Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car died while driving. Please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-04, 12:53 AM
Kilo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died while driving. Please advise.

Hi CL. I need your help. I have already conducted a SEARH but did find exactly the answers I was looking for. With that said, please help me figure out what is wrong with my SC. Before I explain my situation, let me first say that I have a 92 SC300 with stock sound system.

For the past two weeks, I have been experiencing problems with my power steering. It would go in & out intermittenly and the little red battery light would appear when I tried to turn my wheel while at a stop (eg. parallel parking). The light never came on at any other time.

So tonight, it seemed like my PS had gone out completely and everytime I turned the wheel, while at a stop, the battery light would come on. Then, while I was driving on the highway ,my radio / guage cluster began to flicker. After about 5 mins., my headlights died and the engine stalled. I coasted to the outskirts of the offramp and tried re-starting the car with no success. This was EXTREMELY dangerous as I was on the highway offramp, with no street lights / headlights / taillights. My biggest fear was that another car would come around the curve and not be able to see me in time due to the lack of lighting. I was fortunate enough that someone was kind enought to give me a jump and enough juice to make it home. As I pulled into my driveway, the car died again.

I have already read through numerous posts and it seems like the alternator may be the likely culprit. I will have it check out tomorrow. However, I still have the following questions:

1) Why did the battery light only come on when I turned the wheel with, what felt like, no power steering?

2) Other than the alternator, what else could possible cause my car to stall in the middle of driving like that?

3) What would it typically cost for a rebuilt/ reman. alternator?

4) Does anyone have any NYC contacts that could sell me a rebuilt/reman alternator?

Thank you guys in advance. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-18-04, 01:07 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

I had similiar simptoms when my alternator died. but the battery light would come on and off when i was under 800 rpm's (shifting and not gasing it enough). and go away when i gased it back up to above 800. It would go on and off for about a day and a half then i guess since my alternator was probably dead it was just draining power from my battery and then power steering went out and the lights dimmed and the radio went out then the car died. Im pretty sure your alternator is a goner. but perhaps you can check your battery terminals i dont know if that would cause it but thats the cheapest part to replace. soon after i replaced my alternator i had to replace the terminals as they went bad. my mechanic ordered me an alternator for $170. I think perhaps it may go for a little cheaper if you go to a alternator rebuilding shop. But dont know for sure.
Old 09-18-04, 02:31 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Check to make sure your pump isn't leaking

2) check to make sure your battery terminals are tight. (loose terminals cause big problems)

3) is your battery charging correctly?

4) have you tested your alternator?
Old 09-18-04, 05:29 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my brother can get you a rebuilt one, can install also.
Old 09-18-04, 04:33 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your alternator is shot. The light coming on when you turn the steering was probably just from the PS pump loading the engine enough to slow it down.

You should have the alternator checked at a reputable shop. If you need one, I have a stock alternator out of my '96 with about 50k miles on it. I replaced it with a H/O alternator because of my stereo setup, not because anything was wrong with it. If you need it, let me know. I'll make you a good deal. Also, you can replace it yourself in about 1/2 an hour, no biggie.

PM me if you want it.
Old 09-19-04, 04:41 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Car died while driving. Please advise.

Originally posted by Kilo
1) Why did the battery light only come on when I turned the wheel with, what felt like, no power steering?

2) Other than the alternator, what else could possible cause my car to stall in the middle of driving like that?

3) What would it typically cost for a rebuilt/ reman. alternator?

4) Does anyone have any NYC contacts that could sell me a rebuilt/reman alternator?

Thank you guys in advance. Any advice is appreciated.
Hi there Kilo,

1) ? Could have a leak from somewhere in your PS system (as everyone has stated), make sure you check the resevoir (sp?), the pump and the lines for leaks. The lines get on with age as well, and since they're rubber they get brittle with age, so check these for any cracks too. The PS pump leaks with age too, but it's not positioned near the alternator (is it?) so even if it DID leak it shouldn't interfere with the alternator.

2) Battery terminals.... that was the first thing I was thinking of. Check your battery terminals if they are getting clean contact from the battery (while you've got the battery d/c clean them anyway for reassurance). My car did exactly the same problem as your (very embarassing, especially in the middle of the city, where it happened to me! ). Check if your ground wire is also getting good contact, could be a culprit.

3) Check US prices, but here in Australia it's about $400 for a rebuilt alternator.

4) Sorry dude can't help you out there

Jose

Last edited by BLK13X; 09-19-04 at 04:42 AM.
Old 09-19-04, 10:43 PM
PROMETHEUS
Driver School Candidate

Buy rebuilt ones only at authoriized retailers that will give you a warranty for at least one year, i wouldnt buy a used alternator of anyone.
Old 09-20-04, 04:52 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

great advice, what if a rebuilt alternator cost 5 times more than a used one?
Old 09-20-04, 10:07 PM
Kilo
Instructor

Thanks for everyone's input. I couldnt wait much longer so I bit the bullet and had my shop install a new alternator for me.

Good news is that the car is up and running again.

Bad news is that the battery light is still coming on when I turn the wheel while at a stop. Power steering is almost non-existent. I did a visual check and didnt see any leaks around the PS resevoir. Any additional input is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-20-04, 11:03 PM
PROMETHEUS
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by aliga
great advice, what if a rebuilt alternator cost 5 times more than a used one?
Then buy a used one just make sure it has a warranty
Old 09-20-04, 11:05 PM
PROMETHEUS
Driver School Candidate

Kilo try getting new battery contacts, did you check your battery? maybe its in the stages of dying? I bought my rebuilt alternator for $120 bucks
Old 09-21-04, 07:45 PM
Kilo
Instructor

Prometheus - I purchased a new battery along with the new alternator. Now the battery light comes on when I turn on the AC/Heater. Hmm...Strange. Defective new alternator, perhaps?
Old 09-21-04, 08:43 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it could be water in your fuel lines. there's an additive you can put in your tank that'll take care of that stuff. hmm i can't think of the name of it at the moment, maybe someone can chime in.
Old 09-22-04, 01:18 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

you should try changing your battery terminals its only 5 dollars