Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

update on turboing my sc: need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-04, 05:46 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on turboing my sc: need some help

alright well its been awhile since ive let you guys in on how my project is going so heres everything

i ended up selling my jdm motor and bought a used 2jzge with only 50k on it . i got a pretty good deal for it paid 1123 for the engine and transmission
then i bought the turbonetics NA-T kit along with a few other things like a lextreme torque converter and apexi turbo timer and avcr. well i got the engine swapped and the turbo kit on fine , its a great kit by the way comes with absolutly everything you need, then i went to fire the engine and it ran great except my check engine light came on so i scanned it and it came up mass air flow sensor which is fine because i know its working great and the car is running good then after i revved it a little and everything sounds great the check engine light came on again and this time it said cam positioning sensor so i revved once more and once coming down off of WOT it choked out and cut off so im kind of stuck there and im not exactly sure where to go from there ..... any suggestions im in need of some wisdom here
and thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far espcially david phan from lextreme, david penton and titan motorsports
Old 12-25-04, 09:37 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

oh and i forgot when i cranked i was running open exhaust from the down pipe because they sent me the wrong one and it wont bolt up to my stock exhaust so could this be the reason it was throwing the 1st code beause its not reaching the sensors on my cats? my car is obd2 .... any thoughts? and also since the cam positioning sensor is right at the distributor maybe should i try swapping distributors with my old engine to see if that solves the problem?? im in deffinate need of some help my car has been down since last tuesday and i need it back

thanks guys
Old 12-26-04, 06:12 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

come on some one has to be able to give me some kind of advice .............
Old 12-27-04, 04:59 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're on the right track with the dp, install it and make sure you're reading from your O2 sensors properly, not sure if you're using a sim/spliced O2 leads or not but OBDII is very sensitive to exhaust gas oxygen readings among other things. As for your MAF, long as it's equating the proper voltage signal for the amount of air coming in, you should not be gettting a code...it's possible you're bringing in air that the meter is not measuring or air that's been measured is escaping...not sure if you're running standalone or piggyback, clamping the voltage, etc...need more details. As for the CPS, well....it's either working or it's not, I suspect it is since otherwise the ECU would have no reference for cam position, but I don't know if you've used one that's different from your oe or not. Too bad no one would help you, but the bulk of the experienced guys are now gone from this forum (Clint Pohler, Scott Hureau, Brian Ng, Cory McDonald, Ethan Banks, Jeff Hackman, Steven Reed, Gadget, Scott T51R, Todd Matsubara, etc.).....it's up to a new generation of CL members to jump in and experiment, then help out others who need it. Good luck getting it sorted, LMK if I can help further.

- Jon
Old 12-27-04, 06:33 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the reply lex i think ive got the cps figured out but im not completely sure. as for my maf i i took a multi meter to all the wires running to it and it all seemed fine im not sure if the maf itself is bad or not im going to try swapping in another maf tomorow if i get a chance and just play around with it hopefully ill get it working

but thanks again for the wisdom ill let you know if i run into anything else