Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to make a clean factory looking BFI DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 09:22 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by koolcat
man im having trouble creating that one plate under the headlight. Try to use sheet of aluminum = to hard with any tool to shape it other than a needle head plier. So im trying to get some abs plastic and see if i can do something
Let me look tonight, I may have a flat pattern tracing of the one I made still laying around.
Old 05-18-10, 06:58 PM
koolcat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea thanks lmk
Old 05-18-10, 08:30 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try this

http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...1901/9186.html
Old 05-19-10, 04:15 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by v8soarer91
Ouch! One of the best things about a BFI is the cost, that does look interesting.
Old 05-20-10, 12:51 AM
SC1984
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koolcat
I have a question for u if u dont mind...I have a 99 sc300 and was bout to make my own bfi and so i looked around on planetsoarer and urs but my question is since on the 97+ sc there's a big hole right next to the fog light why don't you guys direct air directly through that big opening and create basically a tunnel that scoop air in from the opening up to the intake? I mean there must be a reason why you guys didn't do tat so im just wondering why? I mean with the way planetsoarer and ur bfi is drawing air in an L shape from the bumper bottom vent to the left into the intake so again why can't u just draw the air directly below the intake in? Is there any differences? thanks in advance
Thats exactly how I did mine. I took some aluminum and made a duct from the fog light opening to the air box. I felt a difference right away.
Old 05-20-10, 11:16 PM
koolcat
Pole Position

Well thanks for all the input but i went ahead and did it like everyone else. I was thinking if u do it from the fog light area water can easily get through to the filter. But yea i went out for a test drive pushing the car hard and once i open the hood again the aluminum cover was really hot as well as the intake box. Is tat normal? is it still getting cold air though?

Here is mine (pics)
Old 05-21-10, 06:51 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Thats awesome. but the price...Bfi is more practical.
Old 05-21-10, 08:05 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

The more I look at the the more I think it is not a good solution. It really pulls its air from a duct that is size about like the stock. I just dont know.
Old 05-12-14, 07:53 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Very nice work. I've got a spare air box front cover on the way to start cutting up for this purpose.

I was thinking an easier approach might be to add a second snorkel to the front of the air box, above the existing one, but figuring out how to route it into that space is pretty challenging. Has anyone worked out a method for that? The space on the front of the air box is pretty much perfect for two short ovals.
Old 05-12-14, 11:23 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Very nice work. I've got a spare air box front cover on the way to start cutting up for this purpose.

I was thinking an easier approach might be to add a second snorkel to the front of the air box, above the existing one, but figuring out how to route it into that space is pretty challenging. Has anyone worked out a method for that? The space on the front of the air box is pretty much perfect for two short ovals.
a snorkel would just make it a regular intake like it used to be. this is the best way to do it, no snorkels, hoses, or anything else. just stick to this and you'll be golden.
Old 05-12-14, 12:13 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldManTan
a snorkel would just make it a regular intake like it used to be. this is the best way to do it, no snorkels, hoses, or anything else. just stick to this and you'll be golden.
I don't follow your reasoning. A second snorkel would make it a similar same air volume to the BFI guide, but with a lot less work. The challenge is just where to route it.
Old 05-12-14, 08:41 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

the BFI creates a large chamber of airflow if you do all the steps, not just cut the hole in the box, you pull down the little flap in the bumper, block off driver side headlight, and block off the bottom of the pass side light. that creates a nice chamber for the air to flow through. a snorkel would just restrict airflow even more.
Old 05-31-14, 10:20 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I think I figured out a way to make my "second snorkel" idea work. The challenge is there's nowhere big enough to route a hose of sufficient diameter. But several smaller hoses can be run down below by the vertical opening alongside the power steering reservoir.

Here's my idea for where to route it to. That's looking more or less straight into the right side grill opening on the bumper, by the driving light. The vents on the left side of the pic go to the wheel well (brake cooling, I assume?). The opening on the right (center of the pic) has no purpose that I can see and is my planned mounting point. I'm guessing that's just the symmetrical equivalent of the oil cooler for RHD cars?

Anyway, I figure I can make up some sort of ABS plastic mounting plate for that opening and attach maybe half a dozen small intake hoses to it. Between that and the stock snorkel, I'm guessing that will create more airflow than the standard BFI approach, which still looks limited by the size of the intake rather than the surface area of the airbox's front panel, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails How to make a clean factory looking BFI DIY-bfi-airbox-idea-brake-cooler-venting-.jpg