Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Xerd header finally arrives!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-04, 01:51 AM
Vitmn R
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xerd header finally arrives!!

Bought the header used 2 weeks ago, but was delaid due to check clearing account since it's out of state. So instead of avg., 2-3days it took 7days not including a weekend.. But waiting has been worth it now as the Xerd header awaits installation friday.. Also it has been nicely heat wrapped and no rust. I'm so ready this second to toss it on, but must wait as both O2 sensors need replacing due by torn wires. Only minor problem is they are different design from stock units so some parts hunting required.
Once it's installed though its going to be awsome since the factory catback and mid-pipe remain on the car. Should be slightly louder, more responance, more mid-range, and yet retains stock look/sound/feel when driven normal. I know since the midpipe, c/b, intake, ect., is stock I shouldnt expect huge gains, which I don't.
Advice from anyone who has/had done this install or same header on anything helpful. I am always thankful for any advice/suggestions/ideas offered from fellow members.
Bonus eye candy:

Kevin
Old 12-21-04, 02:02 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

damn i need one of those......looks real nice.

anyway on to the headers...
i had them on my old supra back before i got my SC. make sure it is sealed perfectly. Order a new gasket that goes between the header and head. If possible, get one of those paper gaskets that goes between the header and midpipe to make sure theres no leaks. If there are any at all it wont sound/feel so great.

for the o2 sensors...are the bungs on the header screw in or 2 bolt flanged? Hopefully they are the screw in type since those are cheaper. you can get a universal o2 sensor and just lengthen them to the right legth (try to stay as close to stock as possible while leaving enough wire so that it doesnt touch the header and ground (zipties are your friend)).
If they are the 2 bolt flange type, it will be very expensive to replace. Also, if your original o2 sensors have 4 wires, then youll need a 4wire sensor. only one wire is used for the reading while the others are used to preheat the sensor, but youll need all 4. I believe they sell these universally also. Goodluck with the project and hope you enjoy the header
Old 12-21-04, 02:21 AM
Vitmn R
Rookie

GRRRR, the O2's are 2bolt style but I heard MKIII Supra ones work and are made w/ 4 wire.. It maybe easy to find them, and no problems during install which rarely happens. OR its gunna be a b*tch to get the O2s that fit and many nasty, pain in my *ss problems arise on install day.. Lets pray 4 easy,smooth, correct.. If anyone knows some O2s that'll work please lemme know.
Kev
Old 12-21-04, 10:40 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

I found when I did my last headers that it was a good idea to pre-soak all the rusty and corroded bolts with some penetrating fluid. I'm a fan of PB Blaster All new gaskets is a must! Do it right the first time and all will be cool.

Good luck and have fun doing it. I hope it makes some decent power for you.
Old 12-21-04, 09:46 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've always wanted to see how much power (dyno wise) these things can produce. good luck with the install!
Old 12-22-04, 03:56 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

gl with the install, let us kno the gains/losses and if any change in sound
Old 12-22-04, 04:00 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

boostlogic sells adapter flanges that will convert the screw on sensor to bolt on.
Old 12-23-04, 12:20 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is xerd still selling these headers? thy are located in cali, right?
Old 12-23-04, 01:30 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by indypwr
is xerd still selling these headers? thy are located in cali, right?
http://supraforums.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=248028

Sorry to post a SF link but I though you guys could benefit from this.

~Alan