Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 5 speed conversion questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 01:30 AM
meccanoble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 5 speed conversion questions?

i did a little reading and seen that some people may have done the 5 speed conversion. Its so hard to find a 5 speed SC i wouldnt mind converting. I had it done to my first nissan maxima and no welding or cutting was needed, just parts were changed.

Also i'm curious as to how fast SC300's are. I'm thinking of selling my maxima after i go turbo and only 2 cars interest me that may be in my price range. Acura Legend 2 door (92-95 last generation) or 92-95 SC 300. But i need 5 speed. I seen they are pushing over 30 more hp than the maxima but same torque and car is 500 pounds heavier. One of the reasons i picked the SC is because of the tq it has and its RWD but i seen somewhere that SC owners are only running low 15's stock which is what maxima's are doing. can someone also give me a good idea of how well the SC performs on the track and how beneficial the smaller mods like exhaust, intake and underdrive pulley may effect performance?
Old 11-08-04, 02:40 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

the sc300 has great potential and is built to last, i cant say the same about the maxima. adding a turbo wil get the car to do 10's if modded right. It would be much cheaper to just buy a 5spd than to do the auto conversion. unless you plan on doing a supra tt swap and get a 6spd in there. That would be more worth it but may cost a pretty penny.

Please take advantage of the search future many have done this conversion before and im sure you'll find all you need to know there.
Old 11-08-04, 08:59 AM
meccanoble
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info. I didnt know about search.

I dont plan to turbo an SC anytime soon if at all, but i am interested to know how well the 5 speeders do on the quarter mile. If they cant do atleast high 14's stock, i'll be dissappointed.
Old 11-08-04, 10:31 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

i believe it does low 15's stock and could easily do 14's with minor bolt on mods. If your only concerned about speed then maybe you should pick up a supra or something but most people get the sc becuase it has both a luxury and sporty feel. It is indeed a heavy *** car due to its luxury features ect. So if your looking for a track car try for something lighter.

in my opionion the sc 5spd is the nicest car i ever owned. It shifts the smoothest out of all the cars i've driven and its very quite and comfortable in the car. It has a good balance of high end and low end torque, but i admit its not all that fast but fast can probably take out the older maximas. if you feel its still too slow if you ever pick one up then consider turbo. Most people go that route eventually.
Old 11-08-04, 12:34 PM
meccanoble
Driver School Candidate

i like the look of the SC but was hoping to pick up a car that was a little faster than mine stock vs stock. My car runs very low 15's stock. I guess it will be just as fast. The usual intake, exhaust mods, how much hp gains do they give the SC300's? i really like the interior, especially a 5 speed, it looks so hot man. I guess i just gotta drive one and see how it fairs.

Supra's are too expensive lol, i'm looking for like 7-8k most to spend on an SC, keep it stock for a while then slowly build it up after i graduate.