Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car Wont Start !!??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-04, 12:29 AM
edgesc01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wont Start !!??

So I have a new battery, checked the Main fuse and actually removed, checked and plugged every fuse back in. All seems ok but this is whats happening:
I get dome light, door lights, and headlights work but nothing more.
It's like the key is not recognized or something. No radio, no power seats, no auto-tilting. If i turn the key to ACC nothing happens and definitely nothing when I try to crank. No clicking, nada.
I've found a similar thread and tried every suggestion but still no go.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=key+work

Anything else I can try ..... Thanks
Old 12-22-04, 12:37 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably starter completely dead.........
Old 12-22-04, 01:08 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

if you followed my post #9 and did it correctly, i'd say buy a new starter. you'll know in an hour if it is locked down when your battery is dead again. Either way, it is probably still toast.
Old 12-22-04, 09:17 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Wish I could help but I haven't run into such a problem before.
Did you check the fuses in your footwell also?
I know most of the important fuses are under the hood, but there are a few in the footwell.

Good luck.

~Alan
Old 12-22-04, 09:55 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd say starter like everyone else but if NOTHING is turning on (radio, gauges, etc) then I'd point to the ignition switch. The car is acting as if there was no key in the ignition.

Try checking for power at the switch. If it's there, then the switch is bad. If not, check the fusible links under the hood. The THICK fuses that are like little bricks. Not the blade ones.

Good luck!
Old 12-22-04, 07:57 PM
skoldfc3s
Driver School Candidate

it sounds liek a immozilizer problem, you can turn the key all the way right, and what year is your car, (im a lexus ttech shhhhh)
Old 12-22-04, 08:05 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Starter contacts, search search search
Old 12-22-04, 08:45 PM
skoldfc3s
Driver School Candidate

what model you got how many miles on it, i havent herd of any starter contacts having problems, starters yeah, but your not getting radio either right, i would guess a short in the starter, but make sure your key isnt messed up, does the lights dimm, can you cat leat get the car to crank>
Old 12-23-04, 01:17 AM
edgesc01
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately I wont really be able to work on it until this wkd due to work.
I too am thinking ignition switch, mainly cause i dont get anything when the key is inserted. No radio, no gauges, no tilting of the steering wheel.
Its a 97 sc300 with 110k. As far as the key itself, I only have 1 and its not the remote keyless one. It is the master as its the one ive been using all this time.
Again thanks for all your help.
Old 12-23-04, 01:18 AM
edgesc01
Driver School Candidate

and yes I can turn the key all the way to the right. But nothing happens, no sounds, no click of anything and definitely no crank.
Old 12-23-04, 01:33 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by edgesc01
and yes I can turn the key all the way to the right. But nothing happens, no sounds, no click of anything and definitely no crank.

FYI, this is the same thing that can happen if you blow an ignition fuse. They should be under the hood and be very large. check the contacts on them and make sure they mate well.
Old 12-23-04, 07:26 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ooh if you have no radio and no cliking when you turn the key, then it has nothing to do with the starter. Chek the battery, especailly the negative battery terminal.

And skoldfc3s, yes the starter contacts are a problem, believe me, it has happened to me and many other people.
Old 12-23-04, 07:32 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

Ooh if you have no radio and no cliking when you turn the key, then it has nothing to do with the starter.
just to be clear, if the starter is locked, it will drop below the voltage needed to turn stuff like that on. the load would be very heavy amperage if it is locked down. it would not be the starter if there were no load, that's the best way to tell.
Old 12-26-04, 03:48 PM
Dixond
Pole Position

I am currently having the same problem and would like to know how edgesc01 resolved it.
I'm thinking that it is a big brick relay/fuse type thing. Twice now I have gotten lucky and pulled it (while also pulling out and re-insterting every plug on the grid) and put it back in... jumped in the car and gotten the doorlocks to work. Always before the doorlocks don't even work. The first time that I got it to work however, i had enough time to put the key in and crank it up... BUT all the interior lights and my radar detector were FLIPPING out... as in too much power juicing up the lights too bright..
I've also noticed that when nothing is working, i can hit the door locks and it seems to trip (or click) something in a box that resides on top of the steering column up under the dash.
I will get around to testing and hopefully replacing the main ignition brick fuse under the hood and hopefully solve my problem... at least I think that this is IT... anyone have any reason to believe it isn't?
Old 12-26-04, 04:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by Dixond
I am currently having the same problem and would like to know how edgesc01 resolved it.
I'm thinking that it is a big brick relay/fuse type thing. Twice now I have gotten lucky and pulled it (while also pulling out and re-insterting every plug on the grid) and put it back in... jumped in the car and gotten the doorlocks to work. Always before the doorlocks don't even work. The first time that I got it to work however, i had enough time to put the key in and crank it up... BUT all the interior lights and my radar detector were FLIPPING out... as in too much power juicing up the lights too bright..
I've also noticed that when nothing is working, i can hit the door locks and it seems to trip (or click) something in a box that resides on top of the steering column up under the dash.
I will get around to testing and hopefully replacing the main ignition brick fuse under the hood and hopefully solve my problem... at least I think that this is IT... anyone have any reason to believe it isn't?
sounds like your starter is locking up dixon. removing the fuse releases the contacts.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 12-26-04 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Wont Start !!??