Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

power steering question (whine, fluid, etc?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-04, 03:40 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default power steering question (whine, fluid, etc?)

Hi everyone.

On my drive from Chicago to New York, I noticed that my SC300 was making a whining noise. I determined that the noise was coming from the power steering. It must have happened as I entered Pennsylvania, and unfortunately being in the middle of nowhere, I had to continue driving. When I noticed the noise though, I bought some STP power steering fluid and added just a bit to top off. The noise seemed to quiet down after that point for about two hours.

I remember when I went for my last oil change, the guy made an off-hand comment about how the fluid was dirty. I was in a rush, so I just completely forgot about it.

I've searched through several threads, but I'm not sure what I need to do to fix this. There is a whining noise. The power steering still works. There is NO clicking noise. The whining noise seems to correspond to the engine speed (rpm) and kind of disappear when I push in the clutch. There is NO fluid gushing out of the reservoir. When I opened the cap, I noticed that the fluid was kind of bubbly or foamy. After a few seconds of cooling down, the fluid returned back to normal.

Anyone have any idea what problem I have?

Thanks,
-Brian.
Old 12-21-04, 05:36 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a search, I made a post on how to flush out your fluid a while back. Its not too hard and its well worth the time it takes to do it, especailly in your situation
Old 12-21-04, 12:33 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

I am looking more for what the problem is. Is it something that can be fixed by flushing the fluid?

Also, what does this have to do with engines and transmissions?
Old 12-21-04, 01:25 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoogieBoogie
I am looking more for what the problem is. Is it something that can be fixed by flushing the fluid?

Also, what does this have to do with engines and transmissions?
Sounds like it's a restriction related issue. The filter in the resevoir may be clogged or the hoses may be pinching shut due to age and suction. More that likely it's the resevoir filter is clogged - and the entire resevoir will need to be replaced - from what I hear they are not cheap.
Old 12-21-04, 01:51 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Thanks Nomis,

What do you think I should do first? Is it worth getting it serviced by the dealer or is it simple enough to do it myself?

They are quoting $100 for the power steering fluid flush.

What does the foamy power steering fluid mean? When the car has a chance to cool down, it doesn't make the noise when it's driven. After driving a few minutes at highway speeds, it starts to make the noise again.

Thanks,
-Brian.
Old 12-21-04, 02:09 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MoogieBoogie
Thanks Nomis,

What do you think I should do first? Is it worth getting it serviced by the dealer or is it simple enough to do it myself?

They are quoting $100 for the power steering fluid flush.

What does the foamy power steering fluid mean? When the car has a chance to cool down, it doesn't make the noise when it's driven. After driving a few minutes at highway speeds, it starts to make the noise again.

Thanks,
-Brian.
Get the dealer to diagnose the problem and offer a solution - if they state that a flush should fix the problem and it does not then they should eat the cost and that money should be applied to whatever they suggest may be the problem - they resevoir, etc.
Old 12-22-04, 08:54 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

A friend of mine flushed out the power steering fluid. It was a nasty, thick black. In any case, it seemed simple, although I'm sure the whole procedure was more difficult than it looked. Flushed it out and put in Mobil 1 synthetic ATF fluid in there. No more noise, and everything seems good.

-Brian.
Old 12-22-04, 09:58 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Wait wait wait...he put ATF as in Automatic Transmission Fluid into your power steering pump??? I'm not sure if the viscosties are the same or not but unless your friend really knows what he's doing, you might wanna rethink that. Anyone else hav input...?

James
Old 12-22-04, 10:54 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading the owner's manual usually clears up those kind of questions....matter of fact reading the top of the cap works too
Old 12-23-04, 07:28 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jet864
Wait wait wait...he put ATF as in Automatic Transmission Fluid into your power steering pump??? I'm not sure if the viscosties are the same or not but unless your friend really knows what he's doing, you might wanna rethink that. Anyone else hav input...?

James
lol Like Lex Luthor said, read the top of the power steering cap, ATF is what you use
Old 12-23-04, 02:47 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diggin' that avatar, Aerostar.
Allllyoucan!
Old 08-04-06, 09:57 AM
sickid
Driver School Candidate

my question is does it matter the type of DEXTRON ATF you use and or synthetic or not. the cap says dextron atf type. but i have read toyota type atf is good to use and also i've read mobile 1 atf synthetic. also i have seen on bottles of dextron atf dextron mercon III and i have read dextron II is the best to use. can this be cleared up what type is the best to use??? dextron III , dextron II, synthetic or non. or just get the toyota atf(red/pink stuff) thanks
Old 08-04-06, 07:01 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

all toyota power steering units have used ATF since late 80s...
Old 08-04-06, 07:39 PM
sickid
Driver School Candidate

bought toyota atf to be safe. but the damn pump is still squeeking. so i guess i have to buy a new ps pump. changed the serpentine belt, and flushed the ps system i even took the whole pump apart cleaned inside. my tensioner has alot of resistance so i don't think its the problem. i am tired so tomorrow i am going to remove the belt to see if something feels like it is sticking. ex: alternator or water pump, ac. the noise is definitley comming from the ps pump but it spins fine and the new belt looks to be getting wear already? trying to save money.. ijust need the car to run till like december then i can swap the motor...