Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hks Vpc

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04, 08:28 AM
MeAn_GrEEn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hks Vpc

Hey guys....im about to purchase a hks vpc and GCC....but it only comes with the vpc unit itself and only GCC unit....what else do i need to get inorder for it to run...on my car?.....what type of harness etc......
Old 10-01-04, 10:34 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ditch the gcc, keep the vpc and get an afc
Old 10-02-04, 06:09 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hks Vpc

Originally posted by MeAn_GrEEn
Hey guys....im about to purchase a hks vpc and GCC....but it only comes with the vpc unit itself and only GCC unit....what else do i need to get inorder for it to run...on my car?.....what type of harness etc......
If it's used, what vehicle did it last came off of and what vehicle and engine do you currently have? Do you have any upgrades?

Instructions for both units would be a start... you'll need to purchase an HKS ECU wire harness adapter, open the actual VPC unit and check to see which removable PROM is installed. You may need to purchase the correct PROM for your ECU and application. You should also have an HKS air temperature sensor probe and an HKS vacuum/pressure sensor.

I could never understand why one would want to use an Apex-i AFC with a HKS VPC... IMO they conflict with each other. The HKS GCC was designed to work with the VPC and /or F-CON.

Sensei

Last edited by Choritsu-shi; 10-02-04 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-02-04, 08:43 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-05-04, 09:31 PM
T51R
Pole Position

you dont need to buy the harness kit.. you can always hot wire them into your harness. its not that hard.
yes you do need to know what chip however, I only used them on 2jzgte motor. so if you have a 2jzgte motor, with right chip . when you open the vpc .. you will see the 28pins eprom on right .. it should say chip is for what car and engine.

you can get a chip from HKS . if you are running on 2jzgte. then you can get a chip from. boostlogic, power house, SP so on.

HKS temp and prssure sensor is must for the vpc used..

yes safc with vpc will increase heck of more tunning level then GCC... like I said.. its not hard to wire up..
if you have any problem . then go to www.mkiv.com or supraforums to ask the question.

I will do VPC with safc over the VPC GCC in any day. much differfent..

I am not sure on NA-T poeple. never tried to put VPC and GCC in it.. probably will work though..
Old 10-06-04, 05:08 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

gcc is easier to wire up, just plug it in to the vpc, but does not offer the higher resolution tuning like the afc.
Old 10-06-04, 07:39 AM
MeAn_GrEEn
Driver School Candidate

Default safc

Say I cant get the vpc at the moment...if im running like 8psi will the SAFC be sufficient for now?
Old 10-06-04, 07:48 AM
T51R
Pole Position

give us your set up.... so some of us can figure out what you need.

if you are running 8psi on 2jzgte swap. no need
if you running on stock 2jzge with NA-T. 8 psi. yes you can get by with just using a safc..
Old 10-06-04, 08:00 AM
MeAn_GrEEn
Driver School Candidate

Default set up

Ok this what I have....A DaveH Kit...including DaveH manifold..Downpipe...pt51 turbo...tial 35mm wastegate..Blitz BOV...Cartech FMU...autometer Boost gauage...and im running at just under 8psi....Im not looking for much horespower right now about 300-350wrhp...All my mechanic said was get hks vpc...and something to retard timing
Old 10-06-04, 08:07 AM
MeAn_GrEEn
Driver School Candidate

on a 97 SC300 5-speed 2jz-ge NA-t
Old 10-06-04, 01:29 PM
T51R
Pole Position

ya you can get by with safc .. on 8psi..
Old 10-22-04, 01:40 PM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

woahhh... let's back-up a bit. I see that I need to elaborate on what I had said earlier so there's no misunderstandings.

Now knowing you have a GE... you actually cannot buy a harness, cause HKS doesn't make a harness for the GE, nor do they make a PROM for the GE. HKS products are primarily built for factory Japanese turbocharged vehicles. So your only choice is to wire it directly, although it's not gonna be easy. If T51R knows that it's easy, then you need to ask him the questions, not MKIV.com. The GE uses a different ECU and AFM than the GTE, which will require a different wiring diagram and ohm resistor than what MKIV.com has. In addition, I would not rely on the technical info they have. If you ever do get the VPC installed properly (doubtful), you'll still need to have a custom PROM made, once you find someone that can make one.

"safc with vpc will increase heck of more tunning level then GCC..."
I'm sorry T51R, like most American influenced hype, you are dead wrong and/or misinformed.

*The VPC eliminates the stock AFM and converts AFM signals to a speed density type system using the intake air temp and intake air pressure signals.
*The S-AFC primarily changes fuel trim by altering the AFM signals, the GCC does not. If the S-AFC is altering the AFM signals and the VPC is converting the AFM signals, they are in conflict with each other. The fact is, without the VPC neither the GCC nor the S-AFC gonna make big power changes.

MeAn_GrEEn, I don't know what a "DaveH kit" consists of, but they surely should have the answers to your questions.
I do know an S-AFC by itself is not your answer...

Sensei
Old 10-22-04, 02:13 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Choritsu-shi: you are out of touch with the na-t world.
Old 10-22-04, 03:07 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Choritsu-shi

1) Now knowing you have a GE...

2) If you ever do get the VPC installed properly (doubtful), you'll still need to have a custom PROM made, once you find someone that can make one.

3) I'm sorry T51R, like most American influenced hype, you are dead wrong and/or misinformed.

4) *The VPC eliminates the stock AFM and converts AFM signals to a speed density type system using the intake air temp and intake air pressure signals.

5) *The S-AFC primarily changes fuel trim by altering the AFM signals, the GCC does not. If the S-AFC is altering the AFM signals and the VPC is converting the AFM signals, they are in conflict with each other.

6) The fact is, without the VPC neither the GCC nor the S-AFC gonna make big power changes....I do know an S-AFC by itself is not your answer...
1) He's in Alabama and posting on a SC300/400 thread about 8 psi,the assumption should be that it's a GE

2) Why is it doubtfull? Been done dozens of times....there are chips available if you know where to look.

3) Actually T51R is right. The VPC/SAFC combo has been known to produce better and more accurate results than the VPC/GCC

4) We're talking about a 97. OBD-II cars have a Hot-Wire MAF, not the Karmann(sp?) AFM

5) Although the VPC converts from MAF to Speed-density and has a setting to increase or decrese the signal throughout the RPM range, it cannot be adjusted at different RPM intervals. The SAFC is mounted between the VPC and ECU and modifies the VPC signal at various RPM depending on where more fuel is needed. They do not conflict, they work together.

6) There's guys running over 400 HP on SAFC alone (not very smooth but running nonetheless) and this guys's target is 300-350hp at 8 psi.

It sounds to me like you do know what you're talking about, but NOT when it comes to NA-T so please use your knowledge where it applies.

~Alan
Old 10-22-04, 07:59 PM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

aliga- yes, you're probably correct... I've been having such a hard time keeping up with all the latest companies and their products that have been popping up here in the states. As you can agree, everyone has suddenly become an well experienced expert on Japanese performance since the "Fast and the Furious" was released. Of course the term "performance" being based solely upon a 5 second dyno rush or doing a qtr.mile in around 10 seconds. ...my appologies

Originally posted by SPORTcoupe
1) He's in Alabama and posting on a SC300/400 thread about 8 psi,the assumption should be that it's a GE

2) Why is it doubtfull? Been done dozens of times....there are chips available if you know where to look.

3) Actually T51R is right. The VPC/SAFC combo has been known to produce better and more accurate results than the VPC/GCC

4) We're talking about a 97. OBD-II cars have a Hot-Wire MAF, not the Karmann(sp?) AFM

5) Although the VPC converts from MAF to Speed-density and has a setting to increase or decrese the signal throughout the RPM range, it cannot be adjusted at different RPM intervals. The SAFC is mounted between the VPC and ECU and modifies the VPC signal at various RPM depending on where more fuel is needed. They do not conflict, they work together.

6) There's guys running over 400 HP on SAFC alone (not very smooth but running nonetheless) and this guys's target is 300-350hp at 8 psi.

It sounds to me like you do know what you're talking about, but NOT when it comes to NA-T so please use your knowledge where it applies.

~Alan
1) I'm sorry, I come in and out of the forums at random. It's been a while...

2)As "aliga" mentioned, I have been out of touch, and it's obvious I didn't know where to look. I would appreciate it if you could give me a link or who to contact for this?

3) WRONG ...I sincerely would like to see these results.

4) 97, 92, 94..., OBDI, OBDII, hot wire or Karmann... it doesn't matter. The VPC is designed to physically and electronically replace Air Flow and Air Mass metering devices which came on specific factory Japanese turbocharged vehicles. I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying it's not going to be that easy as everyone is making it seem. So you say it's been done a dozen times... I can accept that cause I have worked on a 98 NA-T with a VPC using a GTE PROM and it ran like ****! (it did run nonetheless, as you would say) You can turbocharge a GE but the GE never came from the factory with a turbocharger. My point being... there isn't an HKS VPC application for the GE motor.

5) good grief... Yes, I am aware of this... like an equalizer for a stereo system, the GCC (Graphic Control Computer) is specifically designed to adjust the fuel pulse duration at specific RPM intervals for either the VPC and/or F-CON. There's only one AFM signal wire going to the ECU which the VPC converts. This is also the same exact AFM signal wire the S-AFC intercepts and alters. So whether mounted in between, after or before, it doesn't matter. They both are making changes to the same ECU terminal on the same wire.
...let's look at this using something else;
Have you ever been in a room where there are two light swtches on opposite sides controlling the same light? Now imagine replacing those switches with the variable dimming type switches. You stand at one switch, I'll stand at the other. You want it bright, I want it dark... How bright is that room gonna be?
6)"not very smooth but running nonetheless"
This is where you and I differ... This is unacceptable and isn't considered "well tuned" or even "streetable" in our book.
"It sounds to me like you do know what you're talking about, but NOT when it comes to NA-T so please use your knowledge where it applies"
Yes, you are absolutely right, I am always being corrected by the American way of Japanese tuning. Although I am willing to keep an open mind and can accept when I am proven wrong. I am eager to learn new things and I am looking forward to the info you mentioned. ...again my humble appologies.

Sensei

Quick Reply: Hks Vpc