Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installed Torsen diff and 6-puck into SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-04, 12:45 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Installed Torsen diff and 6-puck into SC

hey all, I just thought I would give you a bit of an update on the status of my wife's little project...

First off, thanks to a good friend of mine I was able to get a torsen diff out of a 94 supra TT automatic for $50 and install it into a pumpkin loaned from Chris Johnson (PMsupra on here). I had another friend of a friend shim the diff into the pumpkin and then I installed the diff at the shop that I work at.

Install time: 2 hrs
Install difficulty: maybe about a 3 out of 10
Coolness factor: 10 out of 10

The install went really well, didnt have any snags, and everything came in and out nice and smooth. Since all I had to do was swap out the pumpkins, I only had to remove the driveshaft, halfshafts and exhaust, and with the lift, all of this is cake.

We took the car out to a drift event shortly after we installed the diff, but before I installed the clutch, and the difference was night and day. The diff locks up almost instantaneously on turn in, and it actually makes it slightly harder to initiate the drift, but once you get her sideways, she will stay that way until you straighten her back out. However, because the clutch was under more load now that it was spinnin 17" GS400 wheels and tires with 235/45 Kumho Supra 712's instead of 15" stock wheels with 195/60 crap tires, the clutch slipped badly when you tried to clutch kick.

SO, to fix this problem, I installed an ACT unsprung 6-puck diff ordered directly from ACT. Since this is my wife's daily driver, I didnt want it to make the car impossible to drive, so I teamed the unsprung disk up with a stock pressure plate. Results are fantastic. Excellent engagement, with only a slight amount of chatter, ZERO slip even when clutch kicking at speed from 6500rpm. overall, simply fantastic. I don't know how it will actually do at an event, but we are gonna find out on the 5th of December...

6- puck install time: 4.5 hours
Difficulty: 6 out of 10
JDM tightness: 100%

Thanks Chris and Corey for helping us make this possible
Old 11-19-04, 01:46 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

TIGHT!

CEO
Old 11-19-04, 03:24 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds awesome man,

Next time take some pics a long the way!

Peace,
Jonny
Old 11-19-04, 03:50 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I posted some pics of the diff a while back, before we had it shimmed into the new pumpkin. And this is already the second time I have done the clutch in this car, so I didnt think to take pics this time :-/

but anyway, for those of you who were thinking about installing a torsen diff in either your daily driver, or your track car DO IT!!! It is an incredible upgrade and totally worth the money.

For those of you thinking about upgrading your clutch, like if you want a stock feel, but with much more holding capacity and a quick engagement, think about pairing an unsprung 6-puck to your stock pressure plate. It really does work quite well...