Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

If you had 5 grand to spend...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-04, 11:49 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you had 5 grand to spend...

My car is basically stock (just espelirs and safcII) and just wondering what route I should take if I had $5000 =). Would you go straight into getting the turbo kit or build up you car first to handle the turbo. Im looking to want to make around 325 rwhp so I wouldn't think I would need a crazy fuel management system (unless I am wrong). But would you guys go ahead and just get the lexus turboed or upgrade brakes, suspension, new wheels, transmission, etc... I am kind of stuck on what I want to do so I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Old 12-24-04, 12:05 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Who wouldn't want a speeding missle with no brakes and ability to steer and handle? Sounds like a GREAT plan! Do it!

ps- do you live near the salt flats?
Old 12-24-04, 12:16 AM
mrcrx28
Driver

Thats true, i say brakes is a BIG thing esp. when hitting speeds of 120+. Also good suspension is a key factor. i see your from Illinios, which part if you dont mind me asking.
Old 12-24-04, 12:19 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

so brakes, suspension, lsd, tranny upgrades first huh... Thats what I was leening torwards since that is the more logical answer but I can't stop thinkinking about that darn turbo. Doing the brakes, suspension etc will delay my turbo to next year, which sucks... Any suguestion on the the first thing I should buy?

Where are the salt flats??
Old 12-24-04, 12:21 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Dang I guess we all just posting one after another should just instant message each other lol... I am from Niles...by skokie, evanston area. So you guys would all go with brakes and then wait a year for the turbo.....
Old 12-24-04, 12:23 AM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well.. go for turbo....just accelerate fast but dont hit a high top speed....
Old 12-24-04, 12:32 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

yes there's someone for turbo first. I just realized, I do upgrade my brakes first, you guyz mean the big brake setup from the supra rite? I would need to get new rims and there goes the whole 5 grand...
Old 12-24-04, 12:38 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I would get a basic tune up first and fix any potential problems.
Old 12-24-04, 12:45 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

It really depends what you're going to do with your car. If you plan on roadracing or auto-x ing, then yea, get better brakes. If you are just planning on drag racing and highway pulls, you really don't need to do anything with brakes. My previous car was making 600+ whp with stock 10 inch single piston brakes and doing 130+ trap speeds in the 1/4 mile. Just something to think about. The suspension isn't horrible on these cars; you could go turbo if you just want power for now and work on the rest later.
Old 12-24-04, 12:48 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would definitely go to turbo route but make sure internals are ok and do a head job.
Old 12-24-04, 05:50 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the cash right now for the turbo kit, get it. Then you can slowly piece together everything else as you get the money.
Old 12-24-04, 05:56 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Who wouldn't want a speeding missle with no brakes and ability to steer and handle? Sounds like a GREAT plan! Do it!

ps- do you live near the salt flats?
i am with olt on this one .. remember the pirelli ads "power is NOTHING without control"
Old 12-24-04, 07:01 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

well as for the tune up, my car has only 79K miles, kind of hard to believe but I bought it in april when it had only 66k miles...I guess I drove the crap out of this car back and forth from chicago to detroit or chicago to purdue...so sad, everything runs fine except for a sqealing/screaching from the engine sometiimes when it idles high or shifting from 1st to second...is it the belt?

Back to the turbo, I do want to autocross but it isn;t going to be on a regular basis. I've been autocrossing only once when my car was completely stock and man does this car feel like a boat (sorry if i offend anyone lol..so I got springs rite after). Well that's why I'm only looking for 325 or so RWHP. Is a brake upgrade that important when you're boosting that little?

Basically, I want the power for those...you know "rare" occassions when you have that urge to go fast =)
Old 12-24-04, 08:20 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

I believe you can get a turbo kit + brakes and suspension and wheels for about 5 grand if you look hard enough for good deals and do your own work. I mean you already have espillars are those lowered on stock shocks? If they are on stock shocks then you can pick up a set of a tokico hp for 200ish new to complete the suspension if your not looking to spend alot or you can pick up a set of tein basics for 650ish. The you can opt to get used ls400 4 pistion calipers and supra tt wheels. all that could cost you around a G if you find good deals.

tokico hp 200 or tein basics 650
ls400 front calipers w/ good brake pads 220
new front xdrilled ls400 rotors 100
supra tt wheels 300-600 w/tires(800-1000 if you want polished)

I picked up the tein basics for 641 shipped
ls400 calipers for 170 shipped
new pads for 50 shipped
new xdrilled rotors for 100 shipped
supra tt chrome wheels w/ good tires for 300 but they're curbed. I don't really care as long as they're not bent.

so i spend under 1300 and i got teins and big brakes and rims and i did all the installs myself. it would probably be harder for you to find these deals as I constantly browsed supra forums and cl classifieds and ebay looking for deals. I'm not all too much about looks so I wouldnt spend 2+ grand on rims or a kit until my car was fast enough for my tastes.

I'm not sure how cheap people turbo thier cars for but i beleive its in the range of 4-5k. I dont know if you want a used kit but i see alot of people selling used kits on supra forums. But either way you can probably get a new kit with some used miscillanous parts(like IC piping ect ect) that you may need to peice it together and it maybe cost you under 4 grand if you find good deals.

In my opinion if its gonna be your daily driver then I'd say get the wheel suspension and brakes first. I mean cut corners like me if you have to, to save money, then you'll still have money left for a turbo. Im perfectly happy with the way my car drives and handles right now as a daily driver except for the fact that I get toasted by m3's and such and such. But other than that the upgrades were well worth it, I can keep up with alot of the fast cars on the highway and still feel safe. I can honestly say the suspension wheels and brakes may have saved my life a few times or at least my car from getting banged up with the way i drive. I rather have a car that can handle well and be safe on the streets than a fast car that puts your life in danger. I'd be really scared to step on it with 300+ hp making the corners on the highway if my suspension wheels and brakes were stock. Thats just something you should consider.
Old 12-24-04, 08:43 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

how hard is it to upgrade to the ls400 brakes?

Quick Reply: If you had 5 grand to spend...