Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I had a sqeaking coming from my belts. What else could it be??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-04, 07:02 AM
bezeeduzit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What else could it be??

I had a sqeaking coming from my belts. It sounded like a metal on metal squeaking and not the belt itself. The belt was checked and is in good condition. It sounded like the noise was coming from the tensioner and i sprayed some wd-40 on the tensioner , not on the belt , and the noise would disappear. So i thought the tensioner needed to be replaced and from doing some searches the noise others described was the same i was experiencing. Now since i changed it the noise went away for a day and now its back. I have no clue what it could be , now im completely stumped. The noise would always appear and disappear but it sounds HORRIBLE and i cant take it! Help guys any ideas???
Old 11-10-04, 04:33 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Check your drivebelt again! I had a horrible noise coming from the front of the engine (didn't know what it was), then when I was in the city, stuck in traffic, OUT THE FRONT OF A CLUB, my drivebelt snapped on me because the idler tensioner bearing seized up (the ball bearings inside came out, one got smashed and blocked the others from rotating, and the belt was causing so much friction that it burnt up...) scary stuff, not to mention embarrassing as well!

Also check your pulleys too.
Old 11-10-04, 04:39 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

You really don't need this happening to you in the middle of the city...
Attached Thumbnails I had a sqeaking coming from my belts. What else could it be??-dsc01864.jpg  
Old 11-11-04, 06:01 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Does it stop with the a/c off?
Old 11-11-04, 09:04 AM
JSnake916
Driver

I had squealing upon start-up for about 4 months. First, I got a new belt. That stopped it for like a week. I then procured a new tensioner and pulley (and new belt)...stopped it for a week. I the turned to spraying belt conditioner on the belt every few days which worked. BUT, I suspect that the tensioner fluid got all in my alternator and caused it to take a crap. I then replaced my alternator and the squealing is now gone. So yeah, just start your search for your culprit lol. BTW, this is an SC300.
Old 11-11-04, 12:05 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: What else could it be??

Originally posted by bezeeduzit
I had a sqeaking coming from my belts. It sounded like a metal on metal squeaking and not the belt itself. The belt was checked and is in good condition. It sounded like the noise was coming from the tensioner and i sprayed some wd-40 on the tensioner , not on the belt , and the noise would disappear. So i thought the tensioner needed to be replaced and from doing some searches the noise others described was the same i was experiencing. Now since i changed it the noise went away for a day and now its back. I have no clue what it could be , now im completely stumped. The noise would always appear and disappear but it sounds HORRIBLE and i cant take it! Help guys any ideas???
i get the same thing every time it starts getting cold...i had all of my belts replaced 7k ago...if it goes away in 4 minutes i would not worry about it....i now know that my noise is due to the weather being cold...

CEO
Old 11-14-04, 09:09 AM
bezeeduzit
Rookie

Well the sqeaking doesnt always do it at start up , sometimes it will kick in just as the car has warmed up. I dunno what else to do, like last night i hardly heard the noise at all, but im sure that today it will whine like a dog. i dont know what else to check. One thing though , the pitch of the noise seems to change when i turn the steering wheel left to right. I dont know if that makes a difference.
Old 11-14-04, 09:23 PM
grnstreak
Driver School Candidate

if you sprayed the tensioner and the sound went away, don't you think you need to replace your tensioner pulley?

However, if you do say that the sound of the squeak changes when you turn the steering wheel, I'm guessing it's your powersteering pump. If it is, you can try pouring a bit of lucas power steering stop squeak. Works wonders.

Good luck