Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The end of the road for me

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-04, 04:02 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Angry The end of the road for me

Guys,

I am sure you have all kelpt up to date with the constant problems I have been having with my car.

Well, to put the icing on the cake, today I found out I have a blown head gasket. Just when I thought nothing worse could happen, it somehow managed to.

I don't have the money to fix it, will get compeltely raped if I sell it as is. So what do I do?

THIS @#$%^&* sux

Peace,
Jonny
Old 09-27-04, 04:06 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Looks like i won the pool.

Who want's to put up a pool at $5 a person that say's that car has a glob of putty on top of the block that came from a tube of head gasket sealer ?

J, man.. look you don't have too far to go, just call aliga and let him hook you up with an engine. that'll be the cheapest thing you have done YET. I have seen you go too far to quit over a gasket.

PS- that ranger is looking pretty good now eh?

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-27-04 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 04:13 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by O. L. T.
Looks like i won the pool.

J, man.. look you don't have too far to go, just call aliga and let him hook you up with an engine. that'll be the cheapest thing you have done YET. I have seen you go too far to quit over a gasket.

PS- that ranger is looking pretty good now eh?

HAHAHA,

Well how about a POS SC400 as a prize for winning the pool~~~

I just received a tailight harness from Aliga in the mail today - he is an awesome guy. If I can somehow come up with the money to fix it, he would be the first person I would come to. Real stand up guy. How much do u think it would cost for labor. What all would I need to buy? ( car has 168k)

You are right though, I have gone through waaay too much to quit this car - but damn I am broke!!! This thing is more expensive than a baby's momma - trust me - I have one of those too!!!

Peace,

Jonny
Old 09-27-04, 04:16 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I have been in my engine bay a few times. It is slightly cramped, but well layed out so a direct swap wouldn't be all that hard. Just get you a cherry picker and remove the hood and unplug all the harnesses. a few other ins and outs and you are swapped. Forget labor, it isn't as bad as you think as long as you do a direct swap from the same engine to the same engine. after the hood is off, things become a lot more clear.

bolts off , bolts on, plugs go back in the same place.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-27-04 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 05:18 PM
slwazdsm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be a stupid question, but why not just replace the headgasket? Why there in there make sure you didn't bend any valves or damage anything else? Why jsut go straight for an engine swap?

Jes curious
Old 09-27-04, 05:33 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by slwazdsm
This might be a stupid question, but why not just replace the headgasket? Why there in there make sure you didn't bend any valves or damage anything else? Why jsut go straight for an engine swap?

Jes curious
Well, with the way my luck is going right now I am guessing it is destroyed!!

Peace,
Jonny
Old 09-27-04, 05:42 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

because getting rid of anything on this car for another item is a good idea.
Old 09-27-04, 07:45 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry bro, you must be going thru hell.

if you were local, i would have my brother install an engine for you, he has an sc4 engine from a 95 with 60K on it.

let me know what i can do for you.
Old 09-27-04, 07:56 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

If all of us SC brothers could come together and donate 5+ bucks, im sure it would all help Dx3 out a little. Come on guys, hes havin a lot of trouble.
Old 09-28-04, 09:17 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by aliga
sorry bro, you must be going thru hell.

if you were local, i would have my brother install an engine for you, he has an sc4 engine from a 95 with 60K on it.

let me know what i can do for you.
Gazi,

U da man - thank you soo much for all of your help. I received the tailight harness yesterday but unfortunately now that is the least of my worries!!.

I wish I was local too as I would love to have your brother help me. U have been an awesome help and I truly thank you for all you have done for me.

Regards,

Jonny
Old 09-28-04, 09:19 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Calvin L
If all of us SC brothers could come together and donate 5+ bucks, im sure it would all help Dx3 out a little. Come on guys, hes havin a lot of trouble.
Calvin,

That is a very heartfelt response and I thank you, but I can't take anyones money. This is unfortunately my problem so I gotta deal with it by myself. So, I probably won't have a Lexus for a long time but live and learn!

You guys are great, thank you.

Peace,

Jonny
Old 09-28-04, 02:47 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Looks like I was right when I mentioned that your overheating could be a blown head gasket. That car of yours is just unbelievable. So what are you going to do? Replace the head gasket? Junk the car? Or contact Gazi for a brand spanking new engine?
Old 09-29-04, 07:55 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Batmanwcm
Looks like I was right when I mentioned that your overheating could be a blown head gasket. That car of yours is just unbelievable. So what are you going to do? Replace the head gasket? Junk the car? Or contact Gazi for a brand spanking new engine?
Hey man,

I am not sure what to do yet - I don't have the $2000 to fix it so I guess it is going to sit for a while so I can come up with some $$$$. Thx for the concern though, most appreciated,

Thx man,

Jonny
Old 10-02-04, 07:14 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Replace the engine. Don't screw around with the head gasket. The only 1UZ HGs I have ever heard of going were because of abuse. Don't keep that engine. Hell, it's a lot less work to swap the whole thing than to do the HGs. Probably cheaper too. I hear a decent used 1UZ is like 6 or 700 over there?
Old 10-02-04, 10:59 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a used SC400 V8 engine can be had for around $400. Cheaper than part and labor to swap head gasket.

let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you.

Quick Reply: The end of the road for me