Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Flex-a-lite fans are vibratin the ***** outta my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 03:27 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flex-a-lite fans are vibratin the ***** outta my car

just installed these e-fans... and i think the blades aren't balanced as they are causing a resonating/vibratiion in my car... real annoying...

any ideas?
Old 10-18-04, 06:23 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hate to say it bro, but gotta get used to it. The fans are very high powered. They vibrate because they are directly mounted to your radiator which is mounted to your car. Your radiator mounts may be worn. My fans are just loud.
Old 10-18-04, 06:27 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

previous owner of the fans didn't have this problem?

and my radiator mounts are fine... radiator is nice and snug when i put it back in...

also... further research shows that sometimes the blades are not balanced correctly and will cause a rythmic resonance
Old 10-18-04, 06:34 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you got any pics of it?
Old 10-18-04, 06:34 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ummagawd
previous owner of the fans didn't have this problem?

and my radiator mounts are fine... radiator is nice and snug when i put it back in...

also... further research shows that sometimes the blades are not balanced correctly and will cause a rythmic resonance
that is a good interesting fact. I just got into an accident yesterday. Maybe i should think about replacing my fans.
Old 10-19-04, 02:12 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

no pics at the moment....

but yes... after looking into it even more.... the vibration and resonance can be caused by either:

1 - depending on where certain objects are located in front of the fan... the high turbulence of the air flow clashes with each other (similar to blowing perpendicular to the opening of a glass coke bottle)

Or

2 - unbalanced blade impellers

or both

But because the previous owner of the fans said he didn't have this problem, I'm lead to believe it's the blades being unbalanced due to the simple fact i have the same exact car and mount.
Old 10-19-04, 10:20 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

My Dad has these on his car and has the same problem (but his are new). He has contacted Flex-a-lite NUMEROUS times, and they said that it is due to a poorly designed blade. They are SUPPOSED to have re-designed fan blades ready within the next month or so. Give them a call or e-mail them till they respond, and see if they'll swap out your blades for the new ones at no charge - I think my Dad got them to do it.

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 10-19-04 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 09:51 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Lextreme will be making high quality dual electric fan kits for the SC...my car will be the prototype so pictures and a review will be coming soon...

This kit will work a lot better than the flex-a-lite and also cost less...about $150

more news soon!
Old 10-20-04, 10:37 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Really? wow! When is this going down?
Old 10-20-04, 09:07 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

yes.. as a matter of fact i did contact flex-a-lite and they actually got back to me real quick. They also mentioned the poorly designed blades and said that they'd send out new blades at no charge at the end of the month.

I'm guessing the newly designed blades won't be ready for distribution until then...

I will keep everyone posted.

thanks
Old 10-20-04, 09:14 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

yes.. as a matter of fact i did contact flex-a-lite and they actually got back to me real quick. They also mentioned the poorly designed blades and said that they'd send out new blades at no charge at the end of the month.

I'm guessing the newly designed blades won't be ready for distribution until then...

I will keep everyone posted.

thanks
Old 10-27-04, 02:28 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

just an update.... for those who said they would receive new blades for their 210 fans...

mine came in today

haven't installed it yet since i would have take the radiator off again.... but will report in again on what happens
Old 10-27-04, 08:50 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

just an update.... for those who said they would receive new blades for their 210 fans...

mine came in today

haven't installed it yet since i would have take the radiator off again.... but will report in again on what happens
Keep us posted!!
Old 10-27-04, 09:04 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

mine came in today

who do i have to contact to get the new blades? and would the 220 fans have the updated blades already?
Old 10-27-04, 10:09 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

i really wouldn't know about the 220 fans... i just went to their corporate website and sent an email...

the person whom I'm dealing with is David. I've told him about this board and the others who have similar problems. I've also asked if it's okay to give out his direct email... and I still haven't gotten a reply yet.

So i'll let everyone know.

Quick Reply: Flex-a-lite fans are vibratin the ***** outta my car