shifter come into place correctly. The manual swapped autos usually have the shifter sitting a little too low anyways)

once the time comes I'll be sure to ask you for those information.
thank you

let me know if you see any further flaws with this plan

by the way my car is just about sold. I took a deposit for it yesterday.
this is for my friend's car

Quick Reply: bolt pattern on 1UZ and R154 bellhousing (SC400 auto to 5speed project)