Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installed flex a lite fans *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-04, 11:12 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Installed flex a lite fans *pics*

I know theres a few threads on this already but hey its always nice to see pics of more. I finally got fed up with the ugly stock fan shroud which had broken mounting brackets so i opted to get the dual flex a lite 220's since they saved alot of space and looked cool(which also gave the engine bay an updated look over the old stock fan) and also claim to give at least 5 rwhp. So i guess you can't loose with this investment even if it doesnt give you the hp gains your expecting at least it saved space and looks cool. I got the 220's over the 210's since I was going to wire them up to run all the time anyway. The fans are louder than the stock one but with the hood close you can barely hear it in the car, but either way they so pretty cool so I don't mind.

no post is complete with out pics, so here you go:
Attached Thumbnails Installed flex a lite fans *pics*-1.jpg  
Old 10-31-04, 11:13 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

another angle
Attached Thumbnails Installed flex a lite fans *pics*-3.jpg  
Old 10-31-04, 11:14 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

a close up
Attached Thumbnails Installed flex a lite fans *pics*-4.jpg  
Old 10-31-04, 11:15 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

rear view
Attached Thumbnails Installed flex a lite fans *pics*-5.jpg  
Old 10-31-04, 11:16 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

and another close up
Attached Thumbnails Installed flex a lite fans *pics*-6.jpg  
Old 10-31-04, 11:18 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

pm vredniykot he may buy your old fan.
Old 10-31-04, 11:21 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks nice
Old 11-01-04, 02:48 AM
samsc300
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering how does the fan turn on. Do you have it on a switch...thanx
Old 11-01-04, 10:42 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

I just wired it to a 12v source that turns on when the key is turned to start. but I'd rather have it turn on only when the engine is running which means that its being powered by the alternator and not the battery. Lets say I wanted to sit in my car and listen to the radio with the engine off if I was parked somewhere and didnt want to waste gas. I can't do that with the way i wired it up now anyone know of a wire i can rig it to so it goes on only when the engine goes on?

I'd rather not deal with switches since i heard there is sometimes overheating issues if its not on at the right times so its better to leave it on all the time. the only downfall of having it on all the time is it may take longer for the engine to warm up. But i suppose I may end up installing a cut off switch so I can cut it off when im warming up the car. or I suposse this would solve my issue of having the fans running when the alternator is not on. I'm just affraid i may forget to turn it back on if i decide to shut it off.

Last edited by siaxazn; 11-01-04 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-01-04, 01:26 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

It looks great!! Def looks a lot better than stock.

As for wiring it, how much juice does it need to run? Why can't u just run a wire to your alternator fuse?

Peace,
Jonny
Old 11-01-04, 05:44 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

I tested the alternator fuse under the hood for power with the car shut off and it had power so I dont think that would work unless I tested it wrong i dunno. I beleive it runs 30 amps. With my hid's and 500 watt sub blasting all the time on the highway im questioning if my stock alternator will hold up but im not as worried since i replaced my old on with a new one a month ago so hopefully it will hold up better than an old stock alternator. I did a 2 hour drive at night with the radio blasting and hids on and so far so good.
Old 11-01-04, 06:15 PM
Stupidnewb
Rookie

I'd highly recommend you run a temp sensor and a relay. This will only kick the fans on when they are needed, rather than running all the time. You are unnecessarily draining your battery, straining your alternator, and possibly running the car at a colder than optimum temp. www.summitracing.com sells Painless Wiring kits with everything in it for like $50.
Old 11-01-04, 06:47 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Stupidnewb
I'd highly recommend you run a temp sensor and a relay. This will only kick the fans on when they are needed, rather than running all the time. You are unnecessarily draining your battery, straining your alternator, and possibly running the car at a colder than optimum temp. www.summitracing.com sells Painless Wiring kits with everything in it for like $50.

HAHAHAHA - sorry, I thought that was great!!! Too many fumes have been inhaled today!!

Peace man, and JK,

Jonny
Old 11-02-04, 03:54 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

is there by some slim chance already a senor that turns on the stock fan at a certain temperature? so couldn't i save myself 60 bucks and i just wire it up to that? I'm really not willing to pay for the 60 dollar temperature control if i can rig one of from radio shack and the auto parts store for 20 bucks or something. Otherwise i think i'll leave it as is since i heard the temperature probes arent all that accurent anyways and some people have had some overheatting issues when they didnt leave the fans on all the time.
Old 11-02-04, 06:05 AM
Stupidnewb
Rookie

The stock fans aren't designed to run all the time either. In our vehicles, there is most likely a temp sensor somewhere, but I don't know where or at what temperature it comes on at. However, it sounds to me like you are playing with fire, $50-60 is not that much when that fan can potentially burn your car to a crisp. You are already running it off a high-amp relay, correct? If not, that needs to be the very first thing you do, you can get a Bosch 30 or 60 amp relay from any auto parts place. If you want to manually control the fan with a switch, go for it, but if you want to have something you can't forget about and overheat your car, get a temp sensor hooked up one way or another.

Quick Reply: Installed flex a lite fans *pics*