Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

EGR/Emission problems- Please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-04, 01:39 PM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy EGR/Emission problems- Please help

Hello fellow cl members-
I got a CEL a few weeks ago on my 95 SC300. I did the diagnostic with a paper clip and got the code 71 EGR system. I didn't really consider it an issue until I went to get my emissions done yesterday. I reset my CEL, hoping that would be all I needed to pass. Nope- the NOX was at twice what it should be. These are the two opinions i've gotten:

-EGR valve stuck shut, clean it out with brake cleaner and the problem should go away on it's own.
If this is the solution, what is the procedure for doing this? (Including the location- i believe it's right next to the top of the intake manifold but i'm not sure)

- There is a sensor located near the valve that needs to be replaced. (I was unsure of this because I had never heard of this sensor)

Anyway, my tags expire in a few days so I need to pass emissions as quickly and cheap as possible. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Zac
Old 10-28-04, 02:40 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

remove the egr.

do a search for egr mod on supraforums.com

edit: for emissions, disregard my post.

Last edited by aliga; 10-28-04 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-28-04, 05:19 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Removing it to clean it can be a PITA. Pull off your intake manifold up to the Ypipe (which is the worst part. Theres 2 studs that hold the EGR pipe onto the manifold. Dont bother with the bolts, just use a good 8mm rachet on the studs themselves. This will be the hardest part. It will help to have long extensions to get to the bolts on the bottom side of the Ypipe. once you get the manifold off shoot some brake cleaner into the EGR pipe and let gravity take course. Also shoot some cleaner into the intake manifold egr inlet to clean that out. It may be the pipe inside that is clogged and not necessarily the valve. Might as well clean that whole manifold piece while its out. Cover up your spark plug galley just incase. Anyway, let it dry for a while and then reassemble it. Hopefully all is well once you get it all back together. Make sure while youre taking it apart that you mark every hose and even take pictures if you havent done it before so you know how it all goes back together. This will help greatly in the reassembly. Good luck with emissions.
Old 10-29-04, 07:58 AM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Originally posted by rscott
Removing it to clean it can be a PITA. Pull off your intake manifold up to the Ypipe (which is the worst part. Theres 2 studs that hold the EGR pipe onto the manifold. Dont bother with the bolts, just use a good 8mm rachet on the studs themselves. This will be the hardest part. It will help to have long extensions to get to the bolts on the bottom side of the Ypipe. once you get the manifold off shoot some brake cleaner into the EGR pipe and let gravity take course. Also shoot some cleaner into the intake manifold egr inlet to clean that out. It may be the pipe inside that is clogged and not necessarily the valve. Might as well clean that whole manifold piece while its out. Cover up your spark plug galley just incase. Anyway, let it dry for a while and then reassemble it. Hopefully all is well once you get it all back together. Make sure while youre taking it apart that you mark every hose and even take pictures if you havent done it before so you know how it all goes back together. This will help greatly in the reassembly. Good luck with emissions.
There is no way to do it without pulling off the whole intake assembly? I recently changed my spark plugs and would really like to avoid that process again if at all possible
Old 10-29-04, 08:18 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

u dont have to take off the intake assembly
Old 10-29-04, 12:29 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

how so? The valve is beneath the actuator and theyre both one piece arent they? Can you spray the brake cleaner into the actuator?
Old 10-29-04, 10:33 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Take off the EGR system and put in 3 bottles of that fuel cleaner stuff. That's what a guy on supraforums did, and he said he passed.
Old 10-30-04, 01:18 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

I think that taking off the manifold is actually easier to do. The large nut that holds the valve portion of the egr system is a big bolt and there isnt much room to work with there. If you can maneuver it in to get that bit nut off then all youll have to do is take off the stud nuts to get that part off.
Old 10-30-04, 05:32 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

you can take the whole mechanism out, 2 bolts on the y section, and 2 bolts on the head.
Old 10-30-04, 09:54 AM
95BlackSC
Pole Position

Originally posted by aliga
you can take the whole mechanism out, 2 bolts on the y section, and 2 bolts on the head.
can you tell me where exactly the part is located and which bolts i need to take out? Does the sensor that the one guy was telling me about even exist?

Also- fuel cleaner or brake cleaner?
Old 10-31-04, 05:21 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

look at the y section of your intake, and you will see a mechanism attached on there connected via 2 bolts, this is the egr assembly.
Old 11-19-04, 11:17 PM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Default Vacume?

Did you check if the hose on top of the EGR has vacume when you open the thottle? you may want to check that before you start taking everything apart.. Sometime you jsut have to clean the hose from the EGR to the Intake manifold. I didn't check how old this thread was but hope this helps you out as well as others... Bryan
Old 05-19-05, 06:35 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Just to verify im about to do this this weekend it is BRAKE cleaner that I need right?!?! Good think I double check before I use carb cleaner or something else!
Old 05-23-05, 12:26 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Just to verify im about to do this this weekend it is BRAKE cleaner that I need right?!?! Good think I double check before I use carb cleaner or something else!
lol, either or will be fine...brake cleaner or carb cleaner...tomato tomatoE...