Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-04, 02:18 PM
Carib
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Block Heater

Hey Guys,

I have a 92 SC400 and live in Toronto, Canada.
The winters here can be brutal sometimes and I've been thinking about getting a block heater to help warm the engine a bit before starting it on those extremely cold mornings.

I checked with the local Lexus dealer, but they didn't seem to knowledgable about it.
Any of you have any experience or knowledge or tips regarding block heaters?

Any comments regarding this would be appreciated.

Carib.
Old 11-01-04, 07:45 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

hey carib, i use to live in alaska and i too had to deal with the winter problems. u have 2 things u can do to your car first off, u can go to napa or some parts store there and they should sell heater pads, looks like a flat piece of rubber with an electrical plug comming out of it, the 2nd thing you can do is get a block heater at the auto parts store too, it replaces one of your frost plugs, and it too has an electrical cord coming out of it. ok now the heater pad i mentioned can go on your oil pan or tranny pan, all you do i use some sort of high temp silicone to glue it to the bottom of the pan then u run the cord up to a power box mounted somewhere in your engine bay. that pad will keep your engine oil or tranny oil warm, its a good idea because if your oil is thick it will take time for the oil pump to get the oil circulating. here's a pic of one.
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...e=1415&PTSet=A
now the 2nd thing is the frost plug heater, it basically is a heating element that fits inside the frost plug's place and heats up the engine coolant which will aid in warming your car up faster. a pic

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...e=1415&PTSet=A
well thats the best i can do, anybody with some mechanical skill can put either on their car in no time, otherwise u can have a shop do it for you.
Old 11-02-04, 06:20 PM
Carib
Driver

Default Frost plug?

Thanks for the input....

Where would the frost plug be located? This is the first time I'm hearing of such a thing.

I've seen the heating element style block heater selling (for other cars), but I haven't come across the mat style heater as of yet. I'm keeping my eyes open...!

Carib.
Old 11-02-04, 10:47 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

hey carib i dont really know where it would be as of right now, but it will look like a brass plug about the size of a quarter,(canadian or american quarter) it will be on the engine block. i will look tomorrow and see if i can find any.
Old 11-03-04, 06:25 AM
Carib
Driver

Default .

Ohhhh!
I know what you are talking about now....
It is sort of like one of those 'water jacket' seals.
Okay, I now know excatly what you are talking about....

Thanks.