Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

finally got my jdm 2jzgtte in!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-04, 07:18 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default finally got my jdm 2jzgtte in!!!!!

i know this is crazy to think that i got the right engine in this time but it happened thanks to the very fine folks at venus-auto. com i got it from a aristo its a nice engine looks decently clean but its also sitting in my garage untill i either decide to ATTEMPT to put it in myself or find some one around that can do it for me and do it right . now heres where i need some help when i install the engine im obviously going to need and intercooler and i also want a bov...... but im kind of limited on funds ive got about a grand to spend maybe a little more between those 2 and a turbo timer for an intercooler i was looking at a yonaka motorsports one it was only 300 and its a decent sized one but im almost positive they r cheap and not worth buying just due to the price .... anyone heard anything about these ?? also any suggestions on an intercooler within my price range? now for the BOV i dont have anything specific in mind i just want something that sounds cool any suggestions on that?

i need some opinions thanks for everyones help
Old 10-02-04, 07:26 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

for the intercooler look at ebay. i havent heard of the intercooler you said and am not sure of any of the specs on it like if there is a pressure drop from it and such. id also look on thepartstrader.com also, since most people will take care of their intercoolers a used one is a good way to save money. for blow off valve i suggest the hks super suquential, i've had one for a few years on my honda and i've never had a problem with it and it always sounds nice when you hit high boost just dont get an annoying greddy type s (appologies to anyone who has one) it just sounds like some high pitched voice chick is sneezing. good luck bro and congrats on the motor....im jelous
Old 10-02-04, 07:31 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the info if you guys wanna see the intercooler im talking about the website is www.yonaka.com
does any one have any videos or sound clips where i can hear some different kinds of BOV's?
Old 10-02-04, 07:46 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

For your sc you have to swap the oil pan and that intercooler is very small for a front mount, try to buy a
stock ttsupra set up .
Old 10-03-04, 06:49 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

i agree it is small but it should be fine if you plan on keeping the stock jdm turbos i would however upgrade it later if you go single or usdm and bpu it. good luck man and let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-03-04, 07:46 AM
sct
Driver School Candidate

just so you know if you use jdm ceramic twins be prepared to deal with some downpipe issues. if you use usdm twins a supra downpipe will bolt on and so will your stock exhaust. your probably going to need alot more than a oil pan intercooler and bov. you can get supra upper pan from the dealer or use lexus pan just drill out oil return and tap bolt threads pretty sure same casting. did jdm 2jzgte swap last year and ditched the jdm turbos because supra downpipe was alot cheaper and easier to get than jdm downpipe. jdm cast iron outlet after turbos points in a different direction more down. jdm turbos probably not as reliable at high boost but spool faster and probably match the smaller jdm cams better i'm guessing.
Old 10-03-04, 08:00 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you get stuck let me know. I use Aristo 147 clip for the engine swap. It's not going to be that easy. Especally with limited information about the Aristo.

Chris
Old 10-03-04, 09:31 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

well thanks for all the help guys im sure ill be needing much more of it ...... it might be a little while longer because of the fact that i will have to buy the oil pan and im now considering going to the usdm steel turbos and supra down pipe any idea how much both of those will cost???

thanks again for everyones help
Old 10-03-04, 10:53 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

usdm turbo's anywhere from 300 to 600 and the downpipe can be had for as little as 250-ish. not all that hard to find just look on supraforums.com ebay and other places and youll find what you are looking for.
Old 10-03-04, 07:53 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by soarer479
well thanks for all the help guys im sure ill be needing much more of it ...... it might be a little while longer because of the fact that i will have to buy the oil pan and im now considering going to the usdm steel turbos and supra down pipe any idea how much both of those will cost???

thanks again for everyones help
I will be getting rid of my downpipe (for JDM turbos) this winter. As far as the oil pan, you can re-use your stock one if you want to save some money.

Chris
Old 10-04-04, 10:14 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"finally got my jdm 2jzgtte in!!!!!" Oh... you mean "you've finally received your JDM 2JZ-GTE" I took that as, "installed in the car".

I agree with Dewsc300 suggestion... the stock Supra TT I/C will probably be the best start. Perhaps try asking Venus for a Soarer GT-T stock intercooler and piping/hoses. Although it has a 1JZ-GTE it's still rated at the 280ps mark so the intercooler may be sufficient for the 2JZ-GTE. Surely the if not the intercooler, the stock intercooler plumbing looks near perfect to fit either of the 2 engines.

You should have the stock bypass valve intact on your engine, so a bov isn't an item that's absolutely necessary at this time. If your on a budget , think about what you'll need in order to get it running first. Check to make sure you have every item that's on the engine and the necessary items which mount elsewhere such as ECU, harness, fuel injector ballast, igniter box, heater hoses, radiator hoses, etc...

Scrapping the stock JDM ceramic twins because of a downpipe fitment issues is ridiculous. If one can install a 2JZ-GTE one can easily figure it out and modify a US down pipe to fit if necessary. The JDM's required a different arrangement due to the Right-hand drive steering shaft, of course, isn't gonna be an issue on a Left-hand drive. If the JDM cat is still attached this will be fine for now. Finding an HONEST low mileage US twin turbo set-up is extremely rare, if you can't afford an intercooler why spend money on something you already have. Until someone can correct me, I assure you, the US turbochargers are NOT better than the JDM ceramic turbos.

Sensei
Old 10-04-04, 10:52 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

that sounds good to me i was talking it over with my dad and he agreed to buy me a custom down pipe and 3 inch exhaust all the way back from a friend of his that owns a muffler shop so i guess the ceramic turbos will be good besides id rather have something that spools up faster and has more power in the mid range im not so much concerned about highend or top speed

and thanks for the idea of using my stock oil pan i would have never even thought of that

i dunno about the stock intercooler from a supra i think if im gunna have a little money left over i might as well buy the best thing i can afford so im still kinda looking for a decent one thanks for all the help
Old 10-04-04, 11:22 AM
DIrEctQL

that sounds good to me i was talking it over with my dad and he agreed to buy me a custom down pipe and 3 inch exhaust all the way back from a friend of his that owns a muffler shop so i guess the ceramic turbos will be good besides id rather have something that spools up faster and has more power in the mid range im not so much concerned about highend or top speed

and thanks for the idea of using my stock oil pan i would have never even thought of that

i dunno about the stock intercooler from a supra i think if im gunna have a little money left over i might as well buy the best thing i can afford so im still kinda looking for a decent one thanks for all the help
You can get the HKS S type intercooler kit. It works fine and mounts perfectly. You will however need to get the two pipes that go between the intercooler pipeing and turbo manifold. The kit is around $1000.

Chris
Old 10-04-04, 11:31 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

thanks ill be looking into that im pretty sure ill have enough to get it now that i have a little more cash to spend
Old 10-04-04, 11:46 AM
DIrEctQL

thanks ill be looking into that im pretty sure ill have enough to get it now that i have a little more cash to spend
Here is some advise: don't spend money on un-needed things right now. There will be plenty of misc. things to spend on.

Chris