Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

This may be a stupid questions, but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-04, 10:07 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This may be a stupid questions, but...

What is it exactly that makes the SC300 so slow? I mean, a 0-60 of 7.8 sec with 225hp? That's no fun. Plenty of cars with less HP or about the same are smoking us. I realize there's not really a comparison for NA vs FI, but it just seems that we're not getting the full advantage of our power for one reason or another. I mean, other than the weight, what (specifically) is there? Just throwing a stupid question out there...interested in everyone's input. Thanks.
Old 07-26-04, 10:47 PM
97SC300
Driver

its a LUXURY car not a race car
Old 07-27-04, 12:51 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Because it weighs 3,500+lbs.
Old 07-27-04, 12:53 AM
SDJZZ31
Rookie

people who orginaly bought SC300's weren't real concered with having a fast car. If they were they just would have bought an MKIV Supra for the same price. Toyota knew this and just made it with enough power to get around.
Old 07-27-04, 06:20 AM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Okay, I suppose some people are answering my question as if it is stupid. I'm not looking for a race car. And as I stated above, I already know it's heavy. I was just wondering if there were any other SPECIFIC, MECHANICAL factors that are attributing to its poor acceleration. Just trying to gain more knowledge on this car as I'm a new owner. Thanks.
Old 07-27-04, 10:03 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by XSTeknique
I was just wondering if there were any other SPECIFIC, MECHANICAL factors that are attributing to its poor acceleration.
It's missing the two snail shell thing-a-majigs that the supra has.

Seriously though, it's a 3.0L N/A engine... don't expect a lot out of it. It's not tuned like a BMW 6 Inline, it far more conservative, and every 2JZ-GE was born to be boosted. That's why it's slow NA.
Old 07-27-04, 11:37 AM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Snail looking things...now what might those be? They turbocharged the Audis and they're crap, why go cheap on our SC's? That's not very fair. Thanks guys, just wondering if there was any thing in particular that could be changed that was greatly hindering performance. But I guess they really did just give us a non-turbo 2JZ, without raising compression or anything. Damn you Toyota!
Old 07-27-04, 12:14 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Snail looking things...now what might those be? They turbocharged the Audis and they're crap, why go cheap on our SC's? That's not very fair. Thanks guys, just wondering if there was any thing in particular that could be changed that was greatly hindering performance. But I guess they really did just give us a non-turbo 2JZ, without raising compression or anything. Damn you Toyota!
they did raise the compression, but the GE is still slow

You can run S-AFC and smooth out the powerband and gain some HP... the engines are rather conservatively tuned. I've heard 25 rwhp, but I don't know if that's true or not... I'll find out soon enough

John
Old 07-27-04, 12:40 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

25rwhp gained from a run with an S-AFC isn't too shabby. If you could get confirmation on that, that'd be great. As much as i'd LOVE to have 580+rwhp, I have neither the money nor patience for such a project at this time. Been there, done that. Thanks alot Supra.
Old 07-27-04, 02:56 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

torque converter bumps your 0-60 down to about 6 seconds (so i've heard) which also makes driving FAR more fun

but ask yourself this, is $1000 really worth 1 second and a whole lot of fun?
Old 07-27-04, 05:57 PM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 97 5spd Sc300. It think i can do 0-60 in around 6 to 6.5 seconds. It is a bit slow off the start but once you get it above the 3k power band it feels like it moves, I am able to keep up with SC400's and take on most hondas out there: integras preludes, accords civics etc. that are not heavily modified. It's really a drivers car, you can make it move fast depending on how hard you drive it.
Old 07-27-04, 07:46 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

ok now lets go back in time...the SC design was created in the mid to late 80's...how many cars were turbo charged back then...porsche's, ferrari's...and a few others but not nearly as many as in the early 90's...so in a sense it was ahead of its time...im sure they knew about all of the other car makers that were coming out with turbo's but lexus's number one goal was to put Mercedes-Benz on its A$$..and their competiton was not turbo charged..so why do it..later ofter nissan made the 300ZX and it was i a hit everyone started scrambling....and so as the luxury market changes so will Lexus....my 2 cents!

CEO
Old 07-27-04, 07:55 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

lexus had a Twin Turbo SC... the 2.5 GT Soarer... they obviously didn't think there was a market for it over here, just like they thought there isn't a market for the aristo V300

Lexus is changing, but they're moving in the hybrid direction. It's pretty cool, but it's not the crazy-go-nuts HP days of the 2JZ
Old 07-27-04, 07:59 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

We always get shafted...what else is new? I'm sure Lexus is moving in a good direction both performance and economic wise, but in the meantime, we're still screwed. And me with my auto tranny...as for $1,000 worth 1 second? Not really. With that, I'd much rather put it towards a nice kit and remind myself that no matter how heavy and slow my damn car may be...it's one sexy looking Lexus. Hehe.
Old 07-28-04, 11:10 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

i guess since your car is younger (97) with the vvt-i technology, it should be considerably quicker. me, i have a 95 auto Sc300, it is not fast enough to satisfy me, but im still happy with her. many sites with info on the Sc300 says the 95's did the 0-60 in 7.5, or 7.0, some even said 6.7. one day when i have the time ill time myself and get it on video.

Quick Reply: This may be a stupid questions, but...