Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing My Clutch, Ever Do Yours?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-04, 05:31 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Changing My Clutch, Ever Do Yours?

Hey i noticed my clutch starting to slip about a week ago but recently it has gotten really bad. I ordered an ACT clutch (advanced clutch technology). It should be coming in within the next couple of days. I wanted to get a headstart so I put the car on the carlift.. only to check out the scene and perhaps loosen bolts.

I managed to loosen all the bolts after stopping my autozone to purchase the correct tools. Some were really hard to reach but I got them all. Now, that i have loosened all bolts its easy just to take down my gearbox from the FRONT as soon as my new clutch comes in.. my issue is:

where do i disconnect the gearbox from on the rear? should i disconnect from the driveshaft or from the rear all with the driveshaft and just work on it like that?

i have replaced clutches before on my FWD car previously but never on my RWD.. so if you have any information regarding this thread..whether its relevent and not.. all tips are welcome.
Old 11-12-04, 06:20 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey cool I'm doing mine next weekend as well.

Well the long and short of it is:
You'll need to drop the drive shaft from the rear-end and then remove completely. Then you can pull out all the remaining bolts and disconnect any wiring harnesses (unsure I haven’t really looked yet). Then you can slide the tranny off and out. I don't know how much they weigh so you may want to have a few buddies there with you to help catch, i would bet it is around 120-150lbs. Just a guess though.

Then you need to remove the old pressure plate and then the friction plate will fall off. Get the FW resurfaced. Then reverse order, being sure to use the alignment tool and running bolts the pressure plate down even and slowly.

You said you have done a FWD so much of this is old hat to you but thought I would throw it in for someone who may not have done it before.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-14-04, 09:11 PM
grnstreak
Driver School Candidate

you have to drop the exhaust first before doing anything with the drive shaft. Careful with the castle nuts on the exhaust header. Crack them by hand if you can. Impact gun will just strip it. When disconnecting the driveshaft take the (3) 17mm bolts out on the rubber side of the drive shaft. Use a pry bar to slide it out of the output shaft from the tranny. The tranny isn't too heavy, no where over 100 pounds. Make sure you check manufacturers spec on the proper torque and tighting sequence. Need anymore help just drop a line here. Good luck
Old 11-15-04, 03:56 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Kragen(or other local auto-parts stores) rent out pilot bearing pullers.
I found this out after spending 2 hours trying to remove mine with a screwdriver.
I was lucky that i didn't cause any damage to the crankshaft.

Good luck.

~Alan

EDIT: P.S. Alignment tool is a must. Well worth the couple of bucks.

Last edited by SPORTcoupe; 11-15-04 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-15-04, 07:14 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oooh man this is gravy, Im going to be doing mine sometime near christmas. I have never done a clutch job before, so any more helpful tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks alot
Old 11-15-04, 10:49 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

i as well will be doing a clutch install sometime soon since my throw out bearing is beginning to annoy the crap out of me. It would be great if someone can do a detailed write up with pics.
Old 11-16-04, 04:14 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Originally posted by siaxazn
i as well will be doing a clutch install sometime soon since my throw out bearing is beginning to annoy the crap out of me. It would be great if someone can do a detailed write up with pics.
Yea what he said

You getting tired of the squeek squeek everytime you push the clutch too?
Old 11-16-04, 04:43 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
Yea what he said

You getting tired of the squeek squeek everytime you push the clutch too?
I tried spraying WD-40 along the fork through the rubber boot and this made the squeak go away for about 2 weeks.
*Before you flame me, yes I know I was spraying lubricant into a system that needs maximum grip.*
WD-40 evaporates, therefore the squeak comes back.
If you were to use real grease, your clutch would start slipping.
I really wish I knew a way to get rid of this squeak.
It sounds like a bird has been trapped under my car when it's idling.
Good thing my exhaust overpowers that sound at anything above idle.
Let me know how you guys fix it.

~Alan
Old 11-16-04, 05:52 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you do not need to drop the exhaust. i know this for a fact, as i not only replaced my clutch, but i have also replaced a trans...all without removing, or droping the exhaust. you need to remove the cross bar above the exhaust in the rear so that you can get the driveshaft out. other than that... just remember to disconnect the batery so that your starter doesnt short out, as it is held on by the bolts in the trans. pm me if you need more details.
Old 11-16-04, 11:55 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

I dont think the chirping sound can be cured by lubricating the fork. it just means ur throw out bearing and the only fix is to replace it. I guess im a little luckier since it doesnt chirp all the time. only 60% of the time.
Old 11-17-04, 04:47 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Oooh this is a question my friend has been badgering me about. When I do my clutch, I wont have a lift, just a jack and 4 jackstands. So how high do I have to jack up my car to completely remove the tranny?

Thanks
Old 11-17-04, 05:06 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

i did my clutch on the ground. you only need to get the trans on the ground and out of the way enought to get the pressure plate off. its heavy when your letting it down or puting it back up. get someone to help. lay on your back, one on each side, then put your hands behind your head to let it down or put it up. it will make your triceps burn, but its a good workout. good luck. it took me about 5 hours on my back. it wouldnt take as long a second time.
Old 11-17-04, 05:11 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

is it really true that i have to remove my exhaust to take out my driveshaft? i'm still waiting for my clutch believe it ornot! its been weeks! ..they were out of stock but should be here soon
Old 11-17-04, 05:18 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ki_soarer
i did my clutch on the ground. you only need to get the trans on the ground and out of the way enought to get the pressure plate off. its heavy when your letting it down or puting it back up. get someone to help. lay on your back, one on each side, then put your hands behind your head to let it down or put it up. it will make your triceps burn, but its a good workout. good luck. it took me about 5 hours on my back. it wouldnt take as long a second time.
You got a PM
Old 11-17-04, 06:18 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

pm answered.

Quick Reply: Changing My Clutch, Ever Do Yours?