Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

strange ticking noise during cooloff

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 07:07 PM
eshin116
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange ticking noise during cooloff

hey everybody,

i was wondering if any of you guys experienced ticking or pinging noises from your car after shutoff. whenever i drive for over 10 minutes or if i drive on the freeway, i hear these noises coming from under the car. does anybody know what it is and if it can be stopped? initially i thought it was the pinging/knocking noise that's been documented here, but that noise occurs during acceleration. the noise i've been experiencing is almost a metallic pinging noise and sort of high-pitched.

thanks guys, i appreciate it!
Old 08-23-04, 07:15 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its just the exhaust cooling down, when I first got my car I hated it, but I have learned to love the noise
Old 08-23-04, 07:36 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Its the CAT cooling down.
Old 08-23-04, 07:47 PM
eshin116
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

ahh... less than an hour's passed by and already i've got an answer. you guys are great!
Old 08-23-04, 09:00 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does it not exist on newer cars? Does the carbon buildup cause this?
Old 08-23-04, 09:21 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ChronoJ1
Yeh, it gets old and dirty. The dirt/buildup has to cool down and that makes noise when it falls. Sometimes its so severe that it activates car alarms!
Old 08-23-04, 10:24 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

get a high flo cat
Old 08-24-04, 09:53 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by siniquezu
get a high flo cat
Thang, will that stop the damn exhaust pinging? And how much is a high-flow cat anyways? I know a few muffler shops but I'm not sure if any of them deal in high flow products, these are hole in the wall shops near downtown. Thanks.
Old 08-24-04, 06:13 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Originally posted by ChronoJ1

Noise doesn`t came from actual catalityc but from sheet metal exhaust and manifold covers. Those covers cracks with age and fatigue, often alround screw heads.
As the sheet metal expands and contracts it generates noise between edges of the cracks and such.
Replacing shields and tightening bolts will take care of the noise if you find it bothersome...

Last edited by EUROJulian; 08-24-04 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 08:53 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont get how it could possibly bother someone so muc that they would spend time and money "fixing" it
Old 08-24-04, 09:08 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Before getting a high flow cat make sure that it will comply with california laws I've heard many peopel recomending them, but no one has posted if they pased a smog check with one.
Old 08-25-04, 10:10 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 0l33l
Before getting a high flow cat make sure that it will comply with california laws I've heard many peopel recomending them, but no one has posted if they pased a smog check with one.
Good thinking. We don't want the CHP to screw with us even more than they already do....our emission laws are strict as a ***** out here...

And Aerostar, here's a funny one for you: I went out with this chick a while ago and had dinner and so on. Afterward we had some drinks and I invited her back to my pad. Once we pulled into the garage and got out of my SC she turns to me and goes, "what's that clicking noise from your car? Is it gonna blow up?" I just said "don't worry about it" and walked her into the house. That's when the pinging started to bug me

Last edited by mikeloc24; 08-25-04 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 11:20 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Says here that high flow CATs are compatable with california laws...
Old 08-25-04, 11:29 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by EUROJulian
Those covers cracks with age and fatigue, often alround screw heads.
...Replacing shields and tightening bolts will take care of the noise if you find it bothersome...
I find these statements interesting. Would any muffler shop (or any shop) know what shields need to be replaced? Ballpark estimate on parts? I've gotten used to the ticking on my 98 but if it is a simple, and relatively inexpensive fix, I would not mind getting rid of it either.

How long does it usually take for this breakdown to happen? Meaning how often would the above service need to be performed before needing to do it again? DIY? I'm comfortable jacking up the car to replace mufflers, braces, ... I just don't know what is involved in this fix. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-25-04, 05:13 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Originally posted by Neo
I find these statements interesting. Would any muffler shop (or any shop) know what shields need to be replaced? Ballpark estimate on parts? I've gotten used to the ticking on my 98 but if it is a simple, and relatively inexpensive fix, I would not mind getting rid of it either.

How long does it usually take for this breakdown to happen? Meaning how often would the above service need to be performed before needing to do it again? DIY? I'm comfortable jacking up the car to replace mufflers, braces, ... I just don't know what is involved in this fix. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
This is loud, easy to duplicate noise. Find the general source area and then trouble spot. Go from there with estimate

On the second part I can`t say how often. To many variables

Quick Reply: strange ticking noise during cooloff