Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 Weight Reduction Worksheet

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-04, 09:03 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys, i should create one of my own threads, when i start to remove stuff from my car ill weigh them and let you guys know.
Maybe i need to start working out, so i could lose some weight myself, should help a little
Old 10-05-04, 05:27 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to let you know something about the importfan CF hoods.
the shocks won't fit on the CF hood. The nut that is molded to the hood for the hood shocks are too small for the stock shock bolt. It just doesn't fit. Completely different size. (I'm still pissed)

hood shock for CF discussion over.
Old 10-05-04, 06:30 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info. Ill keep it in mind, ill tell them about it when i buy the hood. Do you have CF trunk? If so, how does it fit?
Thanks.
Old 10-05-04, 07:51 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SliderSC
Thanks for the info. Ill keep it in mind, ill tell them about it when i buy the hood. Do you have CF trunk? If so, how does it fit?
Thanks.
I did not get the trunk. I use the trunk a lot and didn't want to break it. If you guys are thinking that this hood is going to be just as strong as the stock hoods and weigh a lot less then you guys are mistaken. This hood is probably a little sturdier than all fiberglass hood.

Also another thing about these carbon hoods. It's a double layer. but the lower layer is fiberglass and top layer is resin laid CF.
Old 10-05-04, 02:11 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by VSsc400
I did not get the trunk. I use the trunk a lot and didn't want to break it. If you guys are thinking that this hood is going to be just as strong as the stock hoods and weigh a lot less then you guys are mistaken. This hood is probably a little sturdier than all fiberglass hood.

Also another thing about these carbon hoods. It's a double layer. but the lower layer is fiberglass and top layer is resin laid CF.

this is only true of fake carbon fiber.. or carbon fiber look hoods... get a hood that is true layered carbon fiber and it will be stronger... still not as stong as eurathane.... but stronger than fiberglass.
Old 10-06-04, 02:24 AM
sc.Fred
Instructor

like SupraCoup3 said in the previous post waaaay back (been busy with school/work ) I like the idea of having a cf trunk to save weight but I'm just afraid that there might be something wrong with it like fitment and stuff like that and the fact of it being so light. However, having it is a VERY welcome idea to have and looks hella dope!
Old 10-06-04, 06:02 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

drive the car by remote control you can save about 180 lbs
The following users liked this post:
simon21 (10-05-20)
Old 10-06-04, 07:01 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Dynasty SC
this is only true of fake carbon fiber.. or carbon fiber look hoods... get a hood that is true layered carbon fiber and it will be stronger... still not as stong as eurathane.... but stronger than fiberglass.
easier said than done. Point me to where you will find true 3 layer 3kx3k dry carbon monocoque Carfon fiber hood for the SC.

the hood I have does have a layer or "real" double sided carbon fiber, this is probably the only CF hood available for the SC's in the world.

I know of no true 3 layer 3kx3k dry carbon laid CF hoor or trunk for the SC's. There however are doorskings that are 3 layer 3kx3k dry carbon monocoque(the stuff that Mclaren F1 panels are made of) but those are 10grand a pair + shipping from japan and labor to change the doorskin.
Old 10-06-04, 07:24 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

a company that makes a carbon fiber hood for the sc that is full carbon fiber and isnt oem ..... thats right not oem its more like the invader style hood is a japanese company by the name of varis they make some pretty cool stuff for the sc i like their arising body kits wing its prolly the only one i would change out my 97 spoiler for and its adjustable too!
Old 10-09-04, 02:49 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

Default stupid weight

i have a 1.6 miata 5spd and it feels just a little than my sc300 this bothers me alot concidering it only has like 90 hp, i personally am aiming for a loss of 500lbs, (my car weighs 3500lbs), then i will be at 3270lbs whitch is way better than 3770, rather than list stuff i want to remove i'll list stuff i want to keep, ac, power steering and carpet, it's gonna be my daily driver.
one question, besides all the little stuff is there any one thing a system that will yeald good savings.
i was thinking of TRYING to make door a mold to make a set of doors but there is no way i could do it without making it heavy by using more material to keep it from flexing, i'm pretty sure that if i saw the manufacture do it or i got some professional materials i could do a pretty good job.
any one ever think of this,(i'm a crazy DIY kind of guy)

by the way good thread very informative keep it comming
Old 10-09-04, 09:04 AM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

hmmz... no idea about what companies make full carbon fiber... i know that when i find the right SC i will get the parts made custom by my cousin... maybe if you guys are interested later we will actually make the mold and sell them...
Old 10-09-04, 10:00 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

im interested just keep us updated on what he can do and when he can get it

also another good way to lose weight is your bumper support not by removing it been ive seen one that was all aluminum with big holes drilled all through it .... looked pretty effective and it was on ueno's soarer so i guess it must be all good. im sure we could take off our existing ones and make them lighter right??? just a little project to think about
Old 10-09-04, 11:49 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

If it hasn't been been suggested already, you can save some weight by using 2-piece brake rotors..they are lighter and help alot with heat disapation...
Old 10-09-04, 02:09 PM
Dynasty SC
Lead Lap

aluminum bumper supports would probably be a pretty effective way to lose some weight... especially if theyre drilled... sort of like drilled brake rotors...
Old 10-09-04, 03:14 PM
SCV8
Instructor

How about just cut the entire body off the pan, remove about 10 inches, then put a 6 point cage and a $4,000 fiberglass Cobra body on the thing?
That'd lose a couple pounds.

Quick Reply: SC300 Weight Reduction Worksheet