Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing MT Fluid and Diff Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-04, 09:02 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing MT Fluid and Diff Fluid

I just ordred some redline fluid tonight, should be here within a week. From reading posts I need a pump to pump in the new fluid into my manual transmission. In the past I've always heard of people doing a drain and refill multiple times. Do I not need to do this because its a manual transmission?

Also, how do I drain and refill the differential fluid in the back? I'm sure I can find the plug, but I'll probably have the hardest time finding where to fill it back up. Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Tim
Old 10-28-04, 09:55 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have replaced the trans in my 5-speed sc, so from experience, the easiest way to fill it is to remove the shifter and fill it from the top. you will need to take out the shift boot, and there are a few rubber sound insulators, but i think there are only 8 bolts total. if you put a swivel on the socket, you dont need to remove the center console to remove the shifter. the drain plug is right on the bottom of the trans. as far as the diff goes, the drain plug is still on the bottom. i replaced the diff in my car as well, but i cant remember where the fill hole was. ill let you know if i remeber. good luck. hope this helped a little.
Old 10-29-04, 12:14 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Most autoparts stores sell a decent pump that goes with those gear oils that are sold in square bottles.

The diff fill and drain plugs are easy to find, once you get under the car and check it out. The car should be level to fill the diff to the proper level.

Warm the oil before draining by driving around for a while. Make sure you can remove the fill plug before draining.
Old 10-29-04, 06:03 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Whoa, there's an easier way than using any pumps or removing the shifter... I don't recommend filling thru the shifter. You don't want gear lube to fall on your interior. It won't come off and the smell will remind you of your mistake for years to come.

Just remove the fill plug and snake a hose from the engine bay into it. Put a funnel on the end if the hose and fill thru there. Keep filling until it spills out of the fill hole which indicates a full tranny. Car must be level.

Diff can be done the exact same way with the hose/funnel at the right wheel.
Old 10-29-04, 12:35 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just for reference...the diff plugs, unless different on my 92 vs your cars required an allen socket and a torque wrench. They were frozen on pretty tight. Also, for my tranny, the fill bolt was frozen on so bad i still have not been able to get it off. There isnt enough room to get in there with a breaker bar and socket and i cant find a crows foot in the right size. I dont remember off the top of my head if its 14 or 17 but in either case, open ended regular wrenchs didnt offer enough torque. Didnt have a pipe handy that could fit over the wrench. How did you guys get it off short of dropping the tranny mounts to allow it to sag some?
Old 10-29-04, 12:43 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine's a 92 and I don't remember any difficulties at all doing this in my driveway. I didn't have to raise the tranny or loosen the mounts.

Damn I wish I could remember how I did it so I could give details but it was in March and wasn't anything difficult otherwise I would have remembered the mission.

Keep looking at it and play with the angles, it can be done easily.
Old 10-29-04, 12:53 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

im sure it can, i just cant get my breaker bar in there. Even with a short socket it doesnt fit. i guess ill just have to keep toying with it. The diff was real easy to do and didnt give me any problems at all. Also, i find that, with other cars that ive been successful with, filling the tranny is best from the engine bay. Just use a clear hose that is resistant to any chemical degradation. I got one at home depot that was 1/2" clear silicon and it said it was chemical resistant. It didnt harden up or melt down so i assume that it worked well. I used that with a funnel and had no problems. There are also many pumps available that are not hard to use at all if you dont have a length of hose available.
Old 10-29-04, 03:48 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default Yeah those pumps are a piece of cake (cheap, too) ...

I've never met a frozen nut/bolt/plug that didn't soften up once I applied a propane torch to it. I guess I wouldn't use it on those notoriously tough nuts on our fuel filters (!), but otherwise, if you've got the clearance to do so safely, see what a little heat does for you.
Old 10-29-04, 04:17 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its incredibly easy, DONT remove the shifter, dont do it from the engine. Just ramp/jack up the rear, and put your new (Redline I hope) fluid in through the FILL(!!!) hole. You'll need a 10mm hexkey wrench (allen wrench if you will). Good luck
Old 11-06-04, 01:23 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I got my redline fluid, but I can't find the fill holes for the rear diff or the main transmission? If anybody can help me find the side of the car and where it should be would be GREAT! Especially if you have pictures of where these would be. I can't find either!!!! Its driving me nuts!
Old 11-06-04, 01:54 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fill hole on the trans is on the drivers side about half way up ont the side of the trans. i think the fill hole for the rear is on the back, but i cant remember. good luck.
Old 11-06-04, 03:36 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Can somebody post pics if possible? I'm thinking about changing my tranny oil too.
Old 11-07-04, 12:57 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

With all due respect, even if someone posts a photo it's hardly necessary. The diff fill hole is about two-thirds up the side of the diff casing (where the fluid level should be), and has a recessed socket for a hex wrench. It's not a protruding bolt like your oil drain plug.

If you can't see it, use a flashlight and/or clean off all the gunk on your diff that is obscuring the plug (that will keep your diff fluid cooler, too).
Old 11-07-04, 02:46 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

anyone notice if their tranny got smoother after changing the fluid? some people claim it got a lot better... I didn't notice anything.
Old 11-07-04, 05:58 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I think it might depend on how bad the fluid is in the first place. If I ever get it changed today I'll let you guyes know how I came out. Did anybody have to remove the rear wheel to get to the diff fill plug?

Quick Reply: Changing MT Fluid and Diff Fluid